HP ProBook 5330m - i5 - HD3000 - Dual boot with Mavericks and Win8 EFI

wheeliemonster

76 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm back again!

All working well on ML, but of course, being the kind of person that I am, I'm now thinking of going for Mavericks! (sorry)

I've created my Mav USB installer which is working fine, but when I get to the install OSX piece, it tells me that OSX can't be installed on the existing OSX partition? What am I missing? It feels like it's something obvious that I'm going to kick myself over!

I'm hoping to install it there to do an "upgrade", rather than having to reinstall all of my programs. I know I'll have to sort out kexts, etc. as per the ML install but I want to avoid all the application installs...

Thanks again!

If you don't mind, reformatting the partition can help.

EDIT: Try this http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3926

OK, well that didn't go so well!

I didn't have a USB HDD available, so I created an HFS partition on the hard drive and made a TM backup to it.

I then booted to Mav USB and tried to Erase the existing OSX partition so I could install Mav to it. However, I got an error "Mediakit reports not enough space on device" so Erase wouldn't work.

So I booted to a Linux live CD and ran gparted to try to delete/recreate the HFS partition so I could install OSX. No joy anywhere.

No matter what I do with the partition, Mav installer will not allow me to install to this partition.

Any ideas? I still have my TM backup, but no longer have an OSX install... :(

Still says same - OS X cannot start up from this disk (I think that's it. Will confirm exact message shortly)

EDIT: Confirmed, that's the message.

EDIT2: I think I had a similar issue when starting out with ML after creating the partition with gparted, because it doesn't enable journaling, so I did that in Disk Util and it solved it, but it hasn't fixed it this time...

Should I use HFS+ in gparted or HFS?

EDIT3: From reading the manpages of gdisk (http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/gdisk.html), there is a statement about some OSes leaving a 128MiB space after their partitions to allow for disk utilities to work. Maybe that's the problem. I'll re-create my OSX partition with a gap after it, to see if Disk Util will then be able to erase it. (can't hurt to try!)

Unfortunately, that didn't work. Still the installer says it cannot start up from this disk. I tried deleting the gparted-created partition and creating a new one using DIsk Utility.

It deletes the partition OK, but then seems to hang on creating the new partition?

Can't restore from TM as it can't erase the target partition.

Installer log says missing CoreServices. Could it be my smbios?

Got it sorted.

OSX installer was looking for a 200Mb (exactly 200Mb) EFI partition. My Clover partition was only 100Mb so it didn't like it. I created a new 200Mb EFI partition, copied all the Clover/Windows boot files in and now OSX let's me install.

I also made sure that there was 128Mb unallocated space after my OSX partition. Not sure if that was required but better to be safe.

Only problem now is that I have Mavs installed but it won't boot - I get the dreaded "still waiting for root device".

Grrrrr.

I've tried various kexts - LegacyAhciintelichxx, legacyahcijmicron and so on but still no joy.

You don't by chance have any kexts you could share that might work?

PS. I'm not sure whether the kexts are being used though. I'm having to copy them into the EFI partition using Windows so I don't know if they're "installed" correctly. Can I use any of the kext installers or another method when booting via the OSX installer?

I've tried various kexts - LegacyAhciintelichxx, legacyahcijmicron and so on but still no joy.

You don't by chance have any kexts you could share that might work?

PS. I'm not sure whether the kexts are being used though. I'm having to copy them into the EFI partition using Windows so I don't know if they're "installed" correctly. Can I use any of the kext installers or another method when booting via the OSX installer?

You can use Linux to copy.

Or try using myHack Installer usb to boot to your Mavericks first. Boot with -f bootflag.

Yeah - really struggled with Mavericks. It would not boot no matter what I did with it. I tried kexts everywhere but nothing worked.

I tried booting from Chameleon but all I could get was "still waiting for root device"

Have managed to restore from my TM backup so am back to ML (but now with a nicely working Broadcom WLAN card!)

Will try again for Mavericks soon. Maybe I can backup a few kexts from ML, now that I'm back up and running and see if I can get it to boot. Thanks for your help... B)

Yeah - really struggled with Mavericks. It would not boot no matter what I did with it. I tried kexts everywhere but nothing worked.

I tried booting from Chameleon but all I could get was "still waiting for root device"

Have managed to restore from my TM backup so am back to ML (but now with a nicely working Broadcom WLAN card!)

Will try again for Mavericks soon. Maybe I can backup a few kexts from ML, now that I'm back up and running and see if I can get it to boot. Thanks for your help... B)

It's strange that it only happens when you use Mavericks, not Mountain Lion. Check if you have any AHCI, SATA drivers in S/L/E (you can filter for non-Apple kexts in System Information - Extensions).

Excuse my ignorance but I can't find a way to filter the list for non-apple kexts?

Anyway - I spotted something - during boot it gives the UUID of the device it's trying to boot from and that appears to be the wrong UUID.

It looks like it's trying to boot from my TM partition.

Is there a way to specify the UUID of the boot volume in the boot loader?

I also checked the info.plist in the bootable Mavericks USB S/L/E/AppleAHCIPort.kext and my device ID for the SATA controller is there, so I don't think it's a kext issue to be honest. I do think it's the bootloader detecting the wrong 'root' volume ID to boot from.

• 5 months later...

Hi all, i just install mavericks on Hp 5330m, currently i'm using chameleon cause the sleep/wake with UEFI mode, and i wonder that anyone solves the brightness issue ?

i checked the dsdt, the _BCL control method is odd, there is no ten or sixteen steps under it but a register "BCL  ". After google some websites, it seems that no one has a solution.  

Hi all, i just install mavericks on Hp 5330m, currently i'm using chameleon cause the sleep/wake with UEFI mode, and i wonder that anyone solves the brightness issue ?

i checked the dsdt, the _BCL control method is odd, there is no ten or sixteen steps under it but a register "BCL  ". After google some websites, it seems that no one has a solution.

Patch your DSDT by using Probook Installer (Chameleon version).