HP ProBook 5330m - i5 - HD3000 - Dual boot with Mavericks and Win8 EFI

wheeliemonster

76 posts in this topic

Thanks pokenguyen. I now see the 'retro' GUI :)  and have two boot options - OSX and Windows and both boot fine.

Wake up from sleep is still an issue though - would it help if I used the ProBook Installer to configure "sleep-to-disk" instead of "sleep-to-RAM"?

Other than that, it still sometimes doesn't boot OSX (Chameleon or Clover - makes no difference) - it looks like it completes everything up to and including Bluetooth but then fails. I believe this is at the stage where it initiates full-res graphics for the main OSX GUI, but my video card seems to be installed correctly and I get full HW acceleration.

Anyway, I'm guessing this may be as far as I can go for now - if so, then so be it, I'm very happy with how far I've got anyway!!  :thumbsup_anim:

Sure. Can't remember where my original DSDT is though - do I boot with -x to not use it or can I extract it even though I've booted using a patched one?

If you want to extract original DSDT, press F4 in Clover boot screen, all your DSDT, SSDT will be saved to /EFI/ACPI/origin/ folder.

Replace OsxLowMemFixDrv-64.efi by OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI.

About reboot after wake, it's limitation of your system. It does not support UEFI fully, I don't find any workaround yet. If you use Legacy bootloader like Chameleon, it can sleep fine (but you can't boot Windows UEFI).

Do you have Wifi working? What Wifi card does your laptop have?

• Like 1

Cool. Thanks. I'll replace the driver.

Laptop has Intel WiFi so I'm using a Ralink based Cisco USB for WiFi and its working fine if a little clunky.

I do appreciate the problems with sleep are down to circumstances rather than configuration, so I'd just like to say thank you once more and hopefully maybe an update to Clover or the HP BIOS will solve my problem one day (although I won't be holding my breath for an HP fix!)

Cheers

Genius! Just had my first successful wake after sleep after replacing the driver in Clover. Thank you.

Have only tested twice so far so I may be jumping the gun but even if it works most of the time this is great...

Bluetooth works, as does my USB wireless after sleep. Magic.

Just looking around for a Broadcom card now. Thanks dude, you have been so helpful. Marking this thread as solved. Hopefully it will be of help to someone else.

Genius! Just had my first successful wake after sleep after replacing the driver in Clover. Thank you.

Have only tested twice so far so I may be jumping the gun but even if it works most of the time this is great...

Bluetooth works, as does my USB wireless after sleep. Magic.

Just looking around for a Broadcom card now. Thanks dude, you have been so helpful. Marking this thread as solved. Hopefully it will be of help to someone else.I'

I'm afraid that it's only a temporary solution, your laptop will still reset after ~30 minutes after wake, but you can get better luck sometimes.

Cheers.

Hi could someone help me im stuck!

I have maverick disk0s2 up and running in UEFI mode using clover on efi partition disk0s1

I have a empty hfs+ partition for my win8.1 install

The disk is in guid partition table

So I boot up from Windows install DVD got to setup and chose the empty partition all in Uefi mode

It creates the 4 partitions for Windows

1 recovery

2 ?

3 mrs

4 Windows

When click install it halts and says "Windows cant boot for next installation steps"

What I'm I doing wrong here?

Any help would be welcome

Ok will try with all drives removed got a lot drives attached

Could it also be that there are to many partitions?

When Windows creates its 4 partitions it looks like this

Disk0s1 efi (clover)

Disk0s2 osx

Disk0s3 recovery (win)

Disk0s4 ?

Disk0s5 msr v(win efi partition)

Disk0s6 windows system

Is it maybe a problem because of the first clover efi partition that win thinks it can't reboot during install proces? Maybe I should temporary remove this clover efi partition?

Think you are right. I have two sata HD , with 3 partion each.

Windows 8.1 on the first HD and first Partion. The 3 mac os on the others.

I think Win 7 only sees 3/4 partions.

I think it is a good ideal to restore mac to a usb HD , 60G min. so you can recover easy.

I use Chameleon boot 2266. 

Ok will try with all drives removed got a lot drives attached

Could it also be that there are to many partitions?

When Windows creates its 4 partitions it looks like this

Disk0s1 efi (clover)

Disk0s2 osx

Disk0s3 recovery (win)

Disk0s4 ?

Disk0s5 msr v(win efi partition)

Disk0s6 windows system

Is it maybe a problem because of the first clover efi partition that win thinks it can't reboot during install proces? Maybe I should temporary remove this clover efi partition?

Your configuration is fine, I even had more partition and Windows can still boot fine. EFI partition is a must, do not delete it or you have to reinstall everything.

I had SSD + HDD in my system, and Windows UEFI wouldn't let me install in SSD until I removed HDD. After install, I can use HDD again.

Think you are right. I have two sata HD , with 3 partion each.

Windows 8.1 on the first HD and first Partion. The 3 mac os on the others.

I think Win 7 only sees 3/4 partions.

I think it is a good ideal to restore mac to a usb HD , 60G min. so you can recover easy.

I use Chameleon boot 2266. 

You're using Chameleon and Legacy Windows, there's no problem with that installation. He's using Clover and Windows UEFI.

Yes with cameleon in legacymode it does work but i want it in uefi mode and i cant get it to work it makes the partitions but then i het an error saying it cant reboot for the installation procedure

Im gone try with all hdd disconected and after the error make the Windows efi partition the first boot option in BIOS and try again

Oh in efi clover i dont have any Windows related efi or drivers yet could this also be a problem? Maybe i should ntfs.efi in drivers map?

Hi guys,

I'm back again!

All working well on ML, but of course, being the kind of person that I am, I'm now thinking of going for Mavericks! (sorry)

I've created my Mav USB installer which is working fine, but when I get to the install OSX piece, it tells me that OSX can't be installed on the existing OSX partition? What am I missing? It feels like it's something obvious that I'm going to kick myself over!

I'm hoping to install it there to do an "upgrade", rather than having to reinstall all of my programs. I know I'll have to sort out kexts, etc. as per the ML install but I want to avoid all the application installs...

Thanks again!