No Install Boot (smcReadKeyAction Err) - Z87X-UD3H / I7-4770

DBoy

12 posts in this topic

I've been attempting to give this a shot for the last few days and am unfortunately failing miserably. I'm attempting to install Mavericks GM on my new system (simply cause I couldn't seem to find a proper way to install 10.8.5 on a USB). I'm using information and FILES found here that relates to my board, and myHack to help getting things rolling with setting up my USB.

Here's my specs for those wondering:

MB: Z87X-UD3H (BIOS F7)

CPU: I7 4770

Mem: Mushkin 2x8GB

SSD: ADATA sx900 128GB

GPU: Asus GTX 760 2GB (plugged in by both HDMI, and DVI. Same time and one at a time)

HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda (Unplugged during install)

HDD2: 2TB Seagate Barracude (Unplugged during install)

Essentially, I'm running 10.8.3 in a VM on my current Windows installation (Hoping to delete soon enough..), popping my USB in (I have a 2.0 and 3.0 USB that I've tried), running myHack with the Mavericks GM.app. Afterwards, I replace the kext files provided in the tutorial I linked above (overwriting, chmod, and chown over what myHack installed), and then added smbios and manually entered the entry in the chameleon plist to use that SMBios. Note that I'm only doing these extra options because without them it wasn't working either.

Boot tags I've tried are the usual, GraphicsEnabler yes and no, PCIRootUID 1 and 0, -x, -v, -f. Nada.

Running -v -f, this is what appears on my screen before it goes completely black and nothing happens (and my computer shutting down after about 5 minutes).

15rxhmd.jpg

Same thing happens in Safemode, except the smcReadKeyAction.

Would anyone have any suggestions for me? I previously had an ASUS board with a 2700k and it was a breeze to install, just this Haswell is giving me a bit of issue. Any help is appreciated!

Try installing with the FakeSMC kext that's provided by myHack e.g. FakeSMC.kext version 4.0.

Did you rebuild kextcache with myHack (e.g. Run myFix ==> Quick) after replacing the kext files?

Good practice is to start fiddling with sound, ethernet, etc after you successfully booted into your install.

Gave it a shot and made progress! Thank you!

So I remade my myHack USB. I kept the FakeSMC it provides. I edited my Chamillion boot list to Graphic Enabler no, I removed a kext called Applekextexclusionlist (as I read it helps with mavericks), then ran myfix, and booted! I still get the errors from before now but I get a grey screen with the mouse working.

I let it sit for maybe 45 minutes, but the mouse icon is still spinning. Tried with and without -f. What would be my next step?

EDIT: Got in to safemode! Except, myHack doens't run in safemode correctly so I'm avoiding an install at the moment. I suspect that means there's a kext file my PC isn't agreeing with?

I have F7 installed, and it all completely configured found from tutorials on this board, including IGPU.

I read that AppleHDA may be the problem. I've deleted that, and regenerated my caches, but still it seems like I'm stuck on the wheel.

AppleHDA is not the problem as you get stuck also after removing it. Lots of things you can try. Remove your GTX 760 and try installing with the IGPU. Use the latest chameleon for this. Are you sure your myHack USB install is OK? I had the same hanging on grey screen when I had a faulty myHack install creation. You should not have those SMC errors. I'm going to reboot into my myHack install partition to check this. If at first you don't succeed, try again and again.

Edit : No SMC errors whatsoever when I boot into the myHack install partition. Takes about a minute or two to get to the language selection screen.

post-1589-0-44953200-1381713807_thumb.png

post-1589-0-24336700-1381714283_thumb.png

post-1589-0-15542200-1381714295_thumb.png

Really appreciating the help, Kryten!

You were right, AppleHDA didn't do anything, so I tried something different. I took AppleHDA.kext, HDAEnabler1.kext, and AppleIntelE1000e.kext from here. I redid my cache and booted up my myHack with just -v, and it works! Got in to Mavericks, and installed! Another step done!

Though, of course, I didn't expect it to be that easy. After installing, and attempting to boot for the first time, with -v, and -v -f, I get this and it stops there. Note I don't actually have a bluetooth device connected at all.

29cs80g.jpg

To add, I had previously tried with removing my video card. and the latest chameleon as well (though I will double check and see what it does with the newly installed system!)

@DBoy

Looking at your last screenshot it looks like a graphics problem. System is up and running you just don't see the desktop. For your GTX 760 you need GraphicsEnabler=No. You could also try to unplug/replug your monitor.

although i'm not sure at all how and why ;-), i solved this for myself by using -f npci=0x2000

Gave it a shot, it's a no go unfortunately. :( Gave 0x3000 a shot too.

@DBoy

Looking at your last screenshot it looks like a graphics problem. System is up and running you just don't see the desktop. For your GTX 760 you need GraphicsEnabler=No. You could also try to unplug/replug your monitor.

Gave both a shot, no deal. :(

I did make a bit more progress however. I reinstalled except with the latest FakeSMC from Sourceforge. I can do boot in to safemood after install with 'GraphicsEnabler=No -f -v -x', but get the screenshot as above. Note the screen doesn't go black, it just sticks on that Bluetooth problem. I noticed, Kryten, that you seemed to have the same problem in the tutorial thread here, seems to be the same issue I'm having. How did you end up fixing it?

Gave it a shot, it's a no go unfortunately. :( Gave 0x3000 a shot too.

Gave both a shot, no deal. :(

I did make a bit more progress however. I reinstalled except with the latest FakeSMC from Sourceforge. I can do boot in to safemood after install with 'GraphicsEnabler=No -f -v -x', but get the screenshot as above. Note the screen doesn't go black, it just sticks on that Bluetooth problem. I noticed, Kryten, that you seemed to have the same problem in the tutorial thread here, seems to be the same issue I'm having. How did you end up fixing it?

To be honest I can't remember how I solved it. Perhaps it had something to do with the files user naidb kindly provided. I needed a DSDT.aml to get the internal graphics going. Also it just hit me that you're using a core i7 4770 CPU (thought you made a typo in your first post). Looking at the post Swiftie made in the other thread you need to disable VT-d (in your BIOS) to avoid the many SMC errors. What smbios.plist are you using?

• 2 weeks later...

A long overdue update!

I in the end make it work!

Here's the procedure I used for anyone else who may run in to this issue.

-Use myHack to create a USB with the latest version of Mavericks from the app store.

-Download the latest FakeSMC and make sure to add the Plugins in to the 'Plugins Folder' within the kext.

-Download the latest AppleIntelE1000e.kext 

-Copy both files on to your USB in directory /System/Library/Extensions

-Run myHack again but select 'Run myFix', and then Quick.

-Reboot your PC, use bootflags 'GraphicsEnabler=No -v'

Done! Boots, and installs, then boot with the same flags again. :)

Notes: I couldn't get AppleHDA to work, ended up using VoodooHDA and works just fine. :)