problems with native keyboard and touchpad...

kiasta

16 posts in this topic

I seen the earlier post about going into the terminal and typing this:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo find ApplePS2Controller.kext -type d -exec /bin/chmod 0755 {} \;

sudo find ApplePS2Controller.kext -type f -exec /bin/chmod 0644 {} \;

to fix my keyboard and mouse issues however, I'm not sure how to get to the terminal and I don't have a USB keyboard so i cant even log into os x at all.

*EDIT* I edited the text to make it correct *EDIT*

I read the FAQ's, I read the HOW TO's, and i read most of all the posts about the subject to get this to work...how do you get into the terminal without logging into OS X??? The reason i can't log in is because it says that there is no keyboard plugged in and to restart along with some stupid music, and a picture of a keyboard. Booting from the DVD and using the terminal does not work none of the commands work at all not even through VMware (which my touchpad and keyboard work fine in).

perhaps im asking too hard of a question...ill just ask a stupid f***ing noob question OMG HELPPPP MY KEYBOARD AND MOUSE DONT WORK!! WHAT SHOULD I DO?????? now hopefully someone will give me a response...

ZOMG PLLLLZZZZZZ FIGUR IT OUT.

hope this helps.

lol, ok i'll be more helpful, has it ever worked before, if yes then i can help you, if no use the search function.

boot into os x with -v -x -s switches, then type in

mount -uw / 
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext
(this ^^ may fail so continue on to the next part)

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

sh /etc/rc

If your keyboard works after this then once u get into os x remove the kextcahce's and add those two lines of code (kextunload and kextload) to into your /etc/rc file at the very bottom just before exit0 and after the last entry you see. then save the /etc/rc and your keyboard should work. If not i cant help anymore

• 2 weeks later...

I added both lines of the code to /etc/rc file but every time i reboot I have to plug in a kb and a mouse and run the kextload from the terminal to get it to work. after that the builtin kb and touchpad work fine...until another reboot.

how can I get this to occur durnig boot?

I guess all im asking is why isnt this rc script running the kextload of ApplePS2Controller.kext or if it is running why isnt it working. once im loaded in the os, if i run it, then it works fine.

Is there a log i can check to see if theres an error? Can somebody throw me a bone?

your post on fixing the native keyboard drivers is very helpful.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=29187&hl=

I wonder if you have a suggestion for a small problem i am experiencing in relation to this fix.

I added the lines you suggested to the /etc/rc file. but it doesnt seem to load the driver at boot. At the login prompt I still get the messages that there isnt a keyboard or mouse attached. I cant find any refference in the logs to the kextload being run.

How can I make sure that ApplePS2Controller.kext is loaded prior to login?

1) Have you reapired the permissions on the Kext?

If not boot into -s mode and type

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

2) after that edit he rc file and make you have edited it correctly i.e just before it says exit 0 at the bottom add your kextload statements, if you are using a laptop just kextload the other PS2 devices as well (/System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Trackpad.kext and /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext)

Just add those after a kextload statement and it will load it at startup, also make sure you have save the file before you reboot (Ctrl+O)

Reboot and voila, your keyboard/trackpad will either work or it will not if it doesnt give it a shot one more time under -x mode and if it doesnt well, Bad luck. and Kiasta, you dont have write permissions becuase you didnt follow my instructions, you have to type mount -uw /.

Oh and one more thing if your keyboard has never worke dit will not work get a USB one (i.e if you cant type anything in -x -s mode)

thanks for the prompt response.

I belive i followed your instructions correctly. I have even tried loading the other PS2 devices as you have suggested. I'll try again.

It occurs to me now that I may not have edited the rc file in single user mode I could have done it through the terminal after connecting a usb keyboard. Would that make a difference?

I'll try it all again now and see what happens. I will post an excerpt of my /etc/rc file shortly also

Is there some way I can validate that the kextload executes through a log or somthing?

It wouldnt make a difference about which way you edited it as long as you edited it right and saved it.

And you can check to to see where your kextload should load by entering this above the kextload statements in your /etc/rc file echo "Loading PS2 Kexts"

ok, im not sure what happened but now it wont boot past a singleuser prompt. I booted into singleuser mode, chmoded and chowned the kext file, edited the rc file adding the lines for the other PS2 devices then rebooted now I cant get past a prompt.

I just completed downloading JaS's 10.4.6 install dvd I think i'll try a reinstall then do the modifications.

• 3 weeks later...
1) Have you reapired the permissions on the Kext?

If not boot into -s mode and type

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

2) after that edit he rc file and make you have edited it correctly i.e just before it says exit 0 at the bottom add your kextload statements, if you are using a laptop just kextload the other PS2 devices as well (/System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Trackpad.kext and /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext)

Just add those after a kextload statement and it will load it at startup, also make sure you have save the file before you reboot (Ctrl+O)

Reboot and voila, your keyboard/trackpad will either work or it will not if it doesnt give it a shot one more time under -x mode and if it doesnt well, Bad luck. and Kiasta, you dont have write permissions becuase you didnt follow my instructions, you have to type mount -uw /.

Oh and one more thing if your keyboard has never worke dit will not work get a USB one (i.e if you cant type anything in -x -s mode)

I dont get 2 & how do i edit the rc file?

Thanx.