Screen goes blank running 10.6.8. Not video card

mshatkus

4 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I recently booted up my system and 10-15 seconds later the screen went blank.  My 1st thought was damn my monitor just died.  After hooking the box up to a TV, it did the same thing.  After full boot to desktop, 10 seconds later screen shuts off.  Maybe it's the video card.  nope, replaced that with a new one (not positive which one at the moment, can't log into ebay while at work) but it was on the list as working OOB on the wiki with 10.6.  Nonetheless it did the same thing, after full bootup, desktop in front of me, the screen goes blank.  Now the machine is still running because I am able to ftp to it from a MacBook with no issues.  Now once the screen goes blank, I am able to unplug the monitor and plug it back in and the screen will come on for another 10 seconds and go blank again

here is a youtube video I made to show the screen going blank http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcX4us_qZz0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUCHTINW64gy70tkQzcdAMlg

Has anyone run into this before?  Thoughts/ideas?

Thank you for any help you can provide

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

an update...I tried everything on that link you posted and nothing worked.  So I had a spare 1TB HDD so I thought i would start over and see what happens.  So I removed the CMOS battery, set all the appropriate BIOS settings and before I could even do all that the screen went black.  Looks like it may be hardware related, but not the Video card since I've already tried another one.  Any thoughts on what piece of hardware it could be??

Thanks in advance