Flush PowerMac

nickjf20

6 posts in this topic

So, here begins my second PowerMac conversion, this time armed with prior experience and more help from Minihack!

The plan so far is to epoxy the plate flush with the rear of the PowerMac and then paint/powdercoat it as a whole unit, similar to Mike7060's Mod

Here is the subject - a near mint condition PowerMac G5 that stopped working only a few weeks ago. 

Apologies for the pink carpet, I'll get some better vanity shots once it's home.

9468269048_af567d953c_c.jpg

And here is the plate that Minihack created next to the PMac

9465488717_2efb3ee801_b.jpg

It of course lines up beautifully

9468270026_789e78e0cd_b.jpg

9468268386_9b01661027_b.jpg

It's a shame I can't use the original IO - it looks brilliant, but it seems like too much fuss for 2 USB2 ports to cut and then solder the original IO

9465489579_1a4b907eb8_z.jpg

Upon opening the door, I think I can see why it's broken ... black heatsink - not good!

9468269374_953437097e_c.jpg

Any comments or advice on which epoxy to use (JB Weld, Generic Aluminium Epoxy etc..), or anything at all would be helpful!

• Like 3

I used JB Weld with good success. Didnt snap off under load. I didnt even scratch the metal for a 'good' bond - I did however use some Simple Green to clean it throughly. I dont know how expensive it is there, but it was pretty cheap here and only like a buck more than the generic stuff at Home Depot.

• 1 year later...

Well, a bit of an update - I drilled quite a few holes in the panel after filling with epoxy (sadly the 5 minute stuff) and err, the results weren't brilliant 

YY5KHpa.jpg

I'm not sure whether it's the fact that I was leaving so little of the epoxy or that it was the quick set variety, but it isn't promising 

Anyway, I'll try and work something out - if anyone has any input I'd appreciate it!