Realtek RTL8168/8111 Ethernet Adapter just stopped working

RedEG6

5 posts in this topic

It's been a long time since I've tinkered with my build - Lion 10.7.3 Never updated to a higher version since, IMHO, my build is perfect (well save for sleep, but I really don't need it). It has also been a couple of weeks since I last used Lion, but this morning I just could not connect to the internet. when I check the System Configuration, it says my PC is unplugged (I'm using DSL) but when I check the back of my CPU, the cable is physically connected to the ethernet/LAN port. I've unplugged-plugged it just to check if that will work, but no results. I can verify that I have a connection to the internet when I boot to my Win7 (which is what I'm using right now). I have not updated anything major (not even updating to 10.7.5). It was only the Sophos Anti-Virus that was updated the last time I used my Lion and even after the update, the Lion was still working - I was downloading some Guitar Lessons via Garage Band.

so any solutions or anybody encountered this problem before?

I downloaded the RTL8111 kext here I'll try to rebuild the kext because I can't remember if I used the "many animals" utility from "that famous site" to install my kexts before.

I did see that there is a new driver for the RTL8111, however I don't want to mess around with it as of the moment because my problems become more complicated. It might be my last solution though.

Thanks so much for any help.

nah, i don't mess around with the BIOS. but here's the thing, after installing a new IONetworking.kext and a new Realtek RTL8111.kext, nothing was still happening. i decided to delete the IONetworking.kext and leave the Realtek8111.kext. moments after deleting the IONetworking.kext, my Lion just connected itself automatically. i'm not sure if that is the right solution or what. but i'm back connected to the net. I just rebuilt my kext cache and will see if i can log in again with a net connection.

celebrated prematurely, after the above and logging back in, no internet again and System Preferences was hanging when I click on Network. so I deleted the Realtek kext I left and installed the new version of IONetwork kext, rebuilt the cache, restart and here I am back in the saddle.

I hope you guys don't mind what I'm doing, because you'll never know who might encounter the same problem and by doing this, I hope I can or I was able to provide some sort of help.

still acting up. sheesh...

with the "new" IONetworking kext installed (stock kext with the official realtek kext plugin), i got random hangs. it can range from Lion letting me use the PC for 40mins (give or take) or a few minutes after restart. i'll post the log tomorrow, in the meantime i'll give this thing a rest.

hopefully somebody could chime in with some solutions. my brain is melting at the moment for solutions, because like i said above, my setup worked perfectly before then it just threw a diva b*tch act this morning.