No ACHI AMD build ? N68-VS3 FX

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone !!!

As the thread title says my motherboard is an AM3+ motherboard.

I know you can install OS X on AMD but this motherboard has no AHCI, which I see allot as an OS X requirement .

My Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.4 GHz

8gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 MHz RAM

EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 TI SC

ASRock N68-VS3 FX 

OCZ CoreXStream 500 W PSU

If this is possible can you link me a to forum thread on how to do this.

If this cant be done i would be a little disappointed but I am getting a 3330 for Christmas so its not that bad.

Thanks

kXYSys0.pngThat motherboard does support AHCI, you are mistaken.

If you don't see it in BIOS try updating BIOS to v1.80

Hi

Just updated the BIOS to 1.80 like you said but under where it says IDE and RAID there is no AHCI

What can I do? Do I need to wait till Christmas for the Intel ?

Sorry you might be right, if AHCI is not enabled when you use Optimized Defaults you might not have it.

This is an IDE/SATA2 board so it's a bit dated as far as the SATA controller.

Try installing OS X with Optimized Defaults and see what happens.

Sorry you might be right, if AHCI is not enabled when you use Optimized Defaults you might not have it.

This is an IDE/SATA2 board so it's a bit dated as far as the SATA controller.

Try installing OS X with Optimized Defaults and see what happens.

I tried an install with iDeneb 1.4 ( It's all i had on me at the moment apart from a retail Snow Leopard disk.)

I got a stop sign during boot with the grey Apple logo.

Upon using -v I got still waiting for root device.

I guess I need to wait for that i5 then huh. 

I tried an install with iDeneb 1.4 ( It's all i had on me at the moment apart from a retail Snow Leopard disk.)

I got a stop sign during boot with the grey Apple logo.

Upon using -v I got still waiting for root device.

I guess I need to wait for that i5 then huh. 

Yep, not detecting HDD.

If you won't do overclock, go for a H77-DS3H or a B75M-D3H, because both of them will allow you Ivy Bridge CPUs, meaning HD4000 graphics onboard and no need for an additional discrete card. The B75M doesn't have PCI-e x1 slots, so if you need wi-fi, you'll need an USB dongle.

All the best!

• Like 1

If you won't do overclock, go for a H77-DS3H or a B75M-D3H, because both of them will allow you Ivy Bridge CPUs, meaning HD4000 graphics onboard and no need for an additional discrete card. The B75M doesn't have PCI-e x1 slots, so if you need wi-fi, you'll need an USB dongle.

All the best!

Thanks allot dude :D

• Like 1

You're welcome. Whatever your choice, make sure your monitor has either a DVI or HDMI port: VGA (D-SUB) is possible in theory, but usually is very hard to get working with integrated graphics, usually forcing you to buy a discrete card ultimately.

A cheap Ivy Bridge CPU option would be the Core i3 3225 - if you go i3 instead of i5 or i7, go for this one, because the other Ivy Bridge i3 processors has the HD 2500, which is supported, but not as straightforwardly.

All the best!

• Like 1