Can't run basic apps in ML 10.8.4 guest on a win8 host vmware.

13 posts in this topic

hello guys , 

having some trouble running applications such as iWeb, iPhoto, Pages.

the app starts, but when i choose a layout i get a blank page. (like it's there but i can't see it)

this is happening after installing vmware tools and unlocking vmware (read by one of the guides in this site).

my mac info is this:

post-1190032-0-95507900-1373148882_thumb.png

example for what's happening:

post-1190032-0-40514200-1373148851_thumb.png

after choosing the layout i get this :

post-1190032-0-01771000-1373148865_thumb.png

and another example from pages:

post-1190032-0-65744400-1373148868_thumb.png

after choosing: 

post-1190032-0-96710000-1373148877_thumb.png

if someone can explain me why is this happening and how to fix this i'd be very very glad! so i can start using OSX finally.

did so.

you want to tell me that all those who run osx as guest on vmware have this problem? 

i couldn't find a solution for this, only the guide for the vmware tools installation which made everything work much better but still can't run those apps.

and which sub forum do you see under Multiboot and virtualization ? 

thanks.

Unfortunately there is no "official" solution for this as Apple don't permit virtualization of OS X under Windows. This means VMWare don't provide support for it...they don't have to.

From the VMWare forums:

"running legally virtualizable versions of Mac OS X or OS X in a Virtual Machine may only be done when done on Apple-branded hardware and when done while running under Mac OS X"

Yes, I'm guessing all those who run OS X in a guest on VMWare on Windows have this problem.

Multibooting and virtualization is a sub-forum. It's the right place to discuss issues when running OS X in a virtual machine. If there is a solution for your issue, you will find it there.

I can think of two things:

1. find a way to make OS X render everything in software mode

2. install a 3rd party video driver for running OS X in VMWare, made explicitly to deal with this issue.

Hi mate,

Try installing this under OSX.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?/topic/188962-VMware-SVGA-II-display-driver-for-OS-X,-v1.2.5

VMware SVGA II display driver for OS X, v1.2.5

This should hopefully make things better.

NSCX2005

actually i just did . :) but sadly it didn't help me.

you can see at the picture that now my displays info is :

post-1190032-0-72614200-1373184281_thumb.png

but i can't run the apps properly.

you can see at this video yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvTOH6v11hU

There are no accelerated QE/CI drivers for OS X on any VMware products including supported platforms such as VMware Fusion. This is something we all have to deal with when virtualizing OS X even on a Mac. 

There are no accelerated QE/CI drivers for OS X on any VMware products including supported platforms such as VMware Fusion. This is something we all have to deal with when virtualizing OS X even on a Mac. 

excuse me mate for repeating my question.

are you having the same problem as showed in the video? meaning, you can't use any of the ilife apps properly?

out of curiosity, what are you doing on your guest osx then?

we can't do anything lol, what's the point.

Correct this is a known limitation of OS X guests. I am using mine for software development and this is not a problem for me.

I do thank you for your helping.

To my understanding from you, there is no solution for the problem I present to you here.

It's at least an answer, not what I've expected.

I do thank you.