Compatibility of GA-Z87MX-D3H & Core i7 4770K

25 posts in this topic

Hi there, are the following component between the most compatible ones in order to build a reliable hackintosh? Is there any tester that have already tested this components? Are the following component fully working with Mavericks? Thanks

Intel Core i7 4770K

Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H

What should I use to install 10.9? Is there a guide and/or some software? Is there also a "Buyer's Guide" provided by this site, in order to do the right choices while we are buying our hardware?

works, but is not yet able to fully run the food processor

Thanks, you mean that the motheboard is fully compatible but the CPU does not fully work? Thus, that mean? What I should expect? I will use the integrated GPU, HD 4600! What I should use to install OS X 10.9? Maybe the myHack USB?

Hi there, are the following component between the most compatible ones in order to build a reliable hackintosh? Is there any tester that have already tested this components? Are the following component fully working with Mavericks? Thanks

Intel Core i7 4770K

Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H

What should I use to install 10.9? Is there a guide and/or some software? Is there also a "Buyer's Guide" provided by this site, in order to do the right choices while we are buying our hardware?

I am using those exact components. This is my first hackintosh so I can't really say where on the spectrum it is in terms of compatibility but I've gotten Mavericks up and running with a few quirks here and there. I haven't sorted everything out yet though.

I made an installer with myHack then replaced the /boot file with a RevoBoot one. Set npci=0x2000, -v, and GraphicsEnabler=no  in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist. After upgrading to DP2 I had to set npci=0x3000 but I'm using a gtx 780 so your mileage may very. I was able to install and boot with the integrated graphics but I don't recall if I didn't much different.

If you don't want to fool with RevoBoot you may have to install the latest Chameleon bootloader over your myHack setup.

• Like 1

I am using those exact components. This is my first hackintosh so I can't really say where on the spectrum it is in terms of compatibility but I've gotten Mavericks up and running with a few quirks here and there. I haven't sorted everything out yet though.

I made an installer with myHack then replaced the /boot file with a RevoBoot one. Set npci=0x2000, -v, and GraphicsEnabler=no  in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist. After upgrading to DP2 I had to set npci=0x3000 but I'm using a gtx 780 so your mileage may very. I was able to install and boot with the integrated graphics but I don't recall if I didn't much different.

If you don't want to fool with RevoBoot you may have to install the latest Chameleon bootloader over your myHack setup.

So, to install 10.9 I should:

1. Made an installer with myHack by following the guide on the site.

2. replaced the /boot file with a RevoBoot one or install Chimera 2.1.1 over the myHack installer.

3. Set npci=0x2000, -v, and GraphicsEnabler=no  in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist.

4. Boot and install.

5. After upgrading to DP2 set npci=0x3000.

In order to use the HD 4600, what I should do?

this is basically the same as Z87-D3HP , to enable HD4600 you'll have to do this 

( credits to pike , the one responsible of making this solution)

I've had some luck with my onboard graphics. I changed the BIOS default onboard memory from 64MB to 512MB. Then I injected AAPL,ig-platform-id set to 0x0c260000 per Pike's blog and put that in my bootloader plist. I rebooted and I was greeted with my desktop at full resolution. My menu bar is translucent and it recognizes the model of my monitor. I haven't had any luck with using multiple displays with the onboard graphics. I have a VGA port, DVI port and HDMI. I use HDMI for my primary display.

I tried hooking up another display via DVI, but the screen said "Out of Range" and when I booted with DVI and plugged in HDMI, the HDMI screen said "out of range." Both screens are recognized in the display panel and are running at their native resolutions, but I can't get them to both work at the same time. 

My next attempt was to hook up HDMI and VGA or DVI and VGA. In both scenarios the screen with HDMI and DVI would show a display, but the screen with VGA would show the white loading screen. The VGA screen was not recognized at all in the display preference panel. I tried to boot with "GraphicsEnabler=no" and I got a picture on the VGA screen, but it was just blocks and pieces of the main display, and again, was not recognized in the display panel. 

I ran a Cinebench test to compare to Pike's results. Screenshot is attached.

• Like 1

Is there a guide on how to do that? This, is my first Hackintosh... 

I can see why it is scary. Injecting strings can be difficult for newbs to do.

Do you have another graphics card? nVidia cards are the easiest for people on OS X.

• Like 1

Haswell works perfect with OS X.

Unfortunately we do not have solutions for onboard ethernet nor a proper AppleHDA patch, but using VoodooHDA is perfect for everyone.

is VoodooHDA the audio driver, right? So with VoodooHDA the audio works fine, for ethernet we don't have any solution and the only possibility is to use TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900, that works perfectly also with Mavericks and Haswell, right? And for the HD 4600 I should change, after the installation of 10.9 the BIOS default onboard memory from 64MB to 512MB, then inject AAPL,ig-platform-id set to 0x0c260000 and put that in my bootloader plist, right? Can you explain me how to do that?

is VoodooHDA the audio driver, right? So with VoodooHDA the audio works fine, for ethernet we don't have any solution and the only possibility is to use TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900, that works perfectly also with Mavericks and Haswell, right? And for the HD 4600 I should change, after the installation of 10.9 the BIOS default onboard memory from 64MB to 512MB, then inject AAPL,ig-platform-id set to 0x0c260000 and put that in my bootloader plist, right? Can you explain me how to do that?

I cannot explain how to inject it, sorry. I have no experience with injections and intel graphics. 

Yes, VoodooHDA is an audio driver and the Wifi device works excellent.

• Like 1

I can see why it is scary. Injecting strings can be difficult for newbs to do.

Do you have another graphics card? nVidia cards are the easiest for people on OS X.

I have an old nVidia 8600GT maybe I will do an SLI with two of this.

PS. Sorry for my other asnwer but I have see this one only now ; )

I cannot explain how to inject it, sorry. I have no experience with injections and intel graphics. 

Yes, VoodooHDA is an audio driver and the Wifi device works excellent.

Thanks. So, can you explain me what have you do to install 10.9? Did you follow the steps underneath?

1. Made an installer with myHack by following the guide on the site.

2. replaced the /boot file with a RevoBoot one or install Chimera 2.1.1 over the myHack installer.

3. Set npci=0x2000, -v, and GraphicsEnabler=no  in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist.

4. Boot and install.

5. After upgrading to DP2 set npci=0x3000.

• 1 month later...

Seems to be some misinformation in this thread.

I have the gigabyte z87mx-d3h as well, and I've gotten it running 10.9 DP1 thru DP4.

I did not have to use anyone's installer, a vanilla install with chameleon worked fine.

Most everything is working at this point, including ethernet and audio.

Some details:

• AppleHDA works by following these steps:This works for me with one big caveat - I have to suspend and then wakeup the system before the audio works. Anyone care to take a stab at fixing this? taruga?! :)

A typo, I am toleda; taruga is the AppleHDA pioneer.  For 10.8.4 Realtek ALC892 AppleHDA.kext, see Mountain Lion Realtek ALC AppleHDA Audio - OSx86 10.8 (Mountain Lion) - InsanelyMac Forum.  The 10.8.4 version supports 10.8.5_v12f23 and newer and all 10.9 DPs.  You can use the included AppleHDA binary patch or your patch-hda.pl.  For the more adventurous, the audio_AL892 patch kit can be applied to native beta and DP installed AppleHDA.kexts; apply the appropriate 10.8.5 or 10.9 AppleHDA binary patch.

I have not experienced the audio only works after wake problem.  Try the Realtek ALC892 AppleHDA and reply if the problem remains.

A typo, I am toleda; taruga is the AppleHDA pioneer.

Sorry, and thank you it was a Freudian slip, I did mean you not taruga.

I've only experienced this audio-only-works-after-wake behavior with my new 10.9 system, I have an older z77 with 10.8 and alc892 that doesn't have this problem, using the exact same Platform xml & layout. I'll take a look at your newer Realtek ALC distribution.

Sorry, and thank you it was a Freudian slip, I did mean you not taruga.

I've only experienced this audio-only-works-after-wake behavior with my new 10.9 system, I have an older z77 with 10.8 and alc892 that doesn't have this problem, using the exact same Platform xml & layout. I'll take a look at your newer Realtek ALC distribution.

Same as the other thread:

Care to share your AppleHDA.kext?

Ok, so I took a look at your alc892 config on github.

It contains the exact same Platforms.xml.zlib and layout1.xml.zlib as what I got from your older tonymac distribution.

I now notice that I did forget to install the AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver Info.plist override (as I had properly done for my z77 install). I was sleepwalking through this AppleHDA patch a bit....

That said, with the AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver piece installed, I get no audio, even after wake from sleep. It seems like the ConfigData under AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver needs tweaking for gigabyte z87 (or perhaps it's a 10.9 vs 10.8 difference?)

With 10.8 z77 alc892, the audio ports show up as:

"Internal Speakers" Built-in

Line Out Audio line-out port

Digital Out Optical digital-out port

where the first one works via the light green port on the back.

With 10.9 z87 alc892, the audio ports are showing up as:

where the first one works after wake from sleep.

Additionally, if I reboot into linux after running 10.9 (and performing a wake from sleep), then the audio doesn't work and it shows up as a headphone port (actually there is a periodic clicking sound as the port oscilates between headphone and line-out state). If I cold boot linux audio works fine as a line out.

I posted some feedback on your github page in your master thread.

Care to share your AppleHDA.kext?

I've updated my post, the AppleHDA patching is 2 EZ steps (if you leave out the AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver part like I currently have).

I could do you 1 better and make a script that does those 2 steps for you, if it's OK with toleda to repack his xml.

@bcc9:

Try a different binary patch. Several people with ALC892, including myself, had the oscillation issue when using the ALC895 device id. As with other codecs, just use AD1984 or AD1988.

(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284004-script-to-patch-applehda-binary-for-osx107108/?p=1888843)

Thanks I had already tried ADI 1984B (0x11d4198b), and I get no sound before&after sleep. Just tried ADI 1984 (0x11d41984), and same thing. Only my original try with ALC 885 as the patch codec is giving me some success. Haven't had time to look any deeper myself yet.

With 10.9 z87 alc892, the audio ports are showing up as:

I posted some feedback on your github page in your master thread.

I've updated my post, the AppleHDA patching is 2 EZ steps (if you leave out the AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver part like I currently have).

I could do you 1 better and make a script that does those 2 steps for you, if it's OK with toleda to repack his xml.

The 10.9 audio ports showing suggests the correct pinconfigs (Info.plist) are not installed in the AppleHDA.kext that loaded.  Likely, the reason for no sound.

I have not found your comments on Github.

Absolutely interested in that 1 better script.

• Like 1

I also have this board in my collection and I don't have any problem whatsoever so what exactly do you mean with "no sound before/after sleep"? Is AppleHDA.kext not loading, are interrupt numbers missing or what else can you tell me?

For all 3 patch codecs I tried with my patch-hda script, the result appears the same as in post #19 under system preferences, and the audio volume controls are available. Of course AppleHDA is loaded. But sound is only present after wake from sleep and only when I use patch codec ALC 885.

If you have a working config, you could share your details like I did. Just claiming you have it working for yourself isn't really of any help. Thanks.

• Like 1