AMD 7970M Image/Video corruption bug or not?

kako007

17 posts in this topic

My 7970M is working well with full QE/CI. I only seem to have one general problem. Playing a video (HTML5 video) in Safari and viewing some images shows corruption in the video playback or viewing of the image. The same also happens when playing an mp4 in quicktime. But if I use firefox or chrome instead of Safari and play the same mp4 with VLC there is no corruption. I attached an example of the type of corruption in video playback using quicktime. The same kind of corruption is visible for images and videos in Safari and you can sometimes see random fuzzy text within the corrupted area. What do you think? A bug or issue with my installaton? 

post-1167474-0-18702000-1371523130_thumb.png

Hi, I have a theory about this. Can you please give me more details about your hardware? An ioregistryexplorer save would be great.

My theory is that this happens because the smbios profile you're using. Just test with Mac Pro. If I'm right I can tell you how to fix it without losing cpu or gpu power management.

Good luck

I have a ML setup on the same machine using iMac13,2 plist which is working fine. In fact I did try the MacPro5,1 SMBios with the Mavericks installation but it made no difference. Some one else actually made another thread about this with same EXACT issue as me:  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/289926-image-corruption-safari-and-quicktime/

My hardware is :

Intel 3630QM

Motherbaord: (laptop motherboard with bios patched to prevent kernel panic on unpatched AppleIntelCPU....)

Radeon 7970M (Intel HD graphics is disabeld permenantly through bios)

IOReg output is attached.

I think it is very likely this is a bug as it doesn't happen for me in ML.

IOregOutput.ioreg.zip

Safari and Quicktime matches  some config files in plugins in order to enable some AGPM states, that´s why this happens only with this apps, I had some issues with my NVDIA card for the same reason, to fix this I use my own fake profile MacBookPro 8,4 to do this I just declare this in profile in smbios and edit IOPlataform Plugin kexts to match it.

You can try to create your own profile based on MacBookPro 10,1 in order to preserve your Pstates.

Good Luck

P.D. 

I see you´re using 802.11ac hardware 4352 I suppose, this comes with your laptop or where did you get it?, All works ok? Is your card half size mini pci-e or full size??

Thanks!!

Currently with the iMac13,2 profile the IOPlatform plugin kext is matching. I cannot get any MacBookPro SMBIOS to work. My system boots but it get's SUPER slow, takes about 15 mins just to get into graphical mode and then eventually it reboots. But iMac13,2 SMBIOS is working fine and in ML it has zero issues.

With MacPro5,1 SMBIOS im assuming AGPM is disabled but it still has the coruption issue.

The network card I have is this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110935631720&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

So I edited IOPlatformPuginFamily and disabled AGPM for the iMac13,2 SMBIOS I am using. As you can see in the attached IOReg that AGPM is disabled but i still have the corruption with images and videos in Safari and QT. 

Yes I see AGPM is disabled, but remember safari app will try to boost your Pstates with or without AGPM loaded because it is programed to do it to match your Smbios profile, to be sure just try what I did, create your own faked profile.

You can create iMac13,3 profile you can copy Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4 inside the Resources folder inside X86PlataformPlugin inside IOPlataformpluginFamily kext, copy and rename it to Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A5 now edit your Smbios to match SMboardproduct to Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A5 and SMproductname to iMac13,3. If you had some AGPM edits to match this just do it, I hope you got the idea, and try again, this will help us to discover if this is a Driver or a bug issue.

Good luck

Yes I see AGPM is disabled, but remember safari app will try to boost your Pstates with or without AGPM loaded because it is programed to do it to match your Smbios profile, to be sure just try what I did, create your own faked profile.

You can create iMac13,3 profile you can copy Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4 inside the Resources folder inside X86PlataformPlugin inside IOPlataformpluginFamily kext, copy and rename it to Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A5 now edit your Smbios to match SMboardproduct to Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A5 and SMproductname to iMac13,3. If you had some AGPM edits to match this just do it, I hope you got the idea, and try again, this will help us to discover if this is a Driver or a bug issue.

Good luck

I see. I'm gonna try this when I get home. if I understood correctly Safari has a direct reference to Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4 and some other built-in board IDs. By creating my own ID, it will no longer match the list of IDs Safari is referencing?

Yes my theory is that the Finder, safari, quicktime, FaceTime,  and other app has references to Systems profiles in order to boots gpu Pstates, I had in some way prove it because If I use the MacbookPro 8,3 profile with the newest Nvidia Web Drivers and try to watch youtube on Safari it just Crash, and if I try on Firefox, Chrome all works ok. If I try to watch a video on Quicktime Freezee, and in VLC all works ok.

If I use the new MacBookPro 8,4 (fake) profile all works ok, and now all apps including apple ones respect what is inside AGPM kext

Good luck

P.D. This could be a working solution for the Fermi Freezee I and others are suffering since ML, with this I had 3 days without any Channel Exception TimeOut. I´ll keep using it and only time can confirm this.

The custom SMBIOS doesn't seem to work for me. I did copy and rename the Mac13,2 resource plist to for example Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A5. Then in my SMBIOS I used the new board ID and iMac13,3. When I boot it immediately says:

This version of mac is not supported on this platform:

Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A5

I also tried with new board ID and iMac13,2 but same issue.

I have a feeling somewhere we need to add the new board ID before it allows us to use it?

mmm what boot loader are you using?

I don´t know if is any limitation for ivy bridge cpus to boot with another smbios, I can use almost any smbios definitions with my sandy bridge cpu.

what happened with your mac pro smbios??

Good luck

mmm what boot loader are you using?

I don´t know if is any limitation for ivy bridge cpus to boot with another smbios, I can use almost any smbios definitions with my sandy bridge cpu.

what happened with your mac pro smbios??

Good luck

I'm using Clover. MacPro SMBIOS works fine. It's probably irrelevant but with MacPro SMBIOS my cpu is stuck in turbo mode all the time. But as I mentioned above the corruption problem is still there.

• 3 weeks later...

Using "Buri" framebuffer. HDMI works OOB. Internal LCD doesn't work OOB and requires patching the frame buffer. In order to fix that modify the first connector of Buri,

02 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 29 05 01 00 10 00 05 05

to:

02 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 09 01 00 00 00 03 00 05

This is the result of reading http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/kext-editing/editing-atiamd-framebuffer-personality/ and the referenced articles. I also got direct help from the author of rampagedev. The offset of the frame buffers in the Mavericks ATI7000Controller.kext is different from what's posted in rampagedev and other sites. So you have to search for the connector HEX data directly rather than looking up the framebuffer offset.

Hope this helps.

• 9 months later...

Using "Buri" framebuffer. HDMI works OOB. Internal LCD doesn't work OOB and requires patching the frame buffer. In order to fix that modify the first connector of Buri,

02 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 29 05 01 00 10 00 05 05

to:

02 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 09 01 00 00 00 03 00 05

This is the result of reading http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/kext-editing/editing-atiamd-framebuffer-personality/ and the referenced articles. I also got direct help from the author of rampagedev. The offset of the frame buffers in the Mavericks ATI7000Controller.kext is different from what's posted in rampagedev and other sites. So you have to search for the connector HEX data directly rather than looking up the framebuffer offset.

Hope this helps.

Can you please send me your patched ATI7000Controller.kext ? I have the same graphics card and I can only get it working with GraphicsEnabler=No and only through HDMI. The internal screen stays black. I have 10.9.2  mavericks.