GigaByte GA-945G-S3 motherboard thread

46 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

this is trying to be an official thread for this motherboard:

GigaByte 945G-S3 ( also known as GA-945G-S3 )

this is a link to the manufacturer's website:

GigaByte 945G-S3

What I see as the main possitives of this board, and the reasons why I got myself one:

1. SUPPORTS INTEL CORE 2 DUO

2. IS A GOOD OVERCLOCKER - (I got to 3.0GHz Prime95-windows stable)

3. HAS AN INTEGRATED FULLY SUPPORTED GRAPHICS GMA950 (in BIOS you can even set it to TURBO!:) - one can "experiment" with PCI-E graphics cards without the dreadfull time of having no graphics at all.

4. SLEEP and ENERGY SAVING stuff WORKS!

5. Costumizable BIOS "face" (via Windows only) - so one can create apple-like booting sequence look (light grey background plus dark grey Apple logo.) - not a reason to buy, but a cool thing:)

other good stuff: fully working SATAII, integrated audio works well after a small patch (no input though - quite a "standard" situation I think).

There are however a few drawbacks:

1. integrated LAN doesn't work as of yet (maybe in future - should not be that difficult I hope)

2. no Firewire port on-board (so, if you really really need one, either buy a different board or there is a plenty of PCI cards with FW400/800 or combos with USB ports)

I really thing that the possitives overweight the little unnumerous negatives and this makes this board SUPERB.

Please, if you already have one or are planning to get one (buying a new OSX86 rig) let others know here. Thank you

Thrawneekaar

Hi iam a proud owner of the brother f this mainboard, its outstanding how you can get 3.ghz from it!, i got to get 2.8ghz but i had to slow it down it was causing some misbehaviour with my Radeon...

Tell me more about your setup... PCIe is around 120? you dont have any problems at all? how is doing the chipset (termally speaking), have you tried yet temperature monitor under osx?

Dont buy the M-Audio Audiophile PCI 2496 soundcard there will never be official osx intel drivers for it, theres no pci in apple intel platform.

Cheeers!

Hi iam a proud owner of the brother f this mainboard, its outstanding how you can get 3.ghz from it!, i got to get 2.8ghz but i had to slow it down it was causing some misbehaviour with my Radeon...

Tell me more about your setup... PCIe is around 120? you dont have any problems at all? how is doing the chipset (termally speaking), have you tried yet temperature monitor under osx?

Dont buy the M-Audio Audiophile PCI 2496 soundcard there will never be official osx intel drivers for it, theres no pci in apple intel platform.

Cheeers!

Hi,

maybe it is your Radeon that causes the trouble. Still 2.8 is nearly the same as mine, so congratulations. I was thinking about a graphics card right now, but not sure about it as I realize it could lead to losing this fine overclock of mine. I am currently experimenting more with cooling so when I am done I will post my exact bios settings and Xbench score.

T.

hi,

I'm desperately searching for this board in germany. even google does not find anything but the gigabyte website. is this a brand-new board of gigabyte? maybe it just has not been released here??

also, why do you want to get another gfx card? not satisfied with the gma950?

thanks!

hi,

I'm desperately searching for this board in germany. even google does not find anything but the gigabyte website. is this a brand-new board of gigabyte? maybe it just has not been released here??

also, why do you want to get another gfx card? not satisfied with the gma950?

thanks!

Hi,

it is widely available here in Czechia, so Germany should be no problemo. I bought it here, but it is a Czech shop so hard for you to read I suppose. The price is about 2800 czech crowns, that is about 90euros. Including VAT.

Czech Computer in Prague

Otherwise, cant help:(

About my graphics card. It is absolutely wonderful for OSX86. FULL support. However, i like to play games in Windows (reboot to my second drive) and a bit of gaming on Mac is also possible, though limited. So I am in want of a x1600 ATi card, passive cooling is a must. I really enjoy silence.

T.

Hi,

it is widely available here in Czechia, so Germany should be no problemo. I bought it here, but it is a Czech shop so hard for you to read I suppose. The price is about 2800 czech crowns, that is about 90euros. Including VAT.

Czech Computer in Prague

Otherwise, cant help:(

yeah I've found some czech and polish retailers - but absolutely nothing in germany! tsss...

I guess I'm gonna send an inquiry to gigabyte.

thanks for your help, though.

Bist DU blind? :compress: Es ist nicht das G model aber P model. 945G vs 945P (ohne integriert graphics - nich gut fur OSX86).

Middle Europe rulez! :thumbsdown_anim:

T.

PS: Please, write in English people so others can read it too, thanx a lot.

Cheeers!

As for the sound card, you are absolutely right, I checked the drivers and there is no PCI card from M-Audio supported for Intel Macs:(

On the other hand, external sound cards are much better for audiophile setup, so I think the Firewire Audiophile (I saw some for about 120 USD on the ebay!!!) is the luckily available and technically superior choice. I will get me one ASAP and will start a topic on that sound card then (if anyone else didnt already).

T.

5. Costumizable BIOS "face" (via Windows only) - so one can create apple-like booting sequence look (light grey background plus dark grey Apple logo.) - not a reason to buy, but a cool thing:)

Did you tried this? Where is located in the system the boot image and chime so one can extract it and use instead of the common BIOS image (this feature is called FaceWizard by Gigabyte)?

Sorry guys, I mistook indeed a "P" for a "G"!! Seems the 945G is as yet not marketed in Germany.

Anyway, looking forward to see your Xbench results and your BIOS settings. I try to make up my mind whether to get the GA-945G-S3 (once it is available over here) or the ASRock ConRoe945G-DVI... My old favorite the Asus P5LD2-VM is out for the time being, way to expensive compared to the ASRock.

Bist DU blind? :poster_oops: Es ist nicht das G model aber P model. 945G vs 945P (ohne integriert graphics - nich gut fur OSX86)

hey thrawneekaar,

could you post your xbench results? I'm slightly curious about your performance :angel:

luckily I have found a czech retailer who accepts international orders, so looking forward to hold the board in my hands soon!

here are the specs of the rig I'm planning to build:

mainboard: gigabyte ga-945g-s3 (obviously) ~ 100 EUR

cpu: core 2 duo E6300, 1.8ghz ~ 155 EUR

cpu fan: zalman cnps 9500 ~ 40 EUR

memory: 1024mb (2x512mb) pc667 corsair xms2 ~ 145 EUR

hdd: 250gb maxtor maxline III, 16mb cache, sata-II ~ 75 EUR

dvd-rw: pioneer dvr-111d ~ 40 EUR

case + 420w psu ~ 60 EUR

= 615 EUR

any doubts/hints?

I'm planning to use this rig for pro audio productions. I've been on macs for almost 10 years now, but I just can't afford a shiny 2500+ EUR mac pro and my g4 quicksilver running os9 with logic 5.5 is more than outdated now. the only sad thing is that I probably have to sell my RME hammerfall hdsp audio card (pci-based) which I paid a 1000 EUR for. now it's only 350 worth. damn it. I'm planning on getting an edirol fw-101 firewire interface. not as good as the RME, but looks like a bargain in its price range.

any hints on a good pci to firewire expansion-card?

bad news for everyone in germany searching for this board:

Thank you for emailing GIGABYTE.

At the moment, there are no plans to introduce the GA-945G-S3 mainboard to the German market. Only the modells GA-945P-S3, GA-945PL-S3 and GA-945GM-S2 are available in Germany with 945 chipset from Intel.

Kind regards,

GIGABYTE-Team

why can everybody have it despite the germans? will germans be affected by allergic reactions, cancer, immediate death or what?

yeah I was looking into that one as well, but for any reasons I'm a bit afraid of asrock quality-wise(?). also, it's mATX and therefore limited on expansion slots. see I'm going to integrate that hackintosh into a pro studio setup and I really want some flexibility and most important: stability. the asrock board looks neat, though. also its price and availability in germany makes me wanna click the 'order' button :censored2:

aberracus: you have both boards, right? how would you compare them? is there a noticable difference in performance? how went the installation process on both boards? would be really nice to hear some opinions.

Hi everyone,

a brief report about the realtek integrated NIC (LAN card).

After using this simple installer, the gigabit-ethernet card works:) = LAN WORKS! Thanks to Aberracus for info and Neophus for the installer

driver for the 945G-S3 board's integrated LAN

T.

PS: My Xbench results are currently around 145-150s, as far as I can tell, best cooling is Scythe Ninja with a Nexus fan (I am currently testing these, if nothing goes wrong in a week or two, I will keep them). Very silent and extremely effective.

Hi guys i want to know in what online store in USA i can find this motherboard? i already searched this in the most famous stores: newegg, amazon, zipzoomfly, but i had no luck. i only can find this mobo GA-945GM-S2, i searched in the gigabyte site, and they have the same chipset (northbridge, southbridge, audio and lan), the difference is the form factor (microATX) and the expansion slots. so this mobo the alternative will have the same performance and benefits of the GA-945G-S3 ?

thanks

les enfants.

Hi guys,

so I was experimenting with cooling and OC and guess what happened?

I totally burned the mobo:) I think I was just going over the top, pressing too hard towards 3.0GHz, which was OK until this high overclock was under BURN.

I am RMAing the board soon, hope there will be no problem with the retailer.

To anyone trying the overclock, I think the safe OC is till about 2.6, beyond that it is risky.

T.