Updating to 10.4.2

Kevin Sherman

7 posts in this topic

At 10.4.2 update you all list a ton of .gz files... after extracting everyting, how exactly do I update? and do I want to?? I am new to OSX and the like, so I will need much explanation...

Well, that's the Darwin update, isn't it?

I think I'd not play with that unless you want to make your system go fubar.

Its the source and you have to build and install it all yourself.

Well, that's the Darwin update, isn't it?

I think I'd not play with that unless you want to make your system go fubar.

Its the source and you have to build and install it all yourself.

What good is having the Darwin updates from Tiger 10.4.2?

What's there to gain? Knowledge? Drivers?

I'd say that there is probably SOME benefit found there...

But honestly, I doubt that there will be much since that's code optimized for PPC anyway, not x86, and as far as I'm aware and that won't provide much in the way of drivers either.

The problem with drivers is that the individual companies that make the hardware also make the drivers for Apple. Unless I'm missing something that says Apple engineers every driver used on their systems, which seems like a huge waste of time.

Basically, we're driverless until either a) we find a way to rebuild the drivers already present ourselves and make them function with OS X or :) ATI/nVidia/whoever make drivers for x86 PCs. I don't think b will be happening (or at least not available) until after Mactel goes live next year and by then, the current hacks that we have will be completely disabled from downloading drivers anyway I'm sure.

I'd say that there is probably SOME benefit found there...

But honestly, I doubt that there will be much since that's code optimized for PPC anyway, not x86, and as far as I'm aware and that won't provide much in the way of drivers either.

The problem with drivers is that the individual companies that make the hardware also make the drivers for Apple. Unless I'm missing something that says Apple engineers every driver used on their systems, which seems like a huge waste of time.

Basically, we're driverless until either a) we find a way to rebuild the drivers already present ourselves and make them function with OS X or :) ATI/nVidia/whoever make drivers for x86 PCs. I don't think b will be happening (or at least not available) until after Mactel goes live next year and by then, the current hacks that we have will be completely disabled from downloading drivers anyway I'm sure.

Well true, but I'd like to think that when Mactel goes live, we will have a whole new asortment of hacks that will allow us to continue...