All About Apple and a bit of Mac vs. PC

Nickhamm

4 posts in this topic

I have personal blog, a general tech blog, and now this blog which I will dedicate to my opinions and thought about Apple computers and the Mac operating system. I have been an Apple fan for many years, but only recently have acquired a real Macintosh (it was a G3 iMac DV400 for those wondering). I have ran the hacked Mac OS 10.4.5 on a Dell Inspiron 6000 before, but the iMac, despire being much older and slower, is just more of a Mac to me, so I wiped out the Dell Laptop and put a custom copy of Windows XP on it (using nLite). I go to college for Interactive Multimedia and Design and so I feel that a Mac is perfect for what I do.

I have a stance on the entire PC vs. Mac war. I believe that Macs and PCs can do the same thing, they just do it different. A Mac and Pc both have windows, folders, files, programs, and games. Both of them can edit movies, play music, play movies, surf the web, create web pages, create music, and instant message. The way they do these things is different, such as GarageBand vs. FruityLoops or QuickTime vs. Windows Media Player. I like the Macintosh interface when working with media and design, as it is more visual which helps me find pictures, movies, and web pages faster. I prefer a Windows environment for Office applications such as writing documents, maintaining databases, and working on spreadsheets. I use both Mac OS and Windows XP on a daily basis and I don't hate either one of them. As a side note, I am not trying to leave Linux out of this battle, but I do not have much experience with Linux. What I do know about it is that it also does the things that a Mac and windows Pc do as listed above. But with Windows and Mac differences, Linux is tailored for its own certain tasks. Linux is a good OS to run a web server on. It is also a good OS for users who want complete customizability of the OS and all its programs at a programming level. So I do not hate any operating system, I use them all at some time or another for something they are each tailored for.

I am looking forward to sharing my thoughts on Apple products in this blog in the upcoming days and weeks.

Linux has the ability to be a Desktop OS, but it still has a way to go before it will even be considered for major mainstream use. Ubuntu comes with an easy to use Add/Remove programs panel, but even that fails sometimes and you have to rely on apt-get and other methods of retriving programs that sometimes require editing repositories and using the terminal to download programs and their dependancies. Most PC users are lost past the start menu, and if they were told that they would have to do all of the above to install a program or a game, they would say 'absolutely not.'

I agree that Linux is decent for a desktop... especially for old folks like my grandma. I set her up with Kubuntu a year or two ago and she's still going strong! And no WGA issues/spyware/adware/you name it!Welcome to the blogs, Nickhamm. I've really enjoyed yours so far!