Stuck at installation reboot

TheQuantumByte

12 posts in this topic

My friend's x86 machine is stuck at the installation reboot: when the installation is complete...he clicks "restart" but it hangs there. Any ideas?

Help a poor guy out.. ;)

Btw.. that friend would be me... it just took me a little while to log into the forum...

Problem:

During the last stage of the instalation process "finishing up" after i press the restart button, it hangs. if i reset the computer i have to re install the OSX. this is the second time it has happend. Any comments?

It's still not an OSX is it? Typical PC.

The "On" button on your computer starts looking friendly. Push it, hold it.

Hopefully, there's a huge "BONG" sound when it reboots, if your lucky enough to get sound. lol.

Easier to invest in a Mac. XD.

Akhil Modi-

Be prepared for frustations when you under take the OSXx86 project. The best support you are going to get is here in these forums.

I have learned a lot but it has taken weeks to get my system working for any real use, mainly by pouring over these posts.

My expereince was very frustrating to say the least and I finally got to the Set Up Assistant on harddisk in OSX totally by accident.

I kept modifying start up sequence in BIOS ie: floppy-HD-CD and different combinations thereof. No boot.

Then I lucked out. I did nothing after I installed OSXx86.

I have to have the install DVD of 10.4.6 in the DVD drive, I cannot boot to OSX on HD without it. There may be a way to fix that but I haven't been able to figure it out and in the end it doesn't matter, I can get to the desktop, my system runs.

When I start up after installing OSXx86, (floppy-CD-HD) BIOS asks for keyboard input to install MAC OSX 86 within 8 seconds. If I do nothing ie: make no input on the keyboard, BIOS swithches to HD and finds OSXx86 on the HD. If I give any input from the keyboard it stays with the DVD and goes to install again.

I have no start up tone or gray apple start up logo. Just code on black. Unix text then the desktop.

As far as I can tell from pouring over these posts, any one trying this on anything but the recomended Intel hardware has got their work cut out for them with OSXx86. Even if they are a wizard with operating systems.

Good Luck

;)

I've been playing with happy macs since 1987. What can I say, it's fun.

I have to have the install DVD of 10.4.6 in the DVD drive, I cannot boot to OSX on HD without it. There may be a way to fix that but I haven't been able to figure it out and in the end it doesn't matter, I can get to the desktop, my system runs.

You need to set your OSX partition "active". You can use any Windows or Linux disk/partition utility or you can use Fdisk built in to OSX: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22844

I have no start up tone or gray apple start up logo. Just code on black. Unix text then the desktop.

There is no startup tone on a Hackintosh.

The text is because you have verbose mode set. Edit the boot.plist file at "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" and change the Kernel Flags parameter to look like the following:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

Thanks for your posts..

So.. now what can i do to fix this problem??

After the installation, the last step is to restart your computer. It always freezes on that step, i've installed it about 5 times now. Same problem... ok and (After the making the partition active and everything) I have to force shut down. Then when i start it up, it freezes on the grey screen with the spinning progress circle.

Please help.. i've tried everything i can do.. im totally out of ideas

A list of your components will give an idea of what you are working with ie: chipsets, etc.

And which version of OSx86 you are trying to install on to your system.

I have the following:

2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4

1 GB RAM

Onboard Intel Graphics Controler

80 GB HardDisk Space

is it the software problem or is the hardware???