Quadro Boot (Win7, Snow Leopard, WinXP, Ubuntu)

16 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I would first like to say that the community has been a life-saver as I have been working on this project however I am also in need of assistance and will appreciate any help. I believe my first problem is Im am suffering from information overload.

Heres my situation

I am currently trying to Quad boot my Dell 630m Laptop with the following OSes in this Order Windows 7 Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.5.8 using ideneb 10.5.6 updated to 10.5.8 and Ubuntu 12.10 on a single 160GB hard drive divide into 4 partitions.

I have been successful in installing all the OSes in their respective partitions, from the terminal results of diskutil list the indentifer is:

Win7: disk0s1

Snow Leopard: disk0s2

WinXP: disk0s3

Linux_Swap: disk0s5

Linux: disk0s6

The problems I dealing with currently consist no sound, Chameleon troubles and Windows XP not booting.

The Sound is an issue I will investigate later in another thread

Chameleon

Part 1

This has been an interesting problem for me first trying to install the Chameleon 2.2 package from here http://www.insanelym...aller-binaries/ however each time following the directions I receive this error Install Failed The installer could not install some files in "/". After reading countless threads on trying to make this work I gave up and started following the directions here http://www.insanelym...ly-v-2-and-v-1/ and was able to successfully install Chameleon.

Part 2

After I was able to install Chameleon it broke all of the booting for the OSes I was no longer able to boot anything but heres where I am a bit lost if I used the Chameleon boot cd I am able to boot to Ubuntu and Snow Leopard without the use of any flags but not the Win7 or XP partitions. I know for those two the problem is because the MBR has been overridden by Chameleon so I have to repair this in order for them to work, I have at this point been able to fix the Windows 7 partition however it says that its Recovered. When I use the Boot CD and click on Ubuntu it bring up the GRUB bootloader it alows me to get in Ubuntu so it at least works. Im still working on the XP partition. This now means that Chameleon is gone and I have to use the Boot CD in order to access any of the other OSes and will either have to figure out the SVN or go thru the steps again to manually install Chameleon however if I do I'll be backin the same istuation as before right?

Part 3

As the creation of this thread Im currently using the Chameleon boot CD in order to boot into the OSes which isnt pretty as a normal Chameleon bootloader but honestly I dont know what else to do at this point I cant figure this piece out.

If anyone can help me get over this hump I would appreciate it if you need any additional information please ask Im willing to try anything at this point to make this work.

Thanks for looking and any help

Thanks HUSABER I was able to install the package to the MACOSX partition but admit Im at a lost on what to do now.. I just tired to install Chameleon Wizard to setup Chameleon but it gives me an error saying You cannot use this verison of the application Chameleon Wizard" even tho it says its compatible with Snow Leopard. *sigh* sorry guess Ive been so overwhelmed with this process got no brain power left. If you could point me in the right direction on where I go from here I appreciate it.

P.S. Its fuuny I saw your setup once before in my research which made me believe it could be done :)

Thanks again

Thanks HUSABER I was able to install the package to the MACOSX partition but admit Im at a lost on what to do now.. I just tired to install Chameleon Wizard to setup Chameleon but it gives me an error saying You cannot use this verison of the application Chameleon Wizard" even tho it says its compatible with Snow Leopard. *sigh* sorry guess Ive been so overwhelmed with this process got no brain power left. If you could point me in the right direction on where I go from here I appreciate it.

P.S. Its fuuny I saw your setup once before in my research which made me believe it could be done :)

Thanks again

Error is your,you use Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.8-this is a Leopard,not Snow Leopard

You can always use an USB boot drive. Or just install Chameleon to a spare USB flash drive. This may help to avoid mess with on-disk bootloaders. As far as I remember, bootloader of Linux should be installed to a Linux partition instead of MBR.

HUSABER: WOW a total oversight on my part I have been working on this too long :(I will do some more research on how to configure Chameleon with something other than Chameleon Wizard thanks since although it says it works with Leopard I cant seem to get it work from the official thread Hmm maybe Champlist will work.. Thanks HUSABER.

3.14r2: I do have the bootloader for linux currently installed on the Linux partition, what happens now from the boot cd and I click on Linux grub pops up and then I select linux and it boots.

Thanks again for your help guys

*Update: So I see now that Leopard has been installed and I am able to see all of the OSes listed however when I click on the MACOSX partition it gets stuck at the Apple Screen logo with a crossed out circle which upon research means a loading error. I tried to use the Boot with Verbose, Single User and Ignore Cache options each with different results but each failed to boot the OS. However still using the boot CD results in booting OSX, I read it might be an issue associated with maybe the plist? but I'm lost im almost there but still need a little more help.

Sorry for being a noob at this just confused with Chameleon and how it works.

Once again thank you for all the help.

However still using the boot CD results in booting OSX, I read it might be an issue associated with maybe the plist?

There are few possible options why boot CD does work and on-disk boot loader doesn't:
  • The fist thing to consider is the set of kexts present on the boot CD. Check what additional kests are present on the boot CD, quite possible some of them should also be used to boot from disk
  • *.*.Boot.plist is also worth checking along with SMBIOS.plist (if present) and DSDT.aml (again if present)

It is essential to use -v (verbose boot) to find why and what has gone wrong. I'd suggest using it until you get your OS X working properly.

If I use the verbose option when it boots I get the "still waiting on root device" error. I know this happened before when I updated to 10.5.8 (found here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286380-how-to-dell-xps-m140-updating-to-1058/) used the option of -v -f in order to get it to boot up finally.

According to my research http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/278075-about-still-waiting-for-root-device/ it says that it might be a controller error which I dont understand since it works fine with the boot cd hmm.

Per your suggestion 3.14r2 I noticed that the difference in the module folder that was on the partition and that was on the boot cd on the partition the following was there: FileNvram.dylib and Keylayout.dylib on the boot cd it has those in addition to the following: APCICodec, klibc, Resolution, sata UClibcxx. Going to try to see if making these changes will affect the outcome will report back.

Thanks again for all the help guys :)

Why not install 10.6.3 retail?Your old bootloader not have acess to boot Windows or Linux

Honestly when I started researching this project I could only find info on the installation of 10.5.6 then the update to 10.5.8 for the Dell M140 since they are pretty much the same thing so I figured I would start there and hopefully once I can get this thing figured out move on to the next one possibly Lion not sure. I know I tried to use the Iatkos L2 disc but my PC would never read it so I went with this direction.

HUSABER are you referring to this guide here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/269841-install-snow-leopard-on-any-pc-for-anybody-includes-windows-dual-boot/ or this http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-install-mac-os-x-on.html Or if you have any advice or suggestiion for me to try HUSABER I will definitely consider it at this point.

Thanks for your patience guys

So in your opinion what would you recommend to get me started?

Why not post your laptop Specifications here? :wink2:

PC: Dell 630M laptop

Screen: 14.1 WXGA

Processor: Intel Pentinum-M740 (1.73GHz)

GPU: Intel GMA900 (82915GMX Grpahics Controller)

4GB RAM

Chipset: Intel 915GM

160GB HD

Sound: SigmaTel STAC9200

Network: Broadcom BCM4401

Wireless: Intel 2200

Wireless USB Adapter: Airlink 101 Wireless N 150

Why not post your laptop Specifications here? :wink2: