Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  

Shopping for a new Hackintosh - Advice on components please

4 posts in this topic

Hi there all. I am shopping for components for a new hackintosh and wanted to get some advice on the proposed parts. Below is my shopping list. Can someone please let me know if this looks good for a Hackintosh, any proposed changes?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Intel Z77 Socket 1155 Ivybridge Ready Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Black Mid Tower Case with Side Window w/o PSU

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 CP-9020043-UK 850W Power Supply (PSU)

Boot Drive: Corsair 128GB Neutron Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage Drive: 2TB Seagate ST2000VX002 SV35.5, SATA 6Gb/s, 5900rpm, 64MB Cache, 8.5ms NCQ

Memory: Corsair Memory Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz CAS 9 XMP DHX Dual Channel

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro CPU Cooler for Intel and AMD Processors CPU Cooler

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce 2X NVIDIA Graphics Card - 2GB

Monitor: Asus 27" MX279H IPS LED Frameless Monitor, Audio by Bang and Olufsen ICEpower

Keyboard: Apple Wireless Keyboard MC184B/B

Trackpad: Apple Magic Trackpad Bluetooth MC380Z/A

Mountain Lion

I checked out the wiki, and nobody has posted anything on the UD5... however, there are posts about the UD3, and as near as I can tell, the only hangup you might have is the audio. The UD3 uses a VIA chip and the UD5 uses a Realtek. I believe people have had success with Realtek audio. Of course, you will have FireWire on this as well, and I'm not sure as the UD3 is lacking FireWire. With regards to the 660, the post that I was specifically looking at on the wiki mentions the 660 and reinstalling the mac display driver.

Gigabyte boards in general seem to be easier than others with regard to getting OSX running on them. Good luck with your build and if you have any more questions about hardware, I'd check out the wiki, the Buying Thoughts and Recommendations forum, and the Hardware Components and Drivers forum. Good luck!

This is just my thoughts on hardware. i would first just look to see which is the most popular motherboard for a hackintosh

make sure the kexts are easy to get for the board you choose. like sound and eathernet

kext. usb3

also you will need a bluetooth card to work you keyboard

graphics card I'm using a wind force 670 gtx works oob

wi fi TP-Link 4800 works oob

Welcome to the forums. The following is the suggested build that work work 100% under Mac OS X. You were spending money on bad/poor hardware and or overpriced hardware. Also attached is a PDF with links to newegg for you to review. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg.pdf