Need abit of advice regarding ATi 7770

nankura

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys

I've been researching this project to have mac on any window's or custom built pc for a long time, and i cant say why but mac really interests me. i have used linux for a long time so i have a basic understand of CLI and kernels, but im still quite confused and i have a phew questions

The main reason im making this post is due to my graphics card, ive seen in the AMD developement section my processor working, but we shall see

My System for reference

ASUS M4A87TD/USB3

Phenom 2 955 Black edition

1Ghz HIS HD 7770 Graphics card

8GB G.Skill ripjaw-x Gaming series ram

1TB WD Hard disk

Basically my question revolves around getting AMD to work with Mountain Lion, and my graphics card. i have read that the support isnt there yet, but the beta build of 10.8.3 contains drivers

Were my confusion lays is within the kernel changing, which iso to get, and how to boot. i know you need a bootloader, and im assuming you burn that to a dvd and burn the image to a USB Drive, and make them work together or the other way around

The ISO well for my graphics card id assume id need a copy of the beta 10.8.3, but im not sure if any of the AMD kernel's work with that version

Last but not least, the kernel confuses me as in, do i have to somehow add that into the ISO or the bootloader, or install that later down the track, were to change the kernel and how of mac mountain lion really has me abit confused

Any help would be appreciated, sorry for the long post, im trying to be as detailed as possable in where i need help

Thanks for the long post, the more info the better :) Currently there is no support for HD7000 series in any way that could be used as a new install, since 10.8.3 is still beta only available to developers, it also only exists as a software update package to run on existing 10.8.2 install. Usually once officially released Apple will update the retail version available to download from the app store as well, but we wait and see. Then the is question of if/when (more a matter of when than if) there will be support for AMD CPU under official 10.8.3. Once 10.8.3 is released, or even now, I would suggest monitoring the AMD development threads to see about compatability. They really have done a lot over the past few months. Until then, this gives you time to read and learn more about OSX and hackintosh, learn, and read some more.

Thanks for the long post, the more info the better :) Currently there is no support for HD7000 series in any way that could be used as a new install, since 10.8.3 is still beta only available to developers, it also only exists as a software update package to run on existing 10.8.2 install. Usually once officially released Apple will update the retail version available to download from the app store as well, but we wait and see. Then the is question of if/when (more a matter of when than if) there will be support for AMD CPU under official 10.8.3. Once 10.8.3 is released, or even now, I would suggest monitoring the AMD development threads to see about compatability. They really have done a lot over the past few months. Until then, this gives you time to read and learn more about OSX and hackintosh, learn, and read some more.

10.8.3 beta doesnt work without DSDT edit :) so no support there as well. Also the author of DSDT edit said that this is not related to driver or apple in any way and that the edit will be required even after the Full 10.8.3 comes out... sadly :(

Thank you sir, I'm actually running a 7970 under 10.8.3 for a couple months now, so think I got that part figured out :) AFAIK, support was or is being added to Enoch branch and a while back cosmo1t was also working on this as well. Clover is also capable of loading, but I have continued to use edited DSDT, partly due to personal preference (loaded my 5870 same way so just changed name of frame buffer in my DSDT and devID) and since it works, no need to mess with anything different. DSDT edit is not anything major, your essentially just specifying your framebuffer here vs. o.c.b.p or relying on bootloader to choose the correct one. Haven't seen any 7xxx series require custom editing of personalities except maybe a sense-id for HDMI. However, throw an AMD processor into the mix, and waiting a little while is best, and what's best now may not be tomorrow :)

Thank you sir, I'm actually running a 7970 under 10.8.3 for a couple months now, so think I got that part figured out :) AFAIK, support was or is being added to Enoch branch and a while back cosmo1t was also working on this as well. Clover is also capable of loading, but I have continued to use edited DSDT, partly due to personal preference (loaded my 5870 same way so just changed name of frame buffer in my DSDT and devID) and since it works, no need to mess with anything different. DSDT edit is not anything major, your essentially just specifying your framebuffer here vs. o.c.b.p or relying on bootloader to choose the correct one. Haven't seen any 7xxx series require custom editing of personalities except maybe a sense-id for HDMI. However, throw an AMD processor into the mix, and waiting a little while is best, and what's best now may not be tomorrow :)

Yea I know...only that the DSDT edit is giving 99 errors on my dsdt... and anybody who tried it on AMD machine had similiar results...If I had intel it would be easy... I will have to wait for some kext...

EDIT: You say clover can run it without the edit? O_o that is the best thing i heard in a loooong time :D