Sony digital8 camcorder

trav1085

10 posts in this topic

I have a Sony Digital8 DCR-TRV280 NTSC camcorder I got with my Dell Dimension 1100 from Dell. Appantly I can't find the model on Sony's site though.

I plugged in the USB connection to my usb port on my x86 hackintosh, and it didn't do anything. Will I need drivers for this from the disc that came with it, I actually lost that disc though. Can I download the drivers somewhere besides driverguide (I can't find any drivers for it there).

Does Mac OS X 10.4.7 support usb streaming or something? I want to share my camera via yahoo messenger beta 3

My dell doesn't have firefire, I don't think any do

You probably don't need drivers for the digital camcorder. OS X has extensive libraries to support most devices out-of-the-box. You might want to make sure that USB port is working with other devices in OS X to see if the port itself is the problem. If all else fails, you may want to try FireWire as others have suggested. A firewire card is cheap and easy to install, providing you didn't get a mini-tower or something that doesn't have much expandability.

P.S. Wrong forum.

Yes, I did just realize that I should be posting in the Hardware subforum in the Mac OS X86 Homebrew category. Can one of the admins move it?

I found the install discs that have the drivers for Windows, which Windows doens't have the drivers it needs. It just had Video to CD program on it. No drivers. I'll try some other USB ports and such.

I always though firefire was just Mac only, I don't have any other cords for my camera except the charger and usb cord. I don't know if it will work.

even if you find the USB driver for your Digital8, it will not work for streaming video. Why, you ask? The USB connection of your camera is only for retrieving the still photo. I know this because we have the same camcorder. So get yourself a firewire card already.

My Sony Vaio is a desktop tower built to run Windows XP, but it came with a few FireWire ports. Although this isn't the case for most PCs, you can go buy a cheap one at any local store that sells basic computer parts. Check CompUSA or something.

Here's a cheap FireWire card: StarTech.com 2 Port FireWire PCI Card

This is a FireWire-400. If you want to get high-speed data transfer rates, get a FireWire-800 card. I have a 400 and it works fine for my purposes.