Google releases new i5 chrome book with Retnaesque screen

ameris_cyning

11 posts in this topic

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-chromebook-pixel-for-whats-next.html

Chromebooks were designed to make computing speedy, simple and secure. For many of you, they have become the perfect, additional (and yes, affordable) computer: ideal for catching up on emails, sharing documents and chatting via Hangouts. We’re tremendously grateful to our partners—Samsung, Acer, Lenovo and HP—for their commitment. The momentum has been remarkable: the Samsung Chromebook has been #1 on Amazon’s bestseller list for laptops every day since it launched 125 days ago in the U.S., and Chromebooks now represent more than 10 percent of notebook sales at Currys PC World, the largest electronics retailer in the U.K.

So what’s next? Today we’re excited to announce our newest laptop—the Chromebook Pixel—which brings together the best in hardware, software and design to inspire the next generation of Chromebooks. With the Pixel, we set out to rethink all elements of a computer in order to design the best laptop possible, especially for power users who have fully embraced the cloud. The philosophy ofChrome has always been to minimize the “chrome” of the browser. In much the same way, the goal of the Pixel is to make the pixels disappear, giving people the best web experience.

As a Chromebook user, here are my thoughts:

1) The screen is KILLER. I mean, it's going to be similar in quality to the retina, but that touchscreen demo was fantastic!

2) Despite taking a lot of Apple's aesthetic, there's no doubt it's a nice laptop. Anyone else notice that familiar front dent for opening the lid?

But the fun stops there. Unless they are coming out with a better OS, there is absolutely NO need for an i5 laptop running ChromeOS! I currently have the ARM dual-core Chromebook, and it hasn't lagged with a single application - the performance is simply fantastic. And I'm not even talking about "satisfactory" performance - apart from some page caching issues (which are OS-related) the OS seems maxed out. That said, I'm also running Chrubuntu on my Chromebook, so that's where the options might open up :D

• Like 1

I'd like to get my hands on one of those.... then install OS X on it (and make it work better than a retina macbook pro 13). Unfortunately, other than the touchscreen, it's lacking in USB (2.0 instead of 3.0) only an i5 (too bad you cant select an i7) and no thunderbolt or firewire.

• Like 1

I'd like to get my hands on one of those.... then install OS X on it (and make it work better than a retina macbook pro 13). Unfortunately, other than the touchscreen, it's lacking in USB (2.0 instead of 3.0) only an i5 (too bad you cant select an i7) and no thunderbolt or firewire.

I love my Chromebook (especially the $250 pricetag), but I just don't know how they're going to pull off an over-powered laptop at that price! Touch-screen is cool and all, but you make some VERY valid points about connectivity!

http://www.extremete...oo-high-a-price

pretty good points made throughout this article... especially with the (rumored) Retna MacBook Air...

http://gizmodo.com/5986031/every-reason-not-to-buy-the-google-chromebook-pixel

pretty biased report but basically the same conclusions : don't

• Like 1

That gizmodo article sounds like it was written by a pre-pubescent, acne-ridden "tech enthusiast", with him alternating between writing belligerent titles and wiping cheetos dust off of his hands on to his khakis. Not impressed with that level of "journalism" - I had to double-check whether it wasn't a letter to the editor that was spotlighted or something.

• Like 1

Guess the machine doesn't suck (as much) as we thought... Bill Richardson - Google Employee and Chrome OS software engineer, has in his +Google feed how to install LinuxMint (mmmmm minty) onto the new Chromebook Pixel.

If some flavor of Linux can be installed, can OSX be far behind?? hummmmm...

Guess the machine doesn't suck (as much) as we thought... Bill Richardson - Google Employee and Chrome OS software engineer, has in his +Google feed how to install LinuxMint (mmmmm minty) onto the new Chromebook Pixel.

If some flavor of Linux can be installed, can OSX be far behind?? hummmmm....

Probably not, and it's something I holding out for with the ARM chromebook (I'm not holding my breath). The question is whether you want to spend that much, when a macbook Pro is THAT much more expensive. Sure, the Chromebook has touch-screen, but on a laptop it's annoying to use without a tablet mode, or at least that's how I felt about my HP a few years ago...

Then again, if I saw one in person and had the cash...it's a nice laptop :D