WhatTheTech

138 posts in this topic

it all really depends on the placement of the stuff on your MB. I have two tall stacks of stuff - one being the USB/PS2 stack, and the other the DVI/VGA stack. Both rise high enough that I'd have to cut. By cut I mean the original fan mounting bracket thing. I could most certainly put fans directly on that grill - but since I don't need them, the only reason to do it is to reuse the original fan mounting bracket thing... and that is what I'd have to cut. A lot.

I had looked very very closely at his pictures before, but the detail just wasn't there to see clearly what he did down in that area... maybe I'll message him for some better pics that can give me some ideas.

It would be a good idea - I've been taken on a webcam tour of his case before and got some really good pointers from the way he set things up!

My RMA motherboard comes in Wednesday, so I should have a decent idea by then. I almost wish I hadn't taken the case apart for anodizing just yet so I can make the cuts first, but if it really comes down to it I'll cut the whole thing and have my kit from The Laser Hive anodized, and then just cut some more...

Mr. D, sometime in the near future we should have a G5 backplate that lets you keep the rear fans and fit any standard ATX motherboard's rear IO. Currently there is a mATX version done by Sheriff who released the schematic. I'm working on an ATX version. The rear fans would be moved to the left a bit so you'd have to shave off some of the plastic "lip" that sits flush with the CPU shield.

Well, a small update. I have decided what I'm going to do with the backplate, and I'm feeling good about my final decision.

Every G5 mod I have ever done involved cutting the back. Honestly, I had no problem with it - I would prefer to have a secure motherboard with a cut back than an non-secure motherboard with a clean one. By a series of misfortunes in terms of measurements (things being 5mm too small, 8mm too big) I was sort of forced into keeping the back uncut. For those who are interested, here are some of the factors that came into play:

1) I wanted it to look good.

2) I wanted to use the stock fan grill

3) I didn't want to encroach on the PSU area with my motherboard (I/O is longer than Mac Pro stock area)

4) My Lian-Li backplate was one PCI slot shorter than the Mac Pro, meaning I would have to have a gaping hole on one side or the other...

You know, when talking with SirKeldon about all this, I realized that the ONLY things that I use on my motherboard are the USB ports. Seriously! My mic and headphones are USB, obviously my keyboard and mouse are, and I use a PCIE wi-fi card. I never use on-board video, so as long as I had good PCI brackets, I was good to go! So, with two USB 3.0 ports on the front that I will hook up, and a 4-slot USB expansion card - all I needed now was a way to utilize the two USB 3.0 ports on the back (I have 7 USB devices total). I found these panel mount USB 3.0 ports, and despite not loving the idea of having more screws on the back, I think some JB Weld might be an acceptable alternative! As for the rest of the ports on the back, I'll use some salvaged plastic from a Mac fan bracket to block them off.

I'm sort of looking forward to my stock look - probably because it's something I haven't done before. Who knows, maybe it will turn in to a total stock look with extenders for each port???

We got a BUNCH of snow last night, so I'm putting off anodizing until Friday, but be prepared for picture overload!!!!

Well, a small update. I have decided what I'm going to do with the backplate, and I'm feeling good about my final decision.

Every G5 mod I have ever done involved cutting the back. Honestly, I had no problem with it - I would prefer to have a secure motherboard with a cut back than an non-secure motherboard with a clean one. By a series of misfortunes in terms of measurements (things being 5mm too small, 8mm too big) I was sort of forced into keeping the back uncut. For those who are interested, here are some of the factors that came into play:

1) I wanted it to look good.

2) I wanted to use the stock fan grill

3) I didn't want to encroach on the PSU area with my motherboard (I/O is longer than Mac Pro stock area)

4) My Lian-Li backplate was one PCI slot shorter than the Mac Pro, meaning I would have to have a gaping hole on one side or the other...

You know, when talking with SirKeldon about all this, I realized that the ONLY things that I use on my motherboard are the USB ports. Seriously! My mic and headphones are USB, obviously my keyboard and mouse are, and I use a PCIE wi-fi card. I never use on-board video, so as long as I had good PCI brackets, I was good to go! So, with two USB 3.0 ports on the front that I will hook up, and a 4-slot USB expansion card - all I needed now was a way to utilize the two USB 3.0 ports on the back (I have 7 USB devices total). I found these panel mount USB 3.0 ports, and despite not loving the idea of having more screws on the back, I think some JB Weld might be an acceptable alternative! As for the rest of the ports on the back, I'll use some salvaged plastic from a Mac fan bracket to block them off.

I'm sort of looking forward to my stock look - probably because it's something I haven't done before. Who knows, maybe it will turn in to a total stock look with extenders for each port???

We got a BUNCH of snow last night, so I'm putting off anodizing until Friday, but be prepared for picture overload!!!!

There may be a way that you dont have to cut anything.

I was thinking about this and I thought why not have the motherboard not be so close to the end of the case, giving some space and creating some internal extension cords/cables/wires then placing the cords in the empty space lining them up with the backplate. You would also need an internal mounting device to hold your PCI/e cards. But, as long as you can make those internal extension cords, no cutting would be necessary at all.

It would be some damn hard work.

Did that make any sense? lol

I know what I wanted to say but had a hard time thinking of how to type it up.

I was thinking about this and I thought why not have the motherboard not be so close to the end of the case, giving some space and creating some extension cords to line up with the back plate? You would also need an internal mounting device to hold your PCI/e cards. But, as long as you can make those internal extension cords, no cutting would be necessary at all.

People have done this before, but personally it's not something I want to do, since I really want the PCI cards to be solid. Using the stock PCI bracket like I intend to, I have 2-3" of space as it is, which is honestly enough if/when I want to extend more than just the USB. It's not a bad idea, and as I mentioned people have done it before, but I don't want to have to worry about something coming loose every time I disconnect a DVI cable :D

WhattheTech, that panel mount USB 3.0 you found is the right kind of female header for securing via just the header itself, supposing the USB ports on the Mac Pro are the same dimensions as the ones on the G5. I only did a quick test but it should hold from pushing and pulling without giving way.

For the back panel. Have you seen the "clean mac pro" mod by oentz? He bought and used some conversion kit from china, looks like your front panel is something similar. Wish they sold something like that for the G5 which has USB 3.0 front panel.

Ah, I see what you're saying. A bit of background before replying. My first G5 mod was...well...my first attempt. Things were a little shaky overall, with motherboard standoffs for the PCI bracket and a makeshift I/O shield at the back. I hated the feeling that I might knock something out of place, and really don't want to replicate that. I'm not saying that just fitting the header wouldn't work, but just for my own sake I want to KNOW that it's not going anywhere. That's why I'm almost disinclined to use JB Weld, and may actually use the screw system (obviously replacing the screws for something more aesthetically pleasing.

I have seen the conversion kit (and the near $300 price tag), but honestly it's just out of my budget. It's by the same guy that makes the front panel, which is much more reasonably priced at around $35. I may have mentioned this already, but if you look at the store section of G5modders, The Laser Hive is actually in the process of making up front panel 3.0 boards for the G5. I don't know the details, but an email to info@thelaserhive.com would definitely not go amiss!

Fair enough. If you want the screw to not show, I wonder if you could thread a hole the size of the screw in the case, screw it in place from within the case but keeping the end of the screw flush with the outside of the case, use bondo to clean up the surface and paint to match the case. Though, since you are getting it anodized that probably wouldn't work since it would be hard to match the anodized color.

• Like 1

Fair enough. If you want the screw to not show, I wonder if you could thread a hole the size of the screw in the case, screw it in place from within the case but keeping the end of the screw flush with the outside of the case, use bondo to clean up the surface and paint to match the case. Though, since you are getting it anodized that probably wouldn't work since it would be hard to match the anodized color.

This is exactly what I plan on doing (great minds etc.), minus the bondo. The anodizing place is throwing in some screws (and they have THOUSANDS of sizes), so I'll already have the match :D

This is essentially what I have done with my G5. I have managed to fish one USB extension cable thru one of the USB holes in the case that connects to a powered USB hub. That's how I solved my USB port issues. I very seriously thought about not even aligning the motherboard at all with the back and rotating it sideways, but I also wanted to secure my GPU (didn't have one at the time but figured I eventually get one - and did get one 2 months later) with something better than just the PCIe connections. I also bought a USB header to USB Type A Plug adapter for less than 10 bucks so if I do need access to more USB ports, I got that covered as well.

On two other notes - JB Weld is your friend, and I am getting snowed on now and I blame you.

Turning the motherboard isn't a bad idea, but like you I'm partial to how solid the stock PCI brackets are, so with the USB 3.0 cables I will attach them to the back, and then curl the excess under the tray (for which, thankfully, I have room).

I know JB Weld is my friend, but bolts are even more my friend!

We got another 4" this afternoon - i feel your pain!

original.jpg

Are you running "Snow Leopard"????

Well, just a mini order update:

I picked up two of the HDD solutions I'm going to use:

41guRi23s-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(product link)

With the dark gray anodization (Monday, most likely) I think they'll look pretty nice without modification - I can always paint them if they look out of place. As far as placement goes, I'm trying to decide between directly under the DVD drive (nice for cable management) or attached to the underside of the shelf. I really don't see any real advantage of one over the other, but I think under the DVD drive will be easier to mount - it really comes down to whether the lip on top of the shelf will block the hot-swap mechanism.

I'm also starting to look at what sort of water cooling I want (with the help of SirKeldon and his article)...updates on their way!

Any update on the Anodized cases? Have been eagerly waiting to see how they look... :)

I have an appointment in three hours! He said it would only take an hour or two, and I have been allowed to take pictures of the process. I also got in my Corsair H60 and HDD cages, so there will be an update this evening! I'm so excited to see the result too!!

A quick plug for the company that is doing the work, I'll have more information soon!

anodizing_zps24060f32.jpg

Ok sorry for the short posts before, I was actually at the anodizing place! The outer shell is done, and sitting here in my office looking AWESOME. They are doing the inner shell (mesh) later this afternoon, and I will pick it up tomorrow. This thing looks AMAZING - simply beautiful! I can't wait to get it all reassembled so I can share with you guys.

_MG_0153_zpsea40dea2.jpg

Tom took excellent care of everything, and explained each part of the process in excellent detail:

_MG_0144_zps9db441b6.jpg

I also saw the other work that they do, and I'm thinking I'll be back to them very soon (anyone want a black G5??)

A full article on anodizing with about a dozen pictures will be up on G5Modders.com later this week, I'll leave a note here when it's posted!

Once I pick up the inner shell, it's time to reassemble. This is both very exciting and very depressing. :D

• Like 1