HP Envy 17t-3200 - Install and Run OS X/macOS

mnfesq

422 posts in this topic

Well, if you used the settings for Clover I posted, you should be going directly to the Clover menu and not HP's UEFI menu.  But if you are at the UEFI menu, select Boot Maintenance Manager and then select Boot File and then select your USB's EFI folder and navigate to Clover64.efi.  That should take you to the Clover menu and not just to the Apple boot screen.

OH, JEEZ LOUISE!  I gave you the wrong Clover settings.  Those are the ones for your SSD installation and not your USB installation.  For your USB installation, you need to select install for UEFI only and select install in ESP.  Most other options at that point should be greyed out.  I'm so sorry to be giving you bad info.  Blame it on my Saturday night mind-set.

Ha :)   Sounds like your Saturday is more interesting than mine 

So I did change the Clover setting and am able to get to the Clover boot screen and it looks like it's moving :) woohoo!!  Took a while for the progress bar to show up, let's see where this gets me.

Thanks for all your help.

Stupid question.

In the zip file I got from you, I know where Clover goes.  What about Applications and L/E?  I'm assuming they are copied after installation of OS right?

Any boot options I should be selecting at the Clover screen?

Yes to your first question.

-v as to the second question so that you can see what's happening during the boot process.

I see a fatal line "SuperIODevice found unsupported chip Winbound sequence ID=0xffff

It seems to hang at the beginning of the progress bar.  Fan spinning full

Last line is mbinit: done [128 MB total pool size, (85/42) split]

Adding a screenshot of where I'm stuck.

post-1405166-0-84563900-1517112729_thumb.jpg

The SuperIODevice line is not significant.  It relates to a sensor that is loaded into FakeSMC.  You can ignore that.

If you are getting to the progress bar, I'm assuming that you got through the text that displays in verbose mode.  If so, video has loaded, which is the biggest hassle with High Sierra.  It may be that you are having trouble with BT.  If that's the case, you can remove the BT kexts in Clover on your USB installer and see if you can boot without them.

If your problems persists, please post a photo of your screen where it hangs.

The SuperIODevice line is not significant.  It relates to a sensor that is loaded into FakeSMC.  You can ignore that.

If you are getting to the progress bar, I'm assuming that you got through the text that displays in verbose mode.  If so, video has loaded, which is the biggest hassle with High Sierra.  It may be that you are having trouble with BT.  If that's the case, you can remove the BT kexts in Clover on your USB installer and see if you can boot without them.

If your problems persists, please post a photo of your screen where it hangs.

Thanks

Which kext is the BT one?  I see Broadcom_Wifi.kext

I also see BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext

Never mind about the BT, you haven't gotten that far yet, based on the photo you posted.  

There was some warning about your block storage driver.  I couldn't see it.  I'm not sure if your USB drive is getting recognized.  

I'm thinking that you did not replace the USB config.plist with the one I made and that you are using the stock config.plist that comes with Clover when you install it.  Did you add the DSDT/SSDT and the custom kexts to your Clover installation on the USB?

Never mind about the BT, you haven't gotten that far yet, based on the photo you posted.  

There was some warning about your block storage driver.  I couldn't see it.  I'm not sure if your USB drive is getting recognized.  

I'm thinking that you did not replace the USB config.plist with the one I made and that you are using the stock config.plist that comes with Clover when you install it.  Did you add the DSDT/SSDT and the custom kexts to your Clover installation on the USB?

I did copy over everything in the Clover directory you sent over.  Let me try and overwrite after I install Clover Bootloader.  This is my new screen now.  Looks like it's stuck on USB.

Everywhere I've looked for where I'm stuck, the suggestion is to turn on XHCI Hand-Off set to Enabled.  We don't have that option.  Another option is to disable USB 3.0 which also don't have.  What did you do with the USB to get past this point?

Thanks

post-1405166-0-44924300-1517115280_thumb.jpg

Try taking out my DSDT.  I'm thinking that your USB device ID's are different from mine.  It's not all that unusual for laptops of the same make and model to have slightly different hardware.  Clover should be able to use your native DSDT.  

Try taking out my DSDT.  I'm thinking that your USB device ID's are different from mine.  It's not all that unusual for laptops of the same make and model to have slightly different hardware.  Clover should be able to use your native DSDT.  

Where and how did you set the USB device IDs?

EH01, EH02, and XHC _DSM methods.

Looks like a no go for me.  I've tried all sorts of things and using the Clover folder you sent over, merging with the High Sierra Clover folder download, your Clover without merging, just the High Sierra Clover folder, no luck.  Any thoughts on what I should do next?

Thanks

Looks like I got it working.  It booted all the way up to the install screen :) . What I did was take your Clover and set InjectUSB and USBOwnership in the boot options.  That did the trick!

• Like 1

Is there a trick to getting the MacOS to boot from the HDD?  I copied over the EFI folder from the USB stick to the HDD EFI partition overwriting it on the HDD.  However, I keep getting No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key error.  I can still boot off the USB without any issues.

Answered my own question.

Figured it out.  Need to install a bootloader :)

Ok, I think I'm also caught up to everyone's install now.

Known issues for me:

• Bluetooth audio stutters.  However, when I turn off Wifi, bluetooth audio is flawless.
  • Top speakers are not working.  I think I read somewhere in this thread about possibly fixing that.
  • Another issue that cropped up, inconsistent boot.  I would get stuck in a reboot cycle without ever making it to the Apple logo.  After a few reboots, it eventually boots up properly.

BT Audio - Not sure what that's about.  Try different BT devices and see if performance is consistently poor.

Top Speakers - You need to create a multi-output audio device with both Speaker (Analog) and Speaker (Multi).

Inconsistent Boot - Repair permissions and rebuild caches.  This is most likely due to the GenericBrightness.kext.  I have no solution for it.

Good job getting macOS installed!

• Like 1

BT Audio - Not sure what that's about.  Try different BT devices and see if performance is consistently poor.

Top Speakers - You need to create a multi-output audio device with both Speaker (Analog) and Speaker (Multi).

Inconsistent Boot - Repair permissions and rebuild caches.  This is most likely due to the GenericBrightness.kext.  I have no solution for it.

Any pointers on how to build the multi-output audio?  I do have a Multi audio device that works for top and bottom speakers.  The Analog device is only for the front.  I'm assuming we need to build a new multi-audio to combine those two right?

Are you talking about creating an aggregate audio device within MacOS using Audio Midi Setup?

to persevere is diabolical...

Try ACPIBacklight

ACPIBacklight.kext just doesn't work for me.  I tried RehabMan's ACPI 100 patch with no luck.  I still have the slider bar because that patch adds a PNLF device but the slider doesn't change screen brightness.

Any pointers on how to build the multi-output audio?  I do have a Multi audio device that works for top and bottom speakers.  The Analog device is only for the front.  I'm assuming we need to build a new multi-audio to combine those two right?

Are you talking about creating an aggregate audio device within MacOS using Audio Midi Setup?

Yes, only select the multi-output device in AudioMidiSetup.

What did you do to repair permissions and cache?  Still getting a bunch of boot loops but eventually boots up.

As for the audio, that's the case with all multi-output devices, including on real Macs.  You can adjust the volume by selecting each separate device and set the volume for that device.  I find that the analog speaker should be set at 100% and the multi speaker should be set at 67%.

To repair permissions, I usually use KCPM Utility Pro.  You can also rebuild your caches in terminal or in single-user mode at boot up by typing kextcache -i /

As for the audio, that's the case with all multi-output devices, including on real Macs.  You can adjust the volume by selecting each separate device and set the volume for that device.  I find that the analog speaker should be set at 100% and the multi speaker should be set at 67%.

To repair permissions, I usually use KCPM Utility Pro.  You can also rebuild your caches in terminal or in single-user mode at boot up by typing kextcache -i /

Thanks for all your help!!  I'll try this out.  I've managed to get Windows and Ubuntu booting off of clover.  Triple boot is working :)

No, I haven't, but I'm constantly installing new beta versions for testing purposes.  Rolling back to kexts and frameworks from 10.12 doesn't seem like a good solution for me.  But I'm curious, your HP Envy is so similar to mine, I can't believe that you can get screen brightness to work with ACPIBacklight.kext and I can't.  Can you please post your DSDT?  Maybe there's something in mine, even the one you modified, that's preventing it from working.  Thanks. 

The only differences in our envy are in SSDTs

If you don't replace AppleBacklight.kext, AppleBacklightExpert.kext and DisplayServices.framework ACPIBacklight will never work.

I made some changes in DSDT and SSDTs but are not relevant (I think), (Rename H_EC to EC in DSDT and SSDTs and other changes) if you want to test it attach all your original SSDT and config.plist (For this reason I had already asked for your original SSDTs in post #356) (BTW ACPIBacklight had to work without new changes)

I've removed AppleIntelCPUPM in clover, removed Drop OEM flag, removed sort order, added AutoMerge and dropped DMAR, and All SSDTs by length.

This is my DSDT, remember to rename to EC all your SSDTs

DSDT.aml.zip

The only differences in our envy are in SSDTs

If you don't replace AppleBacklight.kext, AppleBacklightExpert.kext and DisplayServices.framework ACPIBacklight will never work.

I made some changes in DSDT and SSDTs but are not relevant (I think), (Rename H_EC to EC in DSDT and SSDTs and other changes) if you want to test it attach all your original SSDT and config.plist (For this reason I had already asked for your original SSDTs in post #356) (BTW ACPIBacklight had to work without new changes)

I've removed AppleIntelCPUPM in clover, removed Drop OEM flag, removed sort order, added AutoMerge and dropped DMAR, and All SSDTs by length.

This is my DSDT, remember to rename to EC all your SSDTs

So I was able to adjust screen brightness using the method you use.  However, I did not need RehabMan's ACPI100 patch or any of his PNLF device patches.  I just used the most basic PNLF device patch there is.  All of the adjustment levels are already in my native DSDT.  I'm still using all of my native SSDT's with the one SSDT I added using ssdtPRGen. It works no better than the Generic Brightness kext but I am hoping it is more reliable.  I think the problem with the Generic Brightness kext is that it is unsigned and macOS doesn't like it in L/E when I update the OS, even though I have set SIP to allow unsigned kexts. I have reverted to using an older DSDT that had fewer patches in it because I like to have as few patches and changes from the native files as possible.  That makes it easier for me to isolate problems that may arise in the future.  The more changes I make, the more variables there are that could be causing my problem.  Anyhow, thanks for suggesting this method to adjust screen brightness.  I'll report any issues I have running updates with the older kexts.  I may just need to replace them after every update.