Powermac G5 Fans

kevinodonnell

6 posts in this topic

Compiling parts for my G5 mod I had intended to reuse the existing fans at 5v but after reading a fair few posts about noise I've decided to order some new ones.

Looked around but can't seem to see sizes apart from the back two. Can anyone give me a list of fans and the sizes?

Cheers for any help!

I have done what you are wanting to do - that is to put new fans into the original brackets/holders/odd contraptions that Apple designed to make the original G5 sound like an airplane. If you want to replace all the fans, you'll need 92mm, 80mm and 60mm fans, The 60mm are for the PSU, the 80mm are for the fan on the speaker bracket and one of the fans on the HDD cooler assembly, and the 92mm for the rest. Except the funky blower fan that is the second fan on the HDD cooler assembly, you can buy them all for cheap at newegg or whichever your preferred retailer is. I have yet to find a replacement fan for the blower, but unless you are putting some 10k RPM drives in that space, you wont need more than the one. My HDD temps w/o any fans were only 120 f. I never replaced the back fans in mine, just used the CPU cooler bracket fans, the speaker fans the the PSU fans and I have yet to crack 100 f. When I am running a long CPU intensive process (time shifting a 65 minute audio file for example), my system runs in the low 90s with those 3 system fans and 2 PSU fans. I even turned my GPU fan down to 60% because that temp never cracked 90 f.

I have yet to reuse the hotswap connectors, but I have saved them so that I can add that later.

on black 1.JPGCPU Dual Fan - WHITE.JPGHDD Fan.JPGSpeaker and Fan - WHITE.JPG

Good luck with your mod!