[UEFIPatch] UEFI patching utility

CodeRush
1,981 posts in this topic

Hey I am new to this whole bios patching, i plan on buying a Asus Maximus VI Impact in the coming days.... 

I had noticed a few of the other ROG boards had been patched in the past...

Will it be possible to patch the VI series to work? 

Thanks if any more info is needed i will supply it asap

Hope to hear back soon!

Hi cdnGHOST,

looks good:

$>pmpatch MAXIMUS-VI-IMPACT-ASUS-0404.CAP MAXIMUS-VI-IMPACT-ASUS-0404-UNLOCKED.CAP
PMPatch 0.5.13
PowerManagement modules not found.
PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi module at 002C0E28 patched.
AMI nest modules not found.
Phoenix nest modules not found.
CpuPei module at 0067BE20 not patched: Patch pattern not found.
CpuPei module at 0077BE20 not patched: Patch pattern not found.
Output file generated.

There will be probably issues to flash a modified ROM, cause the ASUS guys have a lot of fun locking the BIOS region against mods (SPI-writelock).

With a SPI flasher it's anyway not a problem. Once unlocked you can flash your modified and unlocked ROMs as you like.

Tha

Hi cdnGHOST,

looks good:

$>pmpatch MAXIMUS-VI-IMPACT-ASUS-0404.CAP MAXIMUS-VI-IMPACT-ASUS-0404-UNLOCKED.CAP
PMPatch 0.5.13
PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi module at 002C0E28 patched.
CpuPei module at 0067BE20 not patched: Patch pattern not found.
CpuPei module at 0077BE20 not patched: Patch pattern not found.
Output file generated.

There will be probably issues to flash a modified ROM, cause the ASUS guys have a lot of fun locking the BIOS region against mods (SPI-writelock).

With a SPI flasher it's anyway not a problem. Once unlocked you can flash your modified and unlocked ROMs as you like.

Thanks for the fast reply, promising to hear this as i cant wait to build this bad boy! 

once i get the mobo I may have a few questions if things dont go as planned... 

Again much appreciated 

(I dont 100% undersand what all that meant lol but your last line in your replay made me feel

better about my motherboard choice!)

Tha

Thanks for the fast reply, promising to hear this as i cant wait to build this bad boy! 

once i get the mobo I may have a few questions if things dont go as planned... 

Again much appreciated 

(I dont 100% undersand what all that meant lol but your last line in your replay made me feel

better about my motherboard choice!)

Afaik Gigabyte don't lock their ROMs, ever thought about GA-Z87N-WIFI ?

I had thought about gigabyte again, but i had some problems recently with a GA-Z77N-Wifi that shorted out and sparked then caught a test bench on fire... one of the standoff sections on the board had a small fracture in the PCB board and it crapped out on me.. almost took my video card and new corsair dominator platinum ram with it... I took the board in to be RMAd by the stoer it was purchased from there was a 5 socket pins that were slightly bent or misaligned and I was told 

" due to physical damage to the motherboard we are unable to RMA the motherboard blah blah blah..."

I swear the socket pins were fine when I brought the board in for service now I don't want to support them hence why i am leaning towards ASUS

I had thought about gigabyte again, but i had some problems recently with a GA-Z77N-Wifi that shorted out and sparked then caught a test bench on fire... one of the standoff sections on the board had a small fracture in the PCB board and it crapped out on me.. almost took my video card and new corsair dominator platinum ram with it... I took the board in to be RMAd by the stoer it was purchased from there was a 5 socket pins that were slightly bent or misaligned and I was told 

" due to physical damage to the motherboard we are unable to RMA the motherboard blah blah blah..."

I swear the socket pins were fine when I brought the board in for service now I don't want to support them hence why i am leaning towards ASUS

Yes, I have similar experience with service/support, those gigabyte guys repeatedly deleted my forum account registration at the forum.giga-byte.co.uk, and guess what I did:

sold the board!

Before I had a GA-P67A-UD4-B3 and exactly 3 weeks after end of guarantee the board quit, did not even power on.

Only cause of hackintosh I bought a Gigabyte (GA-Z77-D3H) again but when I found the latest ROM was a beta bios from february and they repeatedly deleted my forum account I resumed:

Once cheap {censored}, now expensive {censored}. Gigabyte for me? Not again.

But that just my personal oppinion.

With one exception: for someone who's building a OS X machine, gigabyte is most likely a better choice, the best was a QUO board :D and that's gigabyte too.

Hi,

I patched this ROM for you, NAF92-Q67 ver 07 PM unlocked ROM download, extract to a DOS stick and execute flash.bat

should be no problem to flash this ROM ;)

Hi thanks for this, but if you read my post you will see I had no problem patching my BIOS files.

I just wanted to point out how the two versions of the Patch Util behave differently, and the newer version crashes, while the old does not.

I'm assuming that the output files are the same though, with the newer and older versions?

post-76946-0-52083200-1379336191_thumb.jpg

If you see this attachment, you can see the problem I have flashing the BIOS. This is a problem with the version 7 BIOS from Jetway, as the older versions all work fine. This is not a problem to do with the Patch Util, just a coincidence that this v7 BIOS crashes the newest Patch Util but also will not flash onto my motherboard.

I will correct that crash in a new release ASAP. I have no OS X now to compile a new version, and I plan to integrate BIOS unlock code into PMPatch 0.6, so it's just a coincidence.

New BIOS v7 appears to be locked, like many modern BIOSes from different vendors, but if you can flash the older one to remove this lock - you have no problem. Using AMIBCP is another option.

• Like 1

Hi thanks for this, but if you read my post you will see I had no problem patching my BIOS files.

I just wanted to point out how the two versions of the Patch Util behave differently, and the newer version crashes, while the old does not.

I'm assuming that the output files are the same though, with the newer and older versions?

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

If you see this attachment, you can see the problem I have flashing the BIOS. This is a problem with the version 7 BIOS from Jetway, as the older versions all work fine. This is not a problem to do with the Patch Util, just a coincidence that this v7 BIOS crashes the newest Patch Util but also will not flash onto my motherboard.

let's see, if you want you can dump and upload your descriptor region for a review with

fpt -desc -d desc.bin

bR

Asus Maximus VI Hero 0804. No Luck :(

Might have to dust off my Maximus V Gene :)

C:\Users\Sean\Desktop\PMPatch_0.5.13_win>PMPatch.exe MAXIMUS-VI-HERO-ASUS-0804.C

AP 2.CAP

PMPatch 0.5.13

PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi module at 002BCD38 patched.

CpuPei module at 00674F40 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

CpuPei module at 00774F40 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

Output file generated.

Is this OK to attempt to Flash? Or is the modding incomplete? Thanks CodeRush!

I've tried using PMPatch on a few different BIOS ROMs from Supermicro, some Haswell and some Ivy Bridge and most of them end like this:

Trying PMPatch on the X9SAE BIOS version X9SAE3.710 I get:

PMPatch 0.5.13
PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi modules not found.
Trying to apply patch #1
Nested PowerManagement module at 004B0B24 patched.
Segmentation fault: 11

I've used PMPatch hundreds of times before and never had any issues with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge boards before but I'm not having any success with any of these. I've tried with the Supermicro X9SAE, X10SAE, C7Z87, and a few other Haswell boards also. They always seem to end with a "Segmentation fault: 11." Any ideas?

vanillahack, try using version for windows, this segfault problem is OSX-specific. This will be corrected it the next version, I hope.

I have tried to patch X9SAE3.710, but PMPatch can't fit the patched file to available space and fails. I can make you a patched file manually using PhoenixTool, if you wish.

cdnGHOST, here it is.

MAXIMUS-VI-IMPACT-ASUS-0404-PM.zip

• Like 1

vanillahack, try using version for windows, this segfault problem is OSX-specific. This will be corrected it the next version, I hope.

I have tried to patch X9SAE3.710, but PMPatch can't fit the patched file to available space and fails. I can make you a patched file manually using PhoenixTool, if you wish.

I tried PMPatch under windows as you said and saw the same lack of space issues.

I pulled up phoenixtool for the X10SAE3.813 BIOS and I believe I finally located the proper module from the dump by phoenixtool:

grep -b '\x75\x08\x0F\xBA\xE8\x0F\x89\x44\x24\x30' *.ROM
Binary file F7731B4C-58A2-4DF4-8980-5645D39ECE58_1_76.ROM matches

I pulled that module up in XVI32 and changed 75 to EB at the beginning of that hex sequence and was able to pack the BIOS back up with phoenixtool. I won't be able to test it for a couple of days but that worked. Thank you!

I used to do this all the time with pre-3k and 3k Asus BIOS files but apparently things are in a new module location for Haswell now. I also went back and did the X9SAE3.710 BIOS and it was in the old 8C783970-F02A-4A4D-AF09-8797A51EEC8D_1_383.ROM module.

I have been trying to boot with a patched BIOS without NullCPU and having problems.

I used the installation method that worked for me in the past, I use Chimera bootloader and have my custom edited DSDT. In the past I only installed NullCPU and FakeSMC.

I am using the NAF92-Q67 motherbaord with i7-2600K CPU and HD3000 graphics, using one HDMI and one DVI output.

The first time I booted it seemed to crash on the CPUManagement.

I tried booting with GeneratePStates=YES and it doesn't seem to crash on CPUManagement, but rather is getting stuck at AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.

Does that mean that maybe this patched BIOS has allowed me to boot without the NullCPU kext, but there is something else in my setup (maybe graphics) which is getting stuck now, which was NOT getting stuck before when I was using NullCPU?

I have been trying to boot with a patched BIOS without NullCPU and having problems.

I used the installation method that worked for me in the past, I use Chimera bootloader and have my custom edited DSDT. In the past I only installed NullCPU and FakeSMC.

I am using the NAF92-Q67 motherbaord with i7-2600K CPU and HD3000 graphics, using one HDMI and one DVI output.

The first time I booted it seemed to crash on the CPUManagement.

I tried booting with GeneratePStates=YES and it doesn't seem to crash on CPUManagement, but rather is getting stuck at AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.

Does that mean that maybe this patched BIOS has allowed me to boot without the NullCPU kext, but there is something else in my setup (maybe graphics) which is getting stuck now, which was NOT getting stuck before when I was using NullCPU?

As I recall, the Sandy Bridge systems had trouble with most i5 and better CPUs without an SSDT. I think generating P states helps that problem as well. If you're getting to AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB, you're not having an issue with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement assuming NullCPU is not being loaded. Do you have VT-d disabled? That caused me lots of grief until I figured that one out. Typically a Q67 board would probably have VT-d enabled. It sounds like your patched BIOS is working fine though.

As I recall, the Sandy Bridge systems had trouble with most i5 and better CPUs without an SSDT. I think generating P states helps that problem as well. If you're getting to AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB, you're not having an issue with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement assuming NullCPU is not being loaded. Do you have VT-d disabled? That caused me lots of grief until I figured that one out. Typically a Q67 board would probably have VT-d enabled. It sounds like your patched BIOS is working fine though.

I just checked and VT-d is disabled, and always has been. It is the default for this motherboard.

I have never looked into SSDT because I never needed that for my machine. Maybe because I was using NullCPU?

What is the best way to get up to speed and learn about SSDT?

smsaim, it's OK. And it's described right in the first post here.

Thanks for the reply CodeRush. My apologies, re-read the first post :)

Anyways I attempted to flash it and the file did not pass file security verification. I think there is a way I can force flash the file and bypass security check by putting the BIOS on a USB key and doing a special flashing method. I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks.

Hello,

I am not able to patch a recent version of the Asus z87-deluxe-dual firmware. PMPatch will generate a new file but the ASUS Bios Flashloader2 says the file does not pass the validity check and will not attempt to load it.

It does load the original file with no problem...

The original Bios does not seem to support the i7-4770 processor properly when trying to use the onboard Intel 4600 graphics via the motherboard HDMI port. Windows will write rectangles all over the screen, and bluescreen entirely at times.

Enclosed is the newer BIOS file...

Any help would be much appreciated...

Z87-DELUXE-DUAL-ASUS-1405.zip

Hello,

I am not able to patch a recent version of the Asus z87-deluxe-dual firmware. PMPatch will generate a new file but the ASUS Bios Flashloader2 says the file does not pass the validity check and will not attempt to load it.

It does load the original file with no problem...

The original Bios does not seem to support the i7-4770 processor properly when trying to use the onboard Intel 4600 graphics via the motherboard HDMI port. Windows will write rectangles all over the screen, and bluescreen entirely at times.

Enclosed is the newer BIOS file...

Any help would be much appreciated...

I patched Powermanagement, removed (*) BIOS-lock and recalculated FFS-checksums > secure flash session should be possible now.

(*) After flashing this ROM you should be able to use Intel FTK and flashrom from linux/dos too.

Please post back here if it worked.

FixIt,

Sorry I haven't been following this thread recently, but I'm assuming you're trying to install Maverick on your new system. Correct?  If yes, then I can help.  Begin by following this thread, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290187-a-guide-to-mavericks-on-asus-z87-deluxe-4770k/ and if you get stuck, post on the thread.

You do NOT need to patch your board (I have the same one) to get it to work.  Doing so will actually cause you more headache than not.

CW

Hi Coderush,

Having been reading through your posts again, I am trying to use your method to remove the locks in my UEFI bios so that I can attempt again to flash the PMpatch'd file to my board.

I have used Phoenixtool to extract the PchInitDxe module and removed the bytes preceding the section of interest as set out in step 2 of your lock removal method and then saved as PchInitDxe.bin, however I am not confident of the parts within the module to patch and then of the re-integration into the bios file.

I would be very grateful if you were willing to take a look at the module and the already PMpatch'd bios file that are attached in the zip folder to patch the lock out and re-integrate as I would like to give the bios flash a go so I can see if my board compatability can be improved.

Many thanks for your time on this (again).H87Zotac.zip

Hi Coderush,

Having been reading through your posts again, I am trying to use your method to remove the locks in my UEFI bios so that I can attempt again to flash the PMpatch'd file to my board.

I have used Phoenixtool to extract the PchInitDxe module and removed the bytes preceding the section of interest as set out in step 2 of your lock removal method and then saved as PchInitDxe.bin, however I am not confident of the parts within the module to patch and then of the re-integration into the bios file.

I would be very grateful if you were willing to take a look at the module and the already PMpatch'd bios file that are attached in the zip folder to patch the lock out and re-integrate as I would like to give the bios flash a go so I can see if my board compatability can be improved.

Many thanks for your time on this (again).attachicon.gifH87Zotac.zip

Hi Minihack,

can you post a link to the original bios, it had a CAP header, right?

Maybe the FFS checksums can be corrected, so you can flash the ROM unlocked.

• Like 1

Hi Minihack,

can you post a link to the original bios, it had a CAP header, right?

Maybe the FFS checksums can be corrected, so you can flash the ROM unlocked.

I've been asking you earlier but you didn't respond.

Sorry, I missed that post. Here is a link to the original bios download: ZOTAC H87ITX-A-E BIOS and update utility

Many thanks for your help. That link obviously is for the bios before doing the PMpatch, and if it worked right for me the file "newbios" in my zip was simply the one patched by Coderush's utility under windows.

Flashing my newbios file to the board failed (under DOS using the various tools) as it gave me a response along the lines that a secure session could not be performed.