InsanelyMac Forum
i203msneedhelp

triple boot windows XP, osx 10.8, and ubuntu?

ok i've seen guides and people saying that you can triple windows 7, osx 10.8 and ubuntu BUT can you do this with windows xp instead of windows 7? the reason i ask is this:

a year ago i was able to triple boot windows xp, 10.6, and ubuntu and the guides said to put my harddrive bios into AHCI but i put into IDE and it still worked.

however, i read that osx 10.8 NEEDS AHCI to work definitely. well, this is a problem since windows xp will not work/boot in AHCI mode. so theoratically, that means if i can boot osx 10.8, then i can't boot windows xp and vice versa. so has anyone tried triple booting windows xp, 10.8 osx and ubuntu and if so does it work?? i don't want to waste time trying it myself unless i need to, cause as we all know,installing hackintosh requires alot of patience and trial and error.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Advertisement

Windows xp will boot up and install in AHCI mode, just make sure that you have the inf files for the F6 key upon a fresh install. No big secret and as far on a curren install you will find the answer here: http://superuser.com...ut-reinstalling

cool thanks, and so what they say about osx 10.7 and up is true? it only works on AHCI mode?

I am not an install guru, as I have struggled with installs like most, but from everything that I have seen and read the AHCI mode was a requirement for installation starting at 10.6. Changing the bios setting AFTER you install and get the OS set up could pervent you from booting into OSX. I do know that if you change the configuration with windows 7 installed the OS will not boot unless you reconfigure the drivers prior to the bios change. Sorry that I could not answer your specific question.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now