Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  

Can't empty trash in 10.7.5 [solved]

3 posts in this topic

Having problems emptying my trash can after delete about 12GB of junk I had copied from my brother Windows PC hard drive.

I was backing up his data so I could completely wipe his PC. After I finished copying back his data to his computer, I just went and dragged the entire HD image to the trash (oops). I have delete large video files and multiple DVD images before in my Mac, but for some reason the trash did not empty this time.

I tried Secure empty trash which usually takes care of stubborn deletes. And even after a reboot it still shows I have my trash can filled. I also tried:

rm -rf ~/.Trash/* 

It is not emptying the trash can. Both with and without the "sudo".

Any ideas on what to do? I recently upgraded the 10.7.5 supplemental without problems.

Currently running OS X 10.7.5 / OS X 10.6.8 / Ubuntu Studio 12.04 / Windows XP

Boots to Lion with Chamaleon, 3 internal HD (OSs) & 1 external HD (data)

Thanks. Booting to window solved the problem. If I ran OS X without the external connected, the trash was empty, it only was full (and full) with the external HD plugged in.

Ran Maintenace & Onyx afterwards to make sure all the crud was wiped away in OS X.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By CuriousTommy
      I am trying to get my MacOS (High Serria) virtual machine to communicate with my host (Fedora 27) on an isolated network bridge. The VM runs on a QEMU, and I created an isolated network bridge on Linux using Virt Manager.
        Normally, there are two networks that are connected to the VM, the public network (where the VM can see other local devices and access the network on the internet) and an isolated network (where my guests and host can communicate between each other but can't see anything else).   If I try to access my Mac VM through the public network, it works just fine. However, when I try with the isolated network, it never works. I even tried to make the public network inactive to see if I can force MacOS to use the isolated network, but that didn't help.   I was able to get a Linux/Windows guest VM to communicate between the isolated bridge, but for some reason, I just can't figure out why it is not working on MacOS.   Attached below is a picture of how I configured the Isolated Network on MacOS:
    • By MateusPT
      Hi there.
      Soo i was trying install mac at 4 days ago and finnaly today i can. I installed the Leopard and all works fin except the keyboard and ps2 mouse. And then i try a lot to put a .kext with transmac on windows xp cause im dual booting it.When i try to use Transmac i have the error"This drive is read only".
      Who i fix this?! This is my first question!
      The second i think is more hard. I have a Amilo Pro V3505 with 2gb ram and Intel GMA 945, a Intel Pentium T2130 idk the motherboard i aleardy try find the name but i couldnt with a Atheros ar5007eg wirless adapter.
      So i instal iAtkos S3 v2 but when i was booting(after installing) it he boots and starts make the sound of the animation video of snow leopard but THE SCREEN WAS GREY WITHOUT THE APPLE LOGO AND WITHOUT THE MOUSE JUST A GREY SCREEM.
      Well i try much flags but when i try GraphicsEnabler=No while the booting appears i recuve the message "you need to restart the computer" and i restart and gives again the same error.
      I think is some missing kext graphical but i cant add/remove kexts cause transmac give error!
      Thanks in advanced!
    • By geekingoff
      Hello everyone, this is my first post here.
      I have a pretty old laptop that I'd like to get Snow Leopard running on. At first, I tried booting Nawcom's ModUSB with a retail DVD image, but I would always get kernel panic, no matter what I tried (I couldn't even get to the installer).
      So I decided to try a distro, after trying many different things with ModUSB. I decided to use Hazard's 10.6.1-10.6.2 SSE2/SSE3 Intel/AMD distro. I was shocked when it booted to the installer with no issues! I formatted the HD as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GPT. I then installed Snow Leopard. After a while, the installation succeeded, and I was happy. It went ahead with the restart necessary for the installation, and... kernel panic. The same kernel panic I got before when trying ModUSB. I was really disappointed. 
      I've tried many things:
      boot flags, such as: acpi=off arch=i386 GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0 -f -s -x (and more, including verbose mode of course)
      booting the installer again after successful installation, and then going to System/Library/Extensions on the HD in terminal, then: "chmod 755 *.*" as well as "kextcache -a i386 -m *.*"
      reinstalling with no customize options selected apart from the boot loader (first installation, things such as the legacy kernel and specific kexts were specified)
      and probably some other things that I can't remember right now
      The thing is, if the installer can load with no issues, then Snow Leopard should work fine too, because they're theoretically (don't know for sure) using the same components (kernel, kexts, etc.). If I boot the installer in verbose mode, it gets right past the part where it kernel panics after installation just fine. This makes me think that something is configured differently after it is installed - something that the installer does not have - which is causing the kernel panic and preventing the boot.
      Here are the specs of the laptop I'm trying to install this on:
      Intel Pentium M 753 ULV @ 1.2GHz
      1GB RAM
      855GME Graphics/Chipset
      I know that this probably isn't the most compatible with SL, and I know the chipset/graphics are unsupported. However, I think I will be able to get it to work eventually, I just need some input on what might be going on. Looking at the kernel panic, it points toward AppleACPIPlatform.kext, but I don't know what's exactly wrong with it that is causing the kernel panic.
      Please take a look at the verbose mode image I have attached. I appreciate any and all help I receive!

• By kosakgroove
      Hi fellows! I bring a tutorial about steganography, made by myself, the art of concealing things in plain sight! (text files within pictures or sound files)
      I think this should apply to Mac OS X, there you can use a GUI program called "Steg"
      This tut is for Linux only!

It is a very straightforward process,
      Hope you learn howto do it and put it to good use hahhaha
    • By Newbie Mac
      Ciao a tutti,
      sono felicemente riuscito a installare Lion sul mio Optiplex 330.
      Funziona tutto tranne la scheda audio interna ma non importa perché vorrei installare una USB esterna: una Yamaha AG03.
      Dalle istruzioni questa dovrebbe essere installata su Lion senza driver e riconosciuta subito (http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/mixers/ag/manual/mac/index_en.jsp).
      Su un altro hackintosh sempre con Lion viene riconoscita perfettamente.
      Il sistema la vede, nel System Report, correttamente collegata all'USB ma da Audio Midi Setup mi dice "NO DEVICES FOUND".
      Temo che mi manchi qualche parte software per far riconoscere la scheda esterna.
      Ho installato i VoodooHDA ma mi hanno mandato in crash il sistema quindi li ho rimossi.
      Avete consigli?
      Grazie mille
      Retroman Newbie