Installing OS X 10.8.2 / Windows 8 dual boot on [Asus G51Jx]

nate birkas

13 posts in this topic

This is my first guide/post on this website altogether so if you find anything wrong with my post, please let me know!

(do this at your own risk, I take no responsibility for you messing up your own machine)

How to install Mountain Lion (alongside Windows 8) on an Asus G51Jx

(What you need)

Mountain Lion.app (buy from app store, it's only 19.99!)

8gb+ usb flash drive

mac, hackintosh, or virtual box mac OS (to prepare USB)

Windows 8 install disk

my ZIP with required files [LINK]

MyHack installer [LINK]

STEPS:

1-Install MyHack to USB drive (via Macintosh machine, Hackintosh or actual Mac)

2-Install Mountain Lion & appropriate DSDT.aml/Kexts (included)

3-Install Windows 8

4-Fix boot

STEP 1:

a. On a Mac-based machine (either an actual mac, or a hackintosh PC, or a VirtualBox OS), install MyHack to a USB drive, when asked for mtn lion.app, select it from where it was downloaded. Allow it to prepare the USB.

STEP 2:

restart the computer, boot from usb by pressing [esc] at boot. Press [enter] during countdown and select MyHack USB installer to boot from. In a minute it should boot to Mountain Lion installer. Before anything, press 'English' (or your own language), and select 'tools>disk utility' from the top. Format your hard drive into 2 partitions (size doesn't matter, as long as its 15GB+ per partition) ONE PARTITION must be OS Journaled, the other NTFS. (Mac/Windows)

Proceed to install Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion to the OS Journaled partition. (this will take around 20 minutes depending on HDD/USB speeds)

When it's done, reboot. Boot from the USB again and this time select your new Mtn Lion boot option. It should boot to OS X with no problem. Now you need to install all the necessary components to get it working properly (things like sound, wifi, sleep, hotkeys, etc)

Included are files that should be added to the EXTRA (/Extra) and S/L/E (/System/Library/Extensions) kext directories.

You can add these using the Kext Wizard program. For the DSDT.aml and extensions.mkext, just copy to /Extra.

(to get to /Extra, right-click on finder and press 'Go to folder', type '/Extra', no quotes.)

I would recommend rebooting after every kext, so incase something causes your computer to hang (not boot), you can go and delete it to fix the problem.

//- If your computer doesn't want to boot, remember the name of the last kext you installed, and boot into the OS X INSTALLER usb. Open 'Terminal' from tools, and type this command: 'rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext' (just an example, make sure you have the correct directory/kext)(again, no quotes)

Fingers crossed, all should be well at this point.. My process included having to re-install os x several times due to me being unable to fix boot hangs.

If you experience a boot hang EVEN if you have deleted a kext with issues, try booting with the -f flag. this will ignore kext caches and often let me boot when it wouldn't before.

Once OS X is installed and all components installed, be aware you can install the OS X 10.8.2 update with no issue.

STEP 3:

Pop in that windows 8 disc (after restarting of course, reboot and press [esc] to bring up boot list and pop the disc in)

install Windows 8 as usual, it may tell you the NTFS partition needs formatting, this is fine. just don't touch the first (OS Journaled/HFS+) partition. once it is installed, make sure everything is set up the way you like it.

STEP 4:

boot back into Mac Mtn Lion. This can be done via built in Chameleon or via the Boot USB. once you are booted to OSX, click the Chameleon Wizard included, and use these settings:

-select Dropbox, choose "Boot0hfs", and the proper Target partition, click install. Shouldn't take more than a few seconds.

-click 'org.chameleon.Boot.plist', leave everything stock besides 'Graphics Mode: 1280x800x32'. This isn't required but will fix the aspect ratio problem.. (from 4:3 to the g51jx screen size (more or less :P))

-CHOOSE A THEME! :) I like 'Choose_your_OS @ 1280x720

make sure to apply all settings

Don't forget to boot back to windows and install all your Asus drivers for intel, sound, hotkeys etc!

Well, that's it! All should be working great for you!

again, I've only done this once (mtn lion) and wrote this guide by memory so if any more experienced members find any issues, please let me know.

Hey, nice tutorial :) . I've got a G51j 3D (not the g51jx 3d) and it's the first time I'm able to make an OSX even boot! I used most of the kexts you provided except for voodoo and ps2 kexts (the resolution is perfect by default and both my keyboard and mouse wouldn't work with the ps2 kext's ). Right now I have keyboard backlight and shortcuts working but no ethernet and no wifi. Would you mind giving me a little help? maybe there's a kext I should be deleting (or adding ) to make these work? Thanks in advance.

edit:wouldn't boot with DSDT.aml and extensions.mkext either so had to let them out...

edit2: ok after 3rd reboot the ethernet is working out of nowhere and the device is called Bluetooth PAN xD

edit3:

ok final edit

it boots with voodooHDA but no sound

tried a kext for the intel 1000 wifi to no avail

no battery status

when it goes to sleep it won't wake up again

any help at all will be very appreciated. thanks

Edited by Kradnogarth

Hey, nice tutorial :) . I've got a G51j 3D (not the g51jx 3d) and it's the first time I'm able to make an OSX even boot! I used most of the kexts you provided except for voodoo and ps2 kexts (the resolution is perfect by default and both my keyboard and mouse wouldn't work with the ps2 kext's ). Right now I have keyboard backlight and shortcuts working but no ethernet and no wifi. Would you mind giving me a little help? maybe there's a kext I should be deleting (or adding ) to make these work? Thanks in advance.

edit:wouldn't boot with DSDT.aml and extensions.mkext either so had to let them out...

edit2: ok after 3rd reboot the ethernet is working out of nowhere and the device is called Bluetooth PAN xD

edit3:

ok final edit

it boots with voodooHDA but no sound

tried a kext for the intel 1000 wifi to no avail

no battery status

when it goes to sleep it won't wake up again

any help at all will be very appreciated. thanks

Hey sorry for the delayed reply.

Unfortunately I was never able to get the VoodooBattery kext to work without hanging, but the audio works for me using the VoodooHDA kext, and Wifi works for me with the wireless kext provided (IO80211Family.kext)

I may not have the same wifi card as you, as I think mine is atheros and yours is intel. I haven't had much luck with wake/sleep either, I believe that comes down to the DSDT.aml and I have zero experience editing that file.

Sorry if I am no help, I am just sharing the methods I used to get my g51jx on mountain lion as no other guides exist thus far. Good luck! perhaps someone more experienced can help you

• 1 month later...

hey thanks a million for this post man..I installed mountain lion on my asus G51j differently...but only thing i didn't had was the correct audio kext..I looked far and wide for a working kexts..and finally saw your post and used your voodooHDA kext..I am so happy that it is working flawlessly..thanks a million for that..Now i have everything working perfectly on 10.8.2..Really appreciate it...

• Like 1

hey thanks a million for this post man..I installed mountain lion on my asus G51j differently...but only thing i didn't had was the correct audio kext..I looked far and wide for a working kexts..and finally saw your post and used your voodooHDA kext..I am so happy that it is working flawlessly..thanks a million for that..Now i have everything working perfectly on 10.8.2..Really appreciate it...

No problem, I may be re-installing OS X mtn lion soon, would you be willing to share your kexts? or, the DSDT.aml that you used to get sleep/wake working?

ofcourse i would be willing to share everything...Only thing I have not done is try sleep/wake.....Cause i don't think I really need it to be honest...But the most important other things are working....Only thing I am yet to understand how the DSDT.AML works and how to install it properly.Could you check your inbox..I sent u a message.

• 4 weeks later...

Only thing Nate.Since I have used your kexts for the Realtek Audio have been experiencing a lot of inconsistencies with the booting up of mac osx mountain lion.Have to like do a couple safe modes and verbose boots for it to start...Really wish there was a way to fix this issue..Think i need to buy an external sound card soon.Do u have problems with booting?Maybe I am doing something wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

is anybody knows how to enable full HDMI (video and sound) ? I have installed ML 10.8.2 on my Asus G51Jx, OSX works like a charm with a second D-Sub monitor. But I'm extremly need to use monitor with HDMI input.

Any ideas about DSDT edit or modified kext?

Just a heads up..Since I used your audio kexts been having a lot of problems cold booting.It would always stick on the grey apple screen....No problems between restarts..But once I slap in my mac osx dedicated HD I used to have to use -x and go into safe mode and then restart and hope it goes in..if not would of need to keep trying a couple times..But a couple days ago..I tried booting with -f and all is well now..No matter what once i boot with the -f flag It goes directly in with any hiccups..-f as they say ignores kext cache..Would need to investigate what the kext cache is and what it's tasks..But -f works a miracle when having problems booting....thanks..

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

fully working and compatible kexts and DSDT for Asus G51Jx are here:

http://www.insanelym...-fully-working/

Tested!

Thanks but that's actually the guide that I used to get windows 8 and mountain lion 10.8 installed on here.. Then I wrote this guide.

Some of the files I used are the same ones they used in their guide, unless you have any specific examples that work better than the ones I provided?

• 3 years later...