Updated Atheros AR81(31/32/51/52) Driver for 10.7/10.8

Shailua

56 posts in this topic

Yep, i tested it yesterday.

My hack boots much slower after using this version. Maybe I'll compare it with previous time. Will send feed back.

Thank you for the feedback. The kext routine that tells Mac OS X that the card is enabled will delay for at least two seconds in this latest version until the software detects that the link is up properly. If the link detection in the hardware is being odd, it will pause anywhere up to six seconds, which is probably a bit too conservative. I'll have a look at adjusting it.

Thank you for the feedback. The kext routine that tells Mac OS X that the card is enabled will delay for at least two seconds in this latest version until the software detects that the link is up properly. If the link detection in the hardware is being odd, it will pause anywhere up to six seconds, which is probably a bit too conservative. I'll have a look at adjusting it.

:D you mean if I boot without plugging the cable the hack will pause 6 seconds ?

Hi, Shailua! Thank you for your effort, really. The AtherosL1Ethernet needed indeed a refreshment for Mountain Lion: with Lion it used to work without issues, but since i switched to Mountain Lion (now i'm on 10.8.2), despite the kext still loading and recognizing my hardware, it behaves oddly: in System Preferences, it shows like a ethernet cable is connected, even when it's not, and the connection actually does not work, even when it appears to correctly identify ip and dns servers.

So i gave your latest one a go. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me yet: the kext loads and the hardware is shown at System Information, but the internet does not connect and what's shown in System Preferences is the exact opposite of the older unusable kext: the cable is reported as not connected, even when it is!

Anyway, i'll give the older iterations of your kext a shot and report back here. Once more, thank you, man, for your amazing work.

:D you mean if I boot without plugging the cable the hack will pause 6 seconds ?

hehe, good point. I tend to forget sometimes that some machines don't have their ethernet cable plugged in at boot.

Hi, Shailua! Thank you for your effort, really. The AtherosL1Ethernet needed indeed a refreshment for Mountain Lion: with Lion it used to work without issues, but since i switched to Mountain Lion (now i'm on 10.8.2), despite the kext still loading and recognizing my hardware, it behaves oddly: in System Preferences, it shows like a ethernet cable is connected, even when it's not, and the connection actually does not work, even when it appears to correctly identify ip and dns servers.

So i gave your latest one a go. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me yet: the kext loads and the hardware is shown at System Information, but the internet does not connect and what's shown in System Preferences is the exact opposite of the older unusable kext: the cable is reported as not connected, even when it is!

Thank you for the feedback! In general the process of smoothing out the link status reporting and still keeping everything working such as Bonjour entries in Finder with Wake On Demand has been a bit of a trial-and-error headache process. I've been looking through what I can in the (mostly pre-Intel) sourcecode for Apple's own ethernet drivers and I think I've narrowed down the "right" way of doing things. I'll try to get another bugfix release out ASAP now that I've finished the second ALXEthernet release. Fortunately both drivers share some very similar high-level code so it shouldn't be too difficult.

hehe, good point. I tend to forget sometimes that some machines don't have their ethernet cable plugged in at boot.

Thank you for the feedback! In general the process of smoothing out the link status reporting and still keeping everything working such as Bonjour entries in Finder with Wake On Demand has been a bit of a trial-and-error headache process. I've been looking through what I can in the (mostly pre-Intel) sourcecode for Apple's own ethernet drivers and I think I've narrowed down the "right" way of doing things. I'll try to get another bugfix release out ASAP now that I've finished the second ALXEthernet release. Fortunately both drivers share some very similar high-level code so it shouldn't be too difficult.

:D I will test for AR8152 to see whether the link status works fine or not

Okay, new 1.2.3 version posted. If everything works smoothly enough with it then I'll mostly stick to bug fixes on this driver and focus more on the ALXEthernet driver since it supports the same cards and more. About the only differences I've noticed on my 8151 between the two drivers is that link autonegotiation seems better with AtherosL1cEthernet, but top speeds seem greater with ALXEthernet. The former seems to have trouble breaking over the 100MB/s rate in my very limited testing.

Hi !

Shailua, you're an angel ! Your driver is working flawlessly for me in my Z77X-UD5H after several months of problems (mainly workgroup issues). So now everything is fine !

Thanks for your hard work and cheers from Spain !

Thank you for the kind feedback! If there's one board that should definitely work well with the driver, it's the UD5H. :)

I have to say the 1.2.3 version is working flawlessly for my AR8152 v1.1 . Thank you so much, Shailua.

The link status is without doubt improved. Booting without plugging the cable is just fine.

Once again, thank you so so much.

Hi again !

After using version 1.2.2 for several days I've noticed that your driver doesn't allow my computer to sleep, and also shutting down is sometimes a problem. Screens and hard drives seem to shut down but the fans are still on.

After these problems I disabled the Atheros card from bios and enabled the Intel card. With this change sleep and shut down working again.

If you need any diagnostic information, please ask me. I would love to collaborate in any form.

Thanks in advance !

Hi again !

After using version 1.2.2 for several days I've noticed that your driver doesn't allow my computer to sleep, and also shutting down is sometimes a problem. Screens and hard drives seem to shut down but the fans are still on.

After these problems I disabled the Atheros card from bios and enabled the Intel card. With this change sleep and shut down working again.

If you need any diagnostic information, please ask me. I would love to collaborate in any form.

Thanks in advance !

Hi. I'm not sure why sleep might not be working. Does your motherboard use UEFI or a regular BIOS? If it's a BIOS, there may be a DSDT issue or something related to ACPI. I'm afraid my knowledge of such things is very limited.

You might perhaps try the ALXEthernet driver instead. It's mostly on par with the AtherosL1cEthernet driver aside from some more advanced features I haven't enabled yet. The power management code might be more up to date. Part of the power management for these cards is in the low-level undocumented Atheros MAC/PHY code that is difficult for me to modify blindly. The rest is just PCI and IOKit stuff that should be working fine according to my understanding of the specs and sample code.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this. I have ga-b75m-d3v 1.0. ALXEthernet worked BUT copying to samba shares in virtualbox (linux guest) always results in a hard freeze. Copying to samba shares in OSX is OK. This driver seems to work perfectly, in virtualbox and in the host OSX (mountain lion).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

i've got a GA Z77 DS3H V1.0

with ALXethernet.kext 1.0.2 i've got like emory leaks, so kernel panics if big load or at wake up. - no bonjour issue.

With your driver, no issue like that, but after sleep/wake, the bonjour networking is not working anymore until i reboot the computer or reboot the kext, or i need to apple+K connect command to mount network shares

Does anyone has the same issue and how to fix it ?

Thanks again for any spport on this bonjour issue. I've understood it could be linked to a broadcast issue.

I could debug the code for my mobo, but i don't know where to start :)

Is there any place to find the code for ALXethernet.kext ? I could compare the code with this code 1.2.3 and find if there is any difference when dealing with sleep/wake

Strange :)

i got AtherosL1cEthernet.kext source code v 1.2.3

with xcode, i upgraded the project from SDK 10.7 to 10.8

compile and tadatdatda

bonjour is now working flawless after sleep/wake on Z77 DS3H 1.0

and i've got network speed @ 108MB/s :)

the kext was compiled in debug mode, so ive got debug strings on console, but it doesnt matter at all

autosleep is working

i've tried several times, it seems ok.

Let see over time if its ok, perhaps Bonjour Issues was only an SDK issue

wait and see carefully

Epal

• 3 months later...

Strange :)

i got AtherosL1cEthernet.kext source code v 1.2.3

with xcode, i upgraded the project from SDK 10.7 to 10.8

compile and tadatdatda

bonjour is now working flawless after sleep/wake on Z77 DS3H 1.0

and i've got network speed @ 108MB/s :)

the kext was compiled in debug mode, so ive got debug strings on console, but it doesnt matter at all

autosleep is working

i've tried several times, it seems ok.

Let see over time if its ok, perhaps Bonjour Issues was only an SDK issue

wait and see carefully

Epal

Hi ovof,

could you please post your modified kext?

Thanks ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi, Shailua!

Reporting a very annoying bug: I always get a KP after a few minutes of usage when transferring data from a computer to another, or when downloading large files. The issue happens only with my 1201n, but not with my B75-D3H which has the same built-in ethernet card and uses the same driver. 10.8.4 here, but i tested with every other 10.8 version and also with 10.7.0-5, same results.

All the best!

• 2 weeks later...

I resolve my problem with large transfers removing the ALXEthernet-1.0.2.kext and installing the AtherosL1cEthernet_101010_release.kext from 

http://code.google.com/p/iats/downloads/list

I'm using ML 10.8.5 on Gigabyte motherboard G31M-ES2L

Especial Thanks to Oldnapaml, Artur-pt, Mirone, x-men, XEON3D, iHackintosh and Arabiano

Att. CM 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...