Deciding on a Linux, Mac or OSX86

PepeLapiu

11 posts in this topic

OK, I've always built my own machines to my custom preferences and let's face it, I love doing it instead of just buying a ready made out of the box run of the mill machine.

But I've always used Windows, never strayed from it until now.

With my new found hatred of Bill Gates's craporama of viruses, crashes, security alerts and privacy issues, I decided to get a new operating system.

Linux: I don't like that it's so limited applications wise but I like that it is open source (the only way to evolution)

Mac: A mac would require that I buy a ready made machine and I simply refuse to do that ... call me weird.

OSX86: It would allow me to get a Mac operating system while still building my own machine. However, I just hear so much problems about so many people who tried it and failed with unstability, crashes and numerous components that just don't work. As I would like to graduate to dual core processor, I don't think there are any dual core processors that can fit OSX86 .... am I wrong here?

Also, does the OSX86 run as good as the original one? Some have told me it's just a poor attempt at cloning Mac's OS X .... your comments please.

Should I espect lesser performance with OSX86 than with it's legit brother?

Thanx for your help in advance.

My opinion .... a debian flavour of Linux

Personally, I would love to buy a mac .... but I already am tired of aqua and the dock and all the windows shadow! I love the mac as a machine, and a Macbook will be probably my next laptop, but I find Linux (Gnome especially) so ... productive. I work best in Gnome, and when Ubuntu will be fully supported on macs ....

As I have written a post some time ago, about the "perfect system" ... it would be a linux in a virtual machine on a mac (with mac os). Let mac os x in charge of media stuff (movies, pics, ...), and use linux for pretty much anything else ....

I guess that better application support would make linux the best :(

OSX86: It would allow me to get a Mac operating system while still building my own machine. However, I just hear so much problems about so many people who tried it and failed with unstability, crashes and numerous components that just don't work. As I would like to graduate to dual core processor, I don't think there are any dual core processors that can fit OSX86 .... am I wrong here?

Dual Core processors are what all the current real Macs are right now...so you'd be fine with a core duo, core 2 duo, etc.

OK, I understand that I would have to be careful about which video card/processor/mobo/sound card I pick but what about things like PCI tuners ...... will I be able to install and tuner I want? If not, is there a list of compatible tuners?

On a Mac list, a couple of users have told me they would recomend Mac for laptops any day but they don't recommend Mac destops ..... how do you feel about that?

linux!!!

i tryed all and linux is my favorite

it is not true that application are limited, i know some great apps of every kind. Some really friedly user (nvu, digikam, gimp, kino and other) and some pro too (cinelerra, jahshaka, ardour and many other)

"Linux: I don't like that it's so limited applications wise but I like that it is open source (the only way to evolution)"

Well, that isn't really true. Debian + extra repos has more than 20,000 apps. Plus a few apps run on every distro. Besides with Wine and Crossover the number of Windows apps you can run keeps increasing all the time.

"OSX86: It would allow me to get a Mac operating system while still building my own machine. However, I just hear so much problems about so many people who tried it and failed with unstability, crashes and numerous components that just don't work. As I would like to graduate to dual core processor, I don't think there are any dual core processors that can fit OSX86 .... am I wrong here?"

My hackintosh runs OS X absolutely fine. I have a Pentium D 950. I built it following this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=7393

Concluding? A dual booting hackintosh.

Go for linux. My favorite flavour is Slackware, been waiting for ages for Patrick to sort Slack 11 out, should be any day now....

Rock solid, pity he went with KDE (I'm a Gnome man), but dropline is awesome, once 11 is out I just need to sort out xgl (ran it on ubuntu - fantastic).

Bought an ATI for osx, you'd prob want a NVidia for decent linux (though ati have pulled their finger out recently, might be ok)

Well, I finally decided ...... (drum roll)

I'll install all freakin' three of them. I don't want windoze, I hate MS with a passion so I'll try to ween myself off of windoze slowly and decide on which system I prefer: Linux or OSx86.

But my guess is I'll be keeping both of them and I'll flush my anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-freeze/anti-crash/reformat down the toilet for good.

Up yours, Bill Gates! Muuhuhu-aa-aaaaah! (evil grin)

Look ma' .... no anti-virus!

One thing for sure is I can't get rid of OSx for sure, the gurl-friend is an IncrediMail freak. That's the only app she uses, If I try to take that away from her, she'll Wayne Bobbit me in a second.

I think Email Effects is Mac app ressenbling IncrediMail, right?

Is there a similar app on Linux that can be compared to IncrediMail?