vtd[0] fault after 10.8.2 - google hasn't heard of it, any help?

rockinron_1

35 posts in this topic

First I've already attempted to change VT-d into VT-x in the BIOS but the only problem is that that is not an option in my BIOS.

Every solution above was no dice for me. I tried using the following bootflags in my Boot.plist:

<key>DropDMAR</key>

<string>Yes</string>

then I used:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v dart=0</string>

and then I used a previous version of AppleAPCIPlatform from Lion which didnt change anything. I thought my issue may have been somewhat related to the members who were receiving the vtd[0] fault error.

The error I receive happens to be:

/drv/ Hyploctls.c:779 loctl VT-d status:0

Has anybody got a fix to this? Thanks

Disabling vt-d in bios didn't work on my iHack. Only after adding dart=0 I was able to boot in to 10.8.3. just to find out that it rendered VMWare Fusion useless.

So for those who want to use virtual machines this isn't a good fix but to all others it may be a good temporary solution instead of rolling back AppleACPIPlatform.kext to 10.8.1

I just tested VirtualBox, and it is working fine on my hackintosh that was booted with dart=0. I believe this is because virtualbox isn't trying to do pci hardware virtualization (vt-d) on osx hosts. When using a linux host on a system that can disable vt-d, virtualbox fails to start if I have vt-d disabled in bios, and works otherwise. Virtualbox supports vt-d for linux hosts.

So I disagree, and further I wouldn't recommend rolling back a kext as a medium term solution; I'd recommend going with virtualbox instead or using a patch like dukzry's on the 10.8.3 code so that you're running the right version of the kext.

The error I receive happens to be:

Has anybody got a fix to this? Thanks

From your blurry screenshot, it looks like your error is about HypIoctls.c not Hyploctls.c (would explain why you're having trouble searching on it).

I don't believe that error comes from any of the stock osx drivers, looks like you're getting it from parallels.

Seems like a bunch of non hackintosh parallels users have the same error. Perhaps you need to update to a newer version of parallels?

From your blurry screenshot, it looks like your error is about HypIoctls.c not Hyploctls.c (would explain why you're having trouble searching on it).

I don't believe that error comes from any of the stock osx drivers, looks like you're getting it from parallels.

Seems like a bunch of non hackintosh parallels users have the same error. Perhaps you need to update to a newer version of parallels?

But I'm using Parallels Desktop 7.0.15098. Now I know it's not that old, is it?

But I'm using Parallels Desktop 7.0.15098. Now I know it's not that old, is it?

11 months. Mountain lion support wasn't official until version 15104 according to the release notes.

You could start troubleshooting by moving your parallels kexts out of /S/L/E and see if your hang still occurs.

11 months. Mountain lion support wasn't official until version 15104 according to the release notes.

You could start troubleshooting by moving your parallels kexts out of /S/L/E and see if your hang still occurs.

I see what you're saying but only my problem is relating to Lion, 10.7.4

I see what you're saying but only my problem is relating to Lion, 10.7.4

Pretty off topic then as this thread is about 10.8.2+ vt-d changes.

I'd still recommend troubleshooting as above.

Pretty off topic then as this thread is about 10.8.2+ vt-d changes.

I'd still recommend troubleshooting as above.

Yeah, true, I figured that much but I have had no luck finding a solution. What I was initially trying to accomplish at first before that error happened was use my GTX 680 on my Lion partition and there are no official drivers available for Lion that have been able to work to my benefit. I was suggested to try out these drivers here and its been an off and on troubleshooting cycle from there.

Here is my original thread where I addressed this issue: here

I just figured out that the problem has nothing to do with Virtualization at all hence the above error:

I removed the NVIDIA drivers from the MacBookProMid2012SoftwareUpd1.0 pkg that I linked above and reinstalled the default 10.7.4 NVIDIA drivers (and repaired permissions). I was able to successfully access my Lion partition and uninstall Parallels. Restarted the system and accessed the Lion drive again. I reinstalled the NVIDIA drivers from the MacBookProMid2012SoftwareUpd1.0 pkg and repaired permissions. When I restarted the system and I am now stuck on:

macx_swapon SUCCESS

So I guess I'm making some progress...

• 2 weeks later...

one can simply configure the kernel boot argument: dart=0 to avoid the DMAR processing.

Perhaps it'll catch on like my npci=0x2000 workaround did :)

Thanks again for finding and posting solutions/workarounds bcc9.

I know it was eight months ago you posted it, but it finally caught on here.!

Regards