Quicktime 7 - Very Sluggish Video

xkelly

9 posts in this topic

Looking for some input on Quicktime playback problem:

Basic Specs:

Jas 10.4.6 on a Pentium M770 (2.1GHz) notebook, 2GB DDR2 533, ATI Mobility x600 with Callisto_b003 fixed and Koverg's latest. Profiler reads graphics as PCIe with 64MB and supported CI/QE. Have some mouse tearing.

Using Quicktime 7.1.3. No audio (SSE2 problem I'll try to fix later with a downgrade 7.1.2), but the video playback is very slow and stuttered. Frame rates vary down to below 5 FPS.

Anyone else having this problem? Is there a way to resolve?

Thanks.

not me.

Thanks dude this really contributes to discussion.

I'm having the same issue. I think there was a thread on it. I tried downgrading but after that, Finder refused to open. Like the rest of the computer would start up except Finder. I ended up fixing it by updating QT through System Update.

I can nearly never play / view a movie with QuickTime

and don't understand why Apple is so fond about QuickTime

..maybe because you didn't get the necessary codecs for it? I can view pretty much any video on QT7 myself. You know, DIVX and Flip4Mac WMV and AC3 and stuff. Note that it's not Apple just being 'fond' of QT. QT is the very foundation of multimedia playback on Mac platform. It's like how Windows Media is to Windows. QT for Windows is just a shadow of what QT is for OS X - it's just meant to support QT-specific files.

• 4 months later...

I have essentially the same problem, but on a G4. Quicktime Player has gone downhill since around v.4. Great technology, but its old now, and Apple has let it go downhill.

Try another player. MplayerOSX is ok if a bit hacky. videolan.org has VLC, a polished player. Otherwise, I don't know how to fix the quicktime problem.

Edited by frizbot

i am having the same problem, and not only with Quick Time. VLC crashes, MPlayer OSX show only slide shows, DivX Player runs the movies with about 5fps, and Quick Time plays the movies just fine, as long as i don't use Double sized videos, or fullscreen(in which case the fps drops to 5-10, and the image quality is very poor.

Edited by manw