Chance of Macs being cheaper?

7 posts in this topic

I was always told, when I asked why Macs were so expensive, that it was because you could never catch a virus. Now that viruses are being created for Macs, do you think the prices will go down a good bit? Or do you think they will stay the same?

Well, the price varies from country to country. In romania a stock New MBP 15" with GT650M costs roughly 35-40% more than in America. I also think that the price of their Mac line is not because of their OS but more because "We're apple, hip and cool with nifty patents for stuff we will not make until someone develops the technology" this part here can count for up to 20% of their value.

• Like 1

Macs have never been cheaper. Yes, there are cheaper PCs but even if they have equal or better specs on paper, there's a lot of corners cut to keep the price down.

Plus, OS X is now 10% the price it was a few years ago.

This "Macs are expensive" argument doesn't carry the same weight anymore.

Mac is not expensive because of their safety by viruses. it has always been so because of the hardware optimized on the system, the stability of mac os, the design carefully thought, the support given, the possibility to use it without incurring in crashes (blue screen.........), the optimized use of the hardware (even if not so advanced, it has best performance), and so on.

SO, until mac has these attributes, the price will not go down. i think it this way : )

Same goes for the other apple devices

It is not going to happen. Unless Apple decides to become a low budged brand (I can't imagine this to happen any time soon). Apple is a premium brand (by design) in most markets, hence the extra to the price. You pay for the brand (what it has with it) - not for the hardware/software it has inside.