Plexiglass Front Fan Mounts for G5 Cases

topsub

7 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

So i have talked to a CNC shop about working with me to help me make a mount system. I ordered an 8 inch wide x 14 inch piece that should spam from bottom to top just below the CD drive. I also ordered some plastic right angles that should mount the piece to the case.

I am going to look at either cutting out 2x120mm or 2x140mm fan holes. I will take pictures once i get this in and make some templates.

Looking for thoughts or feedback.

I mounted two 140mm fans to the front of my G5 mod with some 3M double sided adhesive tape. I think this is the stuff I used (my work had some that I "borrowed" a length of). Just a bit on each corner of a fan stuck it nice and tight to the front of the case, and as it's about 1mm thick it dampens any noise/vibration too. I'll take a pic later.

• 2 weeks later...

It's certainly feasible to make and use a plexi mount for front fans in the G5.

Here are some links to pictures of a fan mount system that I laser cut for a customer for the G5 recently mounting a pair of 140mm fans, the G5 speaker and a circuit board:

post-255812-0-67011700-1345317398_thumb.jpg

post-255812-0-10466300-1345317415_thumb.jpg

post-255812-0-48749200-1345317435_thumb.jpg

If you are interested in laser cutting something similar then let me know by emailing me at info@thelaserhive.com - prices for this sort of thing can work out at around £20 plus £5 postage for UK / $30 plus $10 to US/Canada.

Feel free to visit my website www.thelaserhive.com which has a number of G4/ G5 products available now and in the pipeline.

The great thing about the design above is it doesn't require any mounting at all as it fits perfectly between the original standoffs and a row of bolts on the bottom of the case

In case you were wondering, it's all connected up to a SATA power connector and the chime is played whenever the power is cycled

minihack/thelaserhive has been very helpful all the way through and I can thoroughly recommend his services