ATI HD 6870 Twin Frozr II 1Gb + Mountain Lion Not working Help!

9 posts in this topic

I have the ATI HD 6870 Twin Frozr II 1Gb version and it doesn't work.

I installed ML using Tonymac86's ###### / ######. I can only boot into Mountain Lion 10.8 if I set GraphicsEnabler=No

I tried the procedure of removing and reinstalling the ATI6000 files, still no luck. I even tried deleting all of the ATI kext files and replacing them with the Lion 10.7.4 versions. Still no luck. I can only boot if GE=No.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mike R

BTW, this card worked fully in Lion 10.7.4. As a matter of fact I have 2x ATI HD 6870's installed with the X-Fire bridge and Lion would boot no problem. Of course there is no ATI X-Fire support in Mac OS X, but the OS system profiler could identify both cards and both worked 100% I have no idea why these won't work in Mountain Lion.

i5 2500k

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (F9 BIOS)

16Gb RAM

MSI HD 6870 Twin Frozr II (1Gb)

I have the custom DSDT for my motherboard and still no luck with the video card.

Solved all my 6870 problems by reinstalling without removing any kexts using a SATA HD instead of a USB dongle, then, when you get stuck at the white screen with the mouse cursor, just press the power button to put the computer to sleep, and wake it back up. after that the apple installation screen magically pops up.

it even works with dual monitor!

after installation, if you get any app errors, like: mail, calendar, etc. Just instal the essentials.PKG from the main Mountain Lion .DMG

For dualmonitor and to get your card identified correctly by ML (6870 instead of 6xxx) just go here: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=279100

download the edited 6000 kext for 10.8 final release and install it

Don´t forget to thank TH3L4UGH1NGM4N for the excellent work !

use these lines in org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Gibba</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

* the # of AtiPorts depends on the type of card you have, (it can also be 5 if you have 5 connections instead of 4)

• Like 1

Try booting with an AtiConfig flag, that solved the whitescreen problem for me both on install

and on subsequent boot, without removing the ATI600 Kext or replacing it:

AtiConfig=6870 (this work for me on Displayport, I also have hdmi out and 2x DVI on Sapphire hd 6870 1 gig).

Previously I tried AtiConfig=Duckweed and this worked on my hdmi port only, whitescreen prob if I then connected via DP.

I didn't use GraphicsEnabler = Yes

I booted with flags -v -x AtiConfig=Duckweed and nothing else

Nothing else was needed. I had also tried removing the kext and that will you get through the install

but if you afterwards reinstall it, repair permissions etc. you will get the white screen again.

More info on the AtiConfig options you can try here (a bit further down the thread):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=275546

FIXED IT!!! Woot!

I ended up using custom kext files for a Sapphire HD 6850 that fixed all my issues. This file was created by the user macosx1073 over at the OSX86.net forum.

http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2908

I can tell you 100% that your Sapphire HD 6850 kext files works for the MSI HD 6870 Twin Frozr II 1Gb model. I even have both video cards (2x 6870's) running with the X-Fire bridge cable connected and they are both recognized by Mountain Lion 10.8. All of the DVI and HDMI ports work on both cards. (of course ATI X-Fire isn't supported in Mac OS) I don't have anything to connect to the mini Display port so I can't test it.

Thanks very much. After 40hrs of work and multiple re-installs of Mountain Lion I am up and running. Everything but sleep works so far. I will work on that problem later. Sleep = Kernel Panic so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Solved all my 6870 problems by reinstalling without removing any kexts using a SATA HD instead of a USB dongle, then, when you get stuck at the white screen with the mouse cursor, just press the power button to put the computer to sleep, and wake it back up. after that the apple installation screen magically pops up.

it even works with dual monitor!

after installation, if you get any app errors, like: mail, calendar, etc. Just instal the essentials.PKG from the main Mountain Lion .DMG

For dualmonitor and to get your card identified correctly by ML (6870 instead of 6xxx) just go here: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=279100

download the edited 6000 kext for 10.8 final release and install it

Don´t forget to thank TH3L4UGH1NGM4N for the excellent work !

use these lines in org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Gibba</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

* the # of AtiPorts depends on the type of card you have, (it can also be 5 if you have 5 connections instead of 4)

Wow the sleep trick to get past the white screen was brilliant! However, sleep needs to be able to work, so no nullcpupowermanagement.kext for even the installer, which is fine for my setup!