need a little help buliding gaming/mac PC

Driftking101

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys i want to build a gaming computer that supports Mac lion OSX i want to duel boot windows 7 and mac lion and windows 7 for gaming and Mac lion for every day stuff i have around £800 to spend and i use www.ebuyer.com for buying computer stuff i used it before im a computer engineer and i fix computers for a living but i don’t know what parts are compatible with Mac OSX so heres list need to know if its compatible

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz

Mother Board: Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77 Or Asus P8Z77-V Socket 1155 VGA Or Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 Z68 Socket 1155 Z

Ram: Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 OR Graphics Card G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz

Graphics Card: Sapphire HD 7850 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Or

MSI GTX 670 OC Edition 2GB GDDR5 Dual Or GTX 560 2GB DVI HDMI PCI-E

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA (Added case 1tb was too high)

What Will My Best Options Be Out Of These Specs That Will Work For Mac Lion

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
New, identical topic deleted. Please stick to one thread.

Hi mate, the motherboard choices you have are all pretty good as a lot of Hackintosh users are using a variety of p67, Z68 & Z77 chipsets. As far as RAM you can use any type of ram as long as it's compatible with your motherboard. Where you have to be really careful is the Graphics Card as a lot of the high-end card do not have native support in OS X. I personally use an AMD 6850 1GB & it works perfectly with full graphics acceleration. You can also check the OSX86 wiki to find out which cards have been tried & tested. With £800, I'd also get an SSD each for windows & OS X. I always use separate drives for each OS. Checkout the system specs I'm using below which I also purchased mostly from ebuyer.com!

Good Luck

Seconded.

Mobo's look fine but as mentioned above be weary when choosing graphics cards.

A good read of the wiki to see what is supported is always a good idea:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.8_Seeds#Graphics_Cards

Although I'm a die-hard ATi Sapphire man I would have to suggest going for a GTX560 if you want ease of use and easy set-up with OS X. The HD6xxx series has some (fixable) issues with ML and AFAIK the HD7xxx series isn't supported by OS X yet.

Massive +1 for the SSD idea, incredible performance boost for what they cost.

And as above check sig for an example system.

Another good constructive criticism. Although (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe the overclocking issue is if you go over 4.2Ghz which is the highest clock speed OS X supports. The 2500k can go substantially higher than claimed (3.3GHz off the top of my head) clock speed and edge towards the 4.2GHz limit so if you wish to over-clock then its a good choice. (If not it's still a good choice but you might as well save a few dollars and buy the non-k version)

If its running at stock, then why not buy the cheaper non "k" version?

lol, your replying to your own post? Your absolutely correct, but no mention from OP about NOT overclocking or running at stock speeds. As mentioned no problems overclocking OSX at least to 4.2ghz, I think going higher is doable with speed step disabled. Personally I'd need a new CPU or at least a D0 version to even test going higher than that. So for a gaming rig, push that sucker to 4.2ghz in OSX, if wanted set up a 2nd O.C profile for use while gaming in windows, but 4.2 should be pretty good there too. Not to mention people often don't "plan" to overclock on a new build, It usually happens after having it for a little while and getting used to speeds so they don't seem as fast anymore. Nice to have that ability if/when the time comes you do want to eek a bit more from your system.

+2 on the SSD, performance vs. cost, it's the best performance boost you can get for your money.