Notes for ML installation

5 posts in this topic

This topic is intended for sharing my own experience + some notes about the new OSX maybe it would help someone else.

>i Tried 2 ways to install the ML as most of the others are to messy to follow ,again this is based on Personal Experience.

MY CONFIG:

asus p5q deluxe

e8400 3.0 ghz oc

ati sapphire 4870 1gb

4gb ram 800 mhz oc

-GUID Disk to the OperationsSys

1st.Myhack

1-prepare ur usb with myhack

2-install the ML

>when asked (use generic kext)

3-u wont face any problems ,its a pretty straight forward

>when you are done and on the desktop > drag ur drivers to E/E and use my fix (dont install anything in S/L/E)

4-to install the chameleon u will need to log in to ur pre-installed SnowLeo/Lion and install the chameleon from myhack to the MLion driver (anyother way than that doesnt work).

5-now restart and log back in to SnowLeo/Lion and repair kext cashes ,as somehow the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector stopped working.

6-copy any boot theme you like to Extra/Themes on MLion driver and add

(<key>Theme</key>

<string>Empire Efi</string> ) to the boot.plist

6-no need for the smbios unless u faced any probs regarding ur specs. (i didnt need it)

Pros

*its simple, easy ,it does everything for you.

Cons

*like most of the installers , it does lots of things which u cant trace so u be able to learn , fix ur problems later without waiting for someone to teach you how.

*u only can install the driver kexts to E/E (S/L/E wont work)

2nd.The Manual Methode

1-open ML disc

2-show hidden files

3-open diskutil

4-chose ur USB and click on the Restore tab and drag the usb driver to the Destination box then Drag BaseSystem.dmg to the Source box. < wait till it finish

5-open ur ML disc and copy the Packages folder > go to (sys / installation) on ur USB and replace the Packages shortcut with the folder u just copied.

>go back again to ur ML disc and copy (mach_kernel) to the usb root.

6-Run chameleon > chose ur usb as the installation destination > click on customize > chose whatever suites ur needs (i left everything to its default + GraphicEnabler=yes & Smbios & Theme)

7-copy all ur kexts (Lan / Audio / IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector / Fakesmc / NullCpuManagement / KeyBoard & Mouse) to ur usb E/E

> now drag the Extension folder over KextUtil to fix the permissions (u have to do this or the installer wont read them)

8-copy chameleon to ur usb root also.

9-when u r done with everything and u r on ur desktop (btw u dont need to use any flags unless something happened ofcourse) open ur usb and install chameleon to ur MLion driver (select everything as u did with ur usb)

10-copy ur Kexts to the E/E on ur MLion driver then use KextUtil to fix the permissions (if u wanted to install the kexts to S/L/E ,sometimes it will work and sometimes it wont but in E/E will definitely work everytime)

>the latest kextutil doesn't work that perfect with the GM version yet ,so pay attention as sometimes when u try to install to S/L/E some kexts wont get installed.

Pros

*with this method u get to create ur installer by ur own and trust me this will help u much more than u think ,specially that hackintosh is all about experimenting.

Cons

*not as simple as the installer ,lots could go wrong if u don't know what u r doing.

\\\ Conclusion:

even that i tried both ways i faced a couple of problems with them ,mostly are a drivers problem (in both ways i used the kexts that worked on SL&Lion b4 without any probs)

>with MyHack: the driver installs nicely and work right a way but after first restart they don't work anymore.

>with Manual: installed the drivers and they are visible in the system profiler but oddly they don't work.

(the fix is getting an updated kexts for ML as some of the Lion kexts wont work :( )

\\\Here are the Tools You Will Need (Drivers not Included) it have

*show hidden files

*kextUtil 2.5.1

*FakeSmc & NullCpuManagement & IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector (u can use the new Fakesmc 4.2 btw ,it wont effect anything in the process)

*Chameleon_2.1svn_r1820_trunk_10.8 (Newer Revs didnt work ,but this one works perfectly)

Tools.zip

FakeSMC for ML?

Can't get sleep to work on ML install (fans keep spinning, screen standby,…) but sleep works on my Lion install without FakeSMC,DSDT or nullcpu...

Thanks

the thing is ,without fakesmc u cant install the os (not only ML ,any mac os) and the nullcpu is for proper identification of the cpu u r using.

for using the sleep ,u need to get proper kext or proper dsdt and most of times it wont work 100% everytime ,sometime it will hang on the gray loading circle.

one mroe thing ,try to install any os (SL/Lion/ML) without fakesmc and see what u will get ,or try to install everything and don't include the fakesmc in ur system (it simply wont work).

fakesmc is made to counter the kext call (don't steal mac osx) ,without the fakesmc this kext will kick and u wont be able to use/install the mac osx.

the thing is ,without fakesmc u cant install the os (not only ML ,any mac os) and the nullcpu is for proper identification of the cpu u r using.

for using the sleep ,u need to get proper kext or proper dsdt and most of times it wont work 100% everytime ,sometime it will hang on the gray loading circle.

one mroe thing ,try to install any os (SL/Lion/ML) without fakesmc and see what u will get ,or try to install everything and don't include the fakesmc in ur system (it simply wont work).

fakesmc is made to counter the kext call (don't steal mac osx) ,without the fakesmc this kext will kick and u wont be able to use/install the mac osx.

OMG haha, sorry, I need a break, I thought it said SleepEnabler

Of course FakeSMC is required. I'm so working on getting sleep to work that I magically misread lol!

Thanks anyway lad, I need a big break ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Aufa,

I'm currently following your installation note on ML (Excellent Works and Appreciated ^^], as our mainboard are the same, which is "Asus P5Q Deluxe", thus, can you send me the modded bios rev2301 or pointing out which web site I can d/l from ?

Many Thanks,

Dino

sure ,in the package are 2 bios files both works just fine but i cant remember which one i currently use ,try them both and see whats works best for u

http://cl.ly/430s092I2o17 ( I've attached the bios.zip in this post )

Hi Aufa,

Thank you very much your help. Will patch my BIOS later.

Am tried your 2nd method to prepare the USB, it can boot, however, it stopped at the rotating / sign during post screen. Is there any trick on that ?

Many Thanks,

Dino

it could be because of couple of things as i've noticed

1st-its because of the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector kext ,so delete it for now and install it later.

2nd-it could be because of ur vga card kext ,u can delete the graphicsenabler string from the boot.plist and if it didn't work ,delete the vga kext from E/E from ur usb and try again (don't forget to rebuild the cash on every time u modify the extras folder).

bios.zip