File icons stuck on Lion desktop?

seekdestroy16

7 posts in this topic

Yes, just what it says. I am usually browsing files in my Finder within different windows, sometimes dragging files onto the desktop, or not, and the icons decide to stick onto the desktop and I can't click on them or do anything. Is there a fix for this?. One scenario was, when I was dragging some files onto the desktop once, and they weren't aligned perfectly but overlapped, i was trying to drag them all into another folder within another hard drive which is NTFS and I actually enabled read/write with Tuxera NTFS, but before I could drag the files into the NTFS folder from the desktop the files stuck onto the desktop and I couldn't do anything with them!. Rebooting fixed the problem, but the problem is ongoing no matter what. I am running 10.7.2 & thanks in advance for any suggestions!.

Not a true fix based on the wackyness you describe, but instead of rebooting you can open terminal (always kept in my dock) and type:

killall Finder

which should clear up any bugs. Also right click on desktop and click "show view options" then at the bottom of the option window change "sort by" to whatever you prefer, I like to sort by kind so my hard drives and stuff are always in the same place. This will keep everyting in a grid pattern instead of all over the place

Another thing you can do is clean caches and stuff with this:

http://www.northerns...checleaner.html

Flushing caches as well as forcing a run of the standard maintenance tasks can sometimes help with weird Finder behavior.

In the small main window, go to the last tab, select all the cleaning options, start it and wait. If it appears to be doing nothing, just leave it to itself and go do something else. Eventually it will ask you to restart.

There are other similar and better known utilities around but I prefer this one.

This is a screenshot of what happens.

http://i696.photobuc...censored}ed.jpg

This is what Terminal does when I type in: killall finder:

http://i696.photobuc...sored}ed2-1.jpg

Hope that gives a more clear explanation, thanks for the tips so far regardless. Anyone else experience this?. P.S. I tried directly displaying the images through the control panel but they did not show up saying "this image cannot be displayed".... damn technology.

your photo link was no good, but you have to have the capitol "F" in Finder. so it must be written exactly as I posted, Terminal is always picky on those small details

your photo link was no good, but you have to have the capitol "F" in Finder. so it must be written exactly as I posted, Terminal is always picky on those small details

I am guessing that it's the same thing as going Command + Option + Esc, since that gave me the option to relaunch the finder, and it solved the problem, thanks man, your answer led to me figuring it out that way, regardless. Why the bug exists is a mystery for now.

similar yes and there are a few other ways too, but whatever works for YOU is always the best way! Terminal tends to get things done when other methods are non-responsive, but your not getting a complete lock up, just some streaking. Not to mention I have a personal affection for the command line, where I once hated it, but the more I use it the more I prefer it, but that's my way. Great thing about OSX is there's multiple ways to do just about everything, but of course everyone always thinks their way is the right way :). Glad you got a workaround going :)