Mountain Lion DP4 installer restarts/resets computer

6 posts in this topic

So after install lion with pretty much everything working I wanted to see just how far I can push my luck... I'm trying to install ML DP4. Usings the exact same boot args as for Lion (USBBusFix=Yes PciRoot=1) the ML installer just reboots instantly after loading all the kexts. So far I have tried loads of boot args and I have also updated the bootloader chameleon 2.1 r2001 instead of chimera 1.8.0 r1394 which is the bootloader from MyHack 3.1. The reboot is very similar to a reboot experienced on for example a netbook without a special kernel. It just pretty much instantly restarts. I could not find anything about this issue. So it's not looking to hopeful I don't think :S :)

Well, not much to go one here so just a couple things to check that come to mind at the moment. Check that correct version of mach_kernel was copied to your installer and do not use kernel cache until you have booted into installed version allowing system to rebuild the cache correctly based on your hardware. To have cache skipped at boot you can use -f foot flag.

Try delete these files from the installer's root:

.disklabel

boot.efi

kernelcache

I deleted these when I removed the mach_kernel entry from the plist. I thought I fixed my problem with the plist modification, but maybe these files were the problem.

And make sure you don't have the UseKernelCache=Yes entry in your boot plist.

Of those files, kernel cache is the only one to worry about removing, I never copy the kernel cache to any installers, although booting using -f flag also skips using kernel cache and should do the same as the above edits to boot.plist and removal for kernel cache without need to modify anything. Boot using -f either way since you don't want it to try loading the cache, deleted or not. If you were booting Lion in 32bit you cannot in Lion so remove arch=i386 if present in boot plist and try booting in safe mode for now, so boot flags would be: -x -v -f npci=0x3000 USBBusFix=Yes PciRootID=1 arch=x86_64