Problem with ga-ex58-ud5 (very low results from geekbench, + other problems)

The K man

45 posts in this topic

What process do you follow to update your BIOS?

F13w is stable, I have never had a panic or un-scheduled restart whilst using it.

Could you re-start using -v and post your kernel.log

I am using Q-Flash for updating my bios using a USB stick fromatted in Fat32.. After that i Load optimized defaults.. then another reboot changing the necessary things to be bootable with OSX .. such as AHCI etc..

Ok i am going to post my kernel.log in couple of minutes

This is strange.

Could you upen terminal and run:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext -z /System/Library/Extensions/

Then open disk utility and repair the disk permissions.

Then reboot and see if that makes any difference.

IntelCPUPowerManagement is loaded and turbo ratios are 1112 so powermanagement is working...maybe it's not throttling.

Download and open CPU-X and see if your system multiplier flicks between 12 and 21 (only shows lowest and highest multiplier).

CPU-x figures are not 100% accurate for i7, mine looks just like yours other than the bus and core speed due to overclock including 16 threads, it does not show the correct multiplier or show dynamic changes. CPU-z under windows will show full range of p-states in real time. HWMonitor in osx (available here in updates and releases section) will show changes in real time between low and high mult and speed

HWmonitor it doesn't seem to work... I did install it manually and automatic but when i am using running it... the icon will show up for 1 second in the taskbar and the disappear... the files and ports that open are the following:

/
/Applications/HWMonitor.app/Contents/MacOS/HWMonitor
/System/Library/Extensions/SMARTLib.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SMARTLib
/System/Library/Fonts/LucidaGrande.ttc
/usr/share/icu/icudt46l.dat
/System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle/Contents/Resources/AppleKeyboardLayouts-L.dat
/private/var/folders/gw/6wjjnj2j26z8t4rm3kk_f_wh0000gp/C/com.apple.LaunchServices-034502.csstore
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc
/usr/lib/dyld
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_x86_64
/dev/null
->0xffffff800cbc70d0
->0xffffff800cbc70d0
count=1, state=0x2
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc

I used sysclt in terminal and here is the information for my cpu :

machdep.cpu.max_basic: 11
machdep.cpu.max_ext: 2147483656
machdep.cpu.vendor: GenuineIntel
machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU		 920  @ 2.67GHz
machdep.cpu.family: 6
machdep.cpu.model: 26
machdep.cpu.extmodel: 1
machdep.cpu.extfamily: 0
machdep.cpu.stepping: 4
machdep.cpu.feature_bits: 3219913727 10019773
machdep.cpu.extfeature_bits: 672139520 1
machdep.cpu.signature: 67236
machdep.cpu.brand: 0
machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM PBE SSE3 DTES64 MON DSCPL VMX EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM SSE4.1 SSE4.2 POPCNT
machdep.cpu.extfeatures: SYSCALL XD EM64T LAHF RDTSCP TSCI
machdep.cpu.logical_per_package: 16
machdep.cpu.cores_per_package: 8
machdep.cpu.microcode_version: 10
machdep.cpu.processor_flag: 1
machdep.cpu.mwait.linesize_min: 64
machdep.cpu.mwait.linesize_max: 64
machdep.cpu.mwait.extensions: 3
machdep.cpu.mwait.sub_Cstates: 4384
machdep.cpu.thermal.sensor: 1
machdep.cpu.thermal.dynamic_acceleration: 1
machdep.cpu.thermal.invariant_APIC_timer: 0
machdep.cpu.thermal.thresholds: 2
machdep.cpu.thermal.ACNT_MCNT: 1
machdep.cpu.thermal.core_power_limits: 0
machdep.cpu.thermal.fine_grain_clock_mod: 0
machdep.cpu.thermal.package_thermal_intr: 0
machdep.cpu.thermal.hardware_feedback: 0
machdep.cpu.thermal.energy_policy: 0
machdep.cpu.arch_perf.version: 3
machdep.cpu.arch_perf.number: 4
machdep.cpu.arch_perf.width: 48
machdep.cpu.arch_perf.events_number: 7
machdep.cpu.arch_perf.events: 64
machdep.cpu.arch_perf.fixed_number: 3
machdep.cpu.arch_perf.fixed_width: 48
machdep.cpu.cache.linesize: 64
machdep.cpu.cache.L2_associativity: 8
machdep.cpu.cache.size: 256
machdep.cpu.tlb.inst.small: 64
machdep.cpu.tlb.inst.large: 7
machdep.cpu.tlb.data.small: 64
machdep.cpu.tlb.data.large: 32
machdep.cpu.tlb.shared: 512
machdep.cpu.address_bits.physical: 36
machdep.cpu.address_bits.virtual: 48
machdep.cpu.core_count: 4
machdep.cpu.thread_count: 8
machdep.cpu.flex_ratio.desired: 0
machdep.cpu.flex_ratio.min: 12
machdep.cpu.flex_ratio.max: 20

I have noticed very high cpu temperatures.. the following temps are at the start-up ... when i have the computer on for a while they jump up to 95-98 degrees Celcius

NOTE: I am not Overclocking

Ambient (room) temp: 33 degrees Celcius

post-438463-0-66717100-1339794404_thumb.png

You will need to install the version of fakesmc that is included in that download along with the motherboard plugins, not sure how they are labeled in the installer but should be easy to figure out. also uncheck any plugins for graphics cards you do not have, but can basically check everything else. THE INSTALLER WILL NOT REPLACE YOUR EXISTING FAKESMC so you need to delete or move it first then run the installer. If your cpu temps are really getting that high, I'm surprised it doesn't crash and KP. Proper DSDT can help with temps too, as example speedstep and native power management will work on my asus without DSDT and without chameleon generate P&C states, but temps will be 15 degrees hotter than with DSDT including SSDT tables

Also in sysctl the cpu.flex.ratio.desired should not be 0 but should be 20 for your multipliers.

If using a patched DSDT and you can boot without it, try removing it from /Extra for a bit and see if there is a difference. If you used scripted DSDT autopatcher that could be a problem

He should be using the DSDT I included in the download.

Those temps are high!

Mine spikes to 62-63 when under 100% load but never increases even if I leave it hand braking films all day, ambient is 25-30 (2 bearded dragons and a snake in the same room...who needs central heating!) and that's at 3.4GHz.

I don't understand what is going on here.

AppleCPUPowerManagement is loaded, turbo ratios are good which means turbo mode is working.

Chameleon should be generating your P-states for you.

Try removing my DSDT, installing NullCPUPowerManagement, rebuild caches etc then reboot and extract your DSDT using DSDT patcher.

Once you have 'your' dsdt, run through d00ds post I linked you to earlier and perform the steps I highlighted.

Once finished, compile and save the dsdt and place it in /Extra.

Rename my dsdt to dsdt_backup.aml and place both dsdts in /Extra.

Delete NullCPUPowerManagement and rebuild caches, repair permissions.

Reboot.

If you get a panic, boot with dsdt=dsdt_backup.aml

There may be a fundamental difference in our dsdts due to using slightly different processors.

Do you both have same mobo revision and on same bios version? Nothing other than improperly installed heatsink, no fan, using fireplace as a PC case, or watercooling with a boiler included in the loop, should let the temps get that high at stock speeds, but again hard to believe it would even stay running. OSX usually KP before TJmax. James, does DSDT have SSDT tables in it for native speed step without using chameleon generate P&C states? Did clean reinstall get done as James had orig suggested? Can you boot windows or linux to just see quickly and easily if this is hardware of software problem and go from there at least knowing that much for sure? I think putting Bearded Dragons inside PC case with their hot rocks and heater lights would still have lower CPU temps.

• Like 1

Ahhh, well fairly easy to copy and paste in if you want to have both options available? But I think for our friend, no more time should be wasted working on OSX tweaks until at least a linux live boot or something can be done to verify it's even a software related problem, cause it seems to go beyond a few buggy extra kexts if the sensors are accurate :( Assuming he followed your excellent advice and did a clean reinstall to eliminate that x-factor, the bios should also be reset to start on a completely level playing field, cause guessing games are no fun after the first guess is wrong. And I'm all out of guesses without having the system in front of me to be able to look through every setting...Oh the joys of virtual tech support!...Which reminds me, did you check to make sure it's plugged in? If you are having trouble connecting to the internet, please visit our web site for support. :)

Sorry for the problem guys i found the solution.. I would like to thank eep357 for his help and of course JamesLittler for his excellent support and help..

Also i am sorry for the late reply since I didn't want to risk my CPU by turning it on..

It seems that my CPU fan was not running properly thus the high temps did not allowed the computer to run at normal speeds.. I cleaned the FAN and remove all the dust from there, and added an extra one.. now I am going to buy a watercooling system.. The temps now are from 50-60 degrees..

Thank you guys for your support.. and sorry for bothering you!

P.S: Still Bios F12 is more stable than F13 on my machine.. But there is no problem for that!

If you water cool and don't over clock, I will cry.. Just went to Frozencpu to see what they had for water kits atm and all the prices seem to have doubled in the past month or so :( 50-60 still high if that's idle temp though. Make sure you use and apply thermal compound correctly (less is better), and lapping the CPU and heatsink is free, other than a little time patience, and gets you a few degrees lower too. People will debate on best thermal compound to use, but you really can go wrong with Artic Silver 5, if you lapp the mating surfaces first, u should only need a dab of it the size of a uncooked grain of rice. Interestingly the thermal compound (TIM) that Radio Shack sells as their own brand is Arctic Silver 5 put into their packaging