Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Displaying Sys info display 16gb ram, but only using 8gb? MiniITX

9 posts in this topic

So i just upgraded my Mighty Hack Mini from 2x4gb(8gb) sticks to 2x8gb(16gb).

The 16bg is showing up in my about mac and in my system info, but when i look at my activity monitor it's only using 8gb.

I've tried to reseat the ram and made sure its plugged in properly, and it works in my windows partition, but not sure whats up.

It is a Mini ITX board so I only have two slots?

Running 10.7.3 flawlessly other than this.

I have the Mac Mini system definition installed using the newest ###### (4.3 and chameleon). I have tried removing a stick and everything goes back to 8gb, then when I reinstall, it shows the 16gb in my Sys profile but just doesn't seem to be using it in activity monitor.

Any suggestions?

Ca anyone with 16gb in a Mini ITX chime in ? Thanks!

Gigabyte H55N-USB3

Intel i7 860

Radeon HD 6870

Here is a link of a picture of my Activity Monitor, About Mac, and Sys INFO

Post the contents of your org.chameleon.boot.plist, you may be limiting the amount of RAM, this is common when installing with more than 2Gb ram installed (though I never bothered and was always fine).

Just an idea but worth a shot.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x3000 darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>

I don't believe anything here is limiting it?

Yeah that motherboard only has two memory slots, Chameleon's memory detection is having a fit.

Are you using a patched DSDT? You must re-extract and patch it again after installing more memory.

Use a Linux live CD (Mint is good) or Lavalys Everest (or whatever it's called now) on Windows.

Don't extract on OS X, any tool or script you use will extract your already patched DSDT.

Hi sgrinalds,

Did you solve your problem?

I'm having a similar one, with the motherboard P55-USB3 rev 1.0, using DSDT from tonymacx86 also

Installed 8GB RAM but Activity Monitor shows 4GB only