trying all day to get snow leopard to work on my amd custom pc

14 posts in this topic

im trying to get an ultimate pc going with ubuntu win 7 and mac osx 10.6

i have finished my installs of win 7 and ubuntu

my specs are as follows:

ASUS M4A87TD EVO motherboard (am3)

AMD Athlon II x4 645 (stock 3.1ghz) OC to 3.7ghz =h70 watercooling on it

10gb of kingston dual channel ram (not any specific other than ddr3 1333mhz)

HIS ATI Radeon HD 6750 1gb vid card

1x 500gb WD partioned 100 gbs aprox for each OS

1x750gb storage drive with all my games music ect

i cant find any way to install osx snow leopard . i have tried alot of diffrent ways but they all just freeze after a bunch of text while trying to boot

plz help in anyway

AMD system is many times more difficult to run OSX than intel, not recommended as a first attempt at hackintosh and trying all day is not that long :) But if it was easy, everyone would do it right? That being said, your going to need a patched kernel with AMD support and patched kexts (extentions) for your southbridge chipset, then video, then network, then audio...etc. Can't really respond with what you'll need in less than a few pages of typing, which is at least a full AMD tutorial and a lot of other hardware specific fixes. Keep reading the various AMD posts here and elsewhere and expect to read a LOT and there is aways trial and error involved in any setup. once you got a base install done, you'll find these forums to be very supportive when asking for help with specific hardware issues that will inevitably come up. If this is the first ever hackintosh you've done, and have it fully 100% working in a week, I will applaud you sir, and good luck.

And the freezing white text is very important, make note of what it says and take pictures. Googling what it says after panic, kernel backtrace bla bla, and will list xxxx.kext then its depedencies xxxx.kext and xxxx.kext etc. the first one before it's dependent kexts' is the kernel extension that faulted and cause of that kernel panic and the first thing to look into for fixes. If the freeze is not a kernel panic, the last thing it says prior to freezing will likely google you some answers

• Like 1

First things first, go here System Info, an app to get hardware and kexts info and get windows or linux version depending on what your on and run app, take down all info on your hardware including different chipset models, vendor ID's, Device ID's. with that handy you can go to the site linked at same post and check hardware for compatability with SL, mainly your sata controller, network, audio, video card. Audio and network only matter if you want audio and network and worst case senario a usb dongle can get you through, but real hard to get by without the rest. Now I haven't installed 10.6 in a while or anything on AMD in a while, but using retail CD you need a something that can pre-load a set of compatible extensions to get you booted into the installer. There are plenty out there along with distros and I belive Mod CD as well, but I've never used it. Prob need to look for something that mentions n-force if that's your sata controller. verify bios settings that sata is set to ahci mode and not ide/legacy. At least with your specific info in hand you can check the forums and readme files for it and see if your equipment is on the list. if it is but you have a problem running it, my motto that applies to everything in life: Any problem you could ever have, someone else has already had, and wrote about it on the internet.... -You just have to know what to look for, so have your hardware info handy :)

• Like 1

a few lines higher there might be some relevant info, unless it sats moc osx version=none yet, or something like that. if u can take a picture with a camera and upload it that would be great

looks like a problem with the kernel it's loading, have you tried any different boot flags or just hittin enter? if you haven't already try the the modbin kernel by typing exactly what it says in the first shot, can't quite read it cause your flash bulb reflection. If that fails, try mach_kernel. also can try adding additional boot flags that may help, a bit of trial and error though. Some to try are -x, -f, arch=i386, -force64, cpus=1, and any combination may work, but try to go through them with some sort of order so you can remember what you already tried and know what seems to be working.

in the pic u uploaded, mach_kernel was chosen, try modbin kernel or legacy_kernel(chocolate), also use -x -v and try both busratio=17 and busratio=20 with different kernels, if still not working, try 18 and 19. you"ll get the right combonation eventually, but mach_kernel is not gonna work, sorry I kinda meant that as if all else fails last resort thing, but would be surprised if it did. Just get past that part you froze at before then can move on to the next spot it freezes :) but here's hoping it doesn't

and you have your sata controller set to ahci in bios right? very important that it is. Also make sure your including -x and try the different bus ratios. repeat all combination possibilities on each optional kernel. unhook your other spare data HD to be safe-although seperate hd for each OS prefered. Windows is already installed so your safe for now but if given the chance, windows will overwrite and bootloader it can get it's claws on. Turn off your overclock for now too. can also add cpus=1 into the boot flag mix and it may help

Its a tough one for you.First off,many things can be a problem here.The OC on the cpu won't have any impact here but the 10 gigs of RAM could be a problem in the begining.Secondly,you should have first installed Windows,THEN OSX,and lastly Ubuntu so you can daisychain the bootloaders from GRUB -> ntloader and -> Chameleon.We don't endorse piracy here,nor distros,but for this specific config and your no prior experience on the subject of hackintoshing,maybe the easiest way to help you and not worry about many of the problematic variables is using a distro to either a) install Snow Leopard directly B) in case it won't boot (and it happens,trust me),using a distro of 10.5 Leopard then installing from that to an other partition,greatly simplifying the configuration,installing of custom kexts,testing etc.

AHCI can sometimes (although every guide suggests using it) hang,and using IDE/legacy could be a better option.USB Legacy support can screw things up too.With an unpatched DSDT, RTC can cause problems,and HPET too.Really,a million variables.. I've seen the kernel panics,first kernel that crashed was 9.5.0 Voodoo and could be correlated to cpu cores,try using cpus=1,the second you used was a snow leo kernel,and from the errors above,i can conclude the kexts werent being properly loaded.And yeah,for starters..use maxmem=2048.Just post back when you are onto the subject.