hey guys,tweaking my video card. help REALLY appreciated

steevydead

23 posts in this topic

so im all up and running for the most part. dual boot between win 7 and os x lion.

im just not really happy with my xfx 6870 single fan. It sounds like the jets that fly over my house from logan airport. I did research for the build and thats why i chose what i did, however i didnt know about the dual fan 6870, and since microcenter didnt have them, they didnt tell me about them.

since im changing anyways and can spend a few more dollars, whats my best option?

ga z68x ud3h b3

i5 2500k

xfx radeon 6870

crucial ballistix 8gb 1333

seagate 1tb 3,5

crucial 128 2.5 ssd

should i stick with the xfx 6870 hd and just get the two fan model?

has there been any better luck with the 6950s ??

how about a 560 ti? my friend just got one right after i got mine, and its REALLY nice, hes getting much better rates OOB, but hes not using a hack pro.

so in terms of ease of use, quality, price everything.... can someone give me some advice? it has to be soon because i need to order from newegg asap to return mine to microcenter before its too late. Thanks!

Sup man, and with the 56O Ti it's hackintosh friendly so you'll be fine with it if you decide to go down the route with that card.

It all comes down to what you want whether it be more monitors which the 687O would be the way to go or for the CUDA cores of the 56O but if the fan is annoying you so much I'd suggest you get rid of that one no sense in living with something you can't tolerate unless it's a girlfriend which are hard to get rid of =\

56O doesn't seem overly difficult to get working because in general nvid cards are easy to work with as opposed to ati\amd cards where you have to fiddle with framebuffers to yield what you want from the card. Ultimately though like i said it depends solely on what you're after.

Here's the link on how to get the 56O working btw

http://www.osx86.net/view/1567-gtx_560_ti_for_lion_10.7_gm.html

And I'm holding off on the nvid cards until the 68O gets some support then I'll happily shell out the 5 bills for it and drop it in.

Lol at the logan airport reference I got a good laugh outta that

Good luck though 8)

Sup man, and with the 56O Ti it's hackintosh friendly so you'll be fine with it if you decide to go down the route with that card.

It all comes down to what you want whether it be more monitors which the 687O would be the way to go or for the CUDA cores of the 56O but if the fan is annoying you so much I'd suggest you get rid of that one no sense in living with something you can't tolerate unless it's a girlfriend which are hard to get rid of =\

56O doesn't seem overly difficult to get working because in general nvid cards are easy to work with as opposed to ati\amd cards where you have to fiddle with framebuffers to yield what you want from the card. Ultimately though like i said it depends solely on what you're after.

Here's the link on how to get the 56O working btw

http://www.osx86.net...on_10.7_gm.html

And I'm holding off on the nvid cards until the 68O gets some support then I'll happily shell out the 5 bills for it and drop it in.

Lol at the logan airport reference I got a good laugh outta that

Good luck though 8)

hey dude thanks for the response! yeah a buddy of mine got a 560 ti and it was down to that or the 6870 hd and i went with the 6870 hd because it was out of the box with my hackintosh, and i really do like it, but the single fan xfx that i have is just way too loud. After seeing the 560ti in action though it might just be worth fiddling with because its a BEAST! im using a 47" LG tv right now so i really dont need multiple monitors, and i SLI is always there for the future. guess it will be a spontaneous decusion once i get over to micro center. Are you from boston by the way?

In that case I woulda went after the 56O also and it's easier to get more than one nvidia card working so you can also expand from there if you wanted to. And nah I'm from NYC but we're both on the east coast. You're welcome and welcome to the forums.

Is the fan also too loud in Windows or only in OSX? If only in OSX, it may be fixable, if its just plain loud in either os then.....ear plugs?

I doubt he'd want to use ear plugs while using his comp. Maybe if his gf is nagging I'd see cause for ear plugs. :wallbash:

its loud in both, probably louder in windows id say. I have a custom fan control setup for it in both, but definately gets hotter in win7. Sooooo Im being really really ocd and now im looking into the 570 HD. im thinking that for a few dollars more it would be totally worth it. What do you think about that card/ ease of use in 10.7.3? It would be the same method for any 500 series card right? Since the 6900 series amd cards are not supported im thinking this might be my best band for my buck?

oh and ps, my GF LOVES TO NAG hahahaha. and i dont need earplugs, i just zone out in a game, or making music in logic on my hack pro. That way she doesnt see earplugs and thinks im a jerk, she just thinks im a geek.

Although I'd love to recommend the HD 5870, you'll never find one at a store, if you do buy it. Never been too impressed with the 6000 lineup as a whole, except the 6790 which is a nice card at it's lower midrange price point, but last I checked a no go in OSX :( this 570 looks like a 2 fanned beast http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121432 and comes with a t-shirt too! Won't have to do laundry for another week :)

Although I'd love to recommend the HD 5870, you'll never find one at a store, if you do buy it. Never been too impressed with the 6000 lineup as a whole, except the 6790 which is a nice card at it's lower midrange price point, but last I checked a no go in OSX :( this 570 looks like a 2 fanned beast http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121432 and comes with a t-shirt too! Won't have to do laundry for another week :)

ahahaha SO true that the t shirt will be worn for days on end, and it does look like a beast.

its a toss up between http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150521

or

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127582

or

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814500231

Im just hoping the 570 hd from evga which has one fan does not sound like a jet like my single fan 6870. I really dont feel like ordering off newegg and waiting, and im not sure they have the msi twin frozr that would be the other choice with a duel fan... hmm. there is just WAY too many options. 560 ti 448. or 570 hd superclocked or reg. 1 gb or 2gb. its enough to drive a man insane

well seeing as how you bought a 1 fan card and it's loud enough to replace it, I think it might be worth the wait to get something you'll be happy with and not have the same problem. One thing I've learned hackintoshing is research first and then never settle for "close" because it's local. If they got it local fine, but otherwise find and get the parts you really want/need and life will be easier for you and your girl. Plus you have a good, albeit loud, card to use while you wait. Here on the wes...I mean here in Tibet, I usually get newegg parts within 2 days using their standard mountain yak, ground delivery.

@steevydead We all have to pull the jerk move at least once or twice but passing off as a geek is so much better. And regarding the fan roaring from the 570s I heard and have seen on youtube that they are pretty quiet cards you should check out youtube on the gpus that you're considering so you'll know how they sound to others that already have it before you jump in and poke holes in your wallet for a new card. And the reason for all the choices is solely marketing man but the 570 has always been the middle sweet spot because the 580 was just either a bit overkill for most and then at the same time they didn't want to settle for the 560 thus the reason why the 570 sold like hot bread. Also a vram of over 1gb will only be more beneficial when you supersede the 1920 x 1080 resolution so don't be too worried unless you plan on chaining some monitors together.

@eep357 The 5870 indeed is damn hard to find nowadays unless you go shopping on eBay for it. On the contrary of you not being impressed by the 6xxx series after I saw the release of the 7xxx and then say the monstrosity known as the gtx 680 and just demolish the 79xx series to the point where it warranted a price drop I'm actually happy that I went with my 6870. Lol at the yak reference in the States there's a newegg facility just a state away so I just pick the free ups 3 day shipping which normally turns out to be a next day shipping depending on what time of the day I order which is why I love shopping with them 8)

ok. 570 HD superclocked ftw model from evga bought, installed, and running. I have a feeling something is not set up correctly as it doesnt look as good as the 6870 hd on the mac side, but this little guy runs cooler, quieter, and is an absolute BEAST on the windows side. i installed openCL through ######, and cuda 4.2.7 stable build. Anyone know if i am missing something? Since my mac side is to run logic, apps, and surf the internet, i can totally live with it, but if anyone knows any tweaks, im down to try. Id really really like to thank TH3L4UGH1NGM4N, and eep357. You guys actually responded, helped me make my decision, and guide me to boot. I totally appreciate it! I exchanged my power supply, and case as well today and i couldnt be happier with my setup. This machine is perfect in my eyes, and totally stable except for icloud and sleep issues.....

For perfecting the 570 fully you could always take a peak into the nvidia section of the forums I've seen a few threads on the 570 you might find some useful things there. As for your sleep and iCloud issues I can help you with the iCloud if you're getting that red little text saying you can't login there's a fix for that.

And I just realized you changed accounts lol caught me off guard there for a minute.

yeah my facebook link started working again, it wouldnt let me in for like 2 days straight. weird anyways, im getting unrecognized apple id or password in red, and unable to sign in because of a problem communicating with icloud from the drop down. as for the 570 hd, ive been doing research for a few hours now and there are a few things i havent tried but they involve text edits, hex edits, and random kexts, and i can tell you right now what will happen... ill end up tinkering and ill get no video or something and ill be kicking myself in the ass for not leaving it alone

yeah i just ran ungine, and im getting 4.4 fps. something is definately wrong. especially with a 13000+ geekbench score

Ah okay. And that has to do with the ethernetbuiltin flag not being present in your boot.plist. Just add it in like I did with mine and you'll be good to go with that.

Screen%20Shot%202012-05-05%20at%201.00.29%20AM.png

As for the 570 I suggest you make either a time machine or another os x install because if it's one thing i learned you always need a backup when it comes on to editing for the gpu or you'll render yourself in a hard place to get out of.

i have ethernet built in. heres mine

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>darkwake=0</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Blackosx_Button</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

i just made a bootable backup with carbon copy cloner. and i got time machine going as we speak. its always something hahaha. cant wait til everything is working great

=

What version of cham are you running? And seems like you're all prepared for the worst lol you'll be fine soon though don't worry.

The cham v2.1 r1627VS is the cham version that implements the iCloud and FT fix and anything later should also have that fix applied to it as well.

someone suggested that i use chimera instead of chameleon, however i cant just run the chimera install either stanalone or through ###### just to get it working. do i need to do a fresh install?? or can i edit the efi partition to get it going? the reason being that chimera works much better with nvidia cards supposedly.

ok good news and bad news. because i didnt want to erase the hard drive completely because of my time machine and CCC partitions i just did a CCC restore because of what you said about how it could be chimera, anyways, after the restore i booted from my ###### usb and got into lion. I ran geekbench, cinebench, and ungine again. geekbench score went up by 1000, cinebench is at 41 fps, and ungine is running at about 30 fps. So happy.

restarted the comp however and now it automatically boots into windows. even when i hit f12 and choose the os x hard drive it boots into windows. Booted off the usb again and ran the chimera stand alone installer 1.9.2 i believe, same thing. Ran muiltibeast and chose some settings.... same thing. I have no idea whats going on when it used to take me to the menu first......

Good to see you got better results unforteunately I have no clue why it's all of a sudden defaulting to windows as I've never used Chim before always been using Cham. You could try installing Chim to a flash drive and try booting off from there or if you have to bit more aggressive disconnect the the windows hdd. I've stopped mixing windows drives in my system when they used to cause all sorts of issues when dual booting.

Good to see you got better results unforteunately I have no clue why it's all of a sudden defaulting to windows as I've never used Chim before always been using Cham. You could try installing Chim to a flash drive and try booting off from there or if you have to bit more aggressive disconnect the the windows hdd. I've stopped mixing windows drives in my system when they used to cause all sorts of issues when dual booting.

maybe need to reset active partition using fdisk in terminal

ok well we are good to go. 570 hd is killing it in the hackintosh, and im using chimera now, it was a matter of my seagate 1tb being a brat.... i had to explore the contents of the chimera installer, pull out and copy boot01h, unmount my boot partition, and stick boot01h into it with a terminal command. Thanks a lot you guys..... really appreciate it. everything is working like a dream except for icloud but if i figure it out ill drop you a line!