POLL: Thinking about putting up a new site for G5 case modding

AlohaCab

10 posts in this topic

POLL:

I'm thinking about putting together a website that consolidates all the great mods everyone is doing on these cases and potentially sell pre-modded G5 cases ready for use. I'm also thinking about powder coating or anodizing the cases in different colors. Naturally I would provide the cable that I always do on the site as well. What do you guys think? Interested? What colors do you think the case would look good in?

I really like these cases and I think we need a more definitive way of cataloging all the great builds and providing a centralized place to purchase the cases with different mods already done. Not everyone has the tools to do all of this or even wants to do it, but they want either a PC or hackintosh in one of the best cases ever designed and built. No one else comes close to making a case as well built as the Apple

Mac

pro case.

I'm working on formally putting out a cable for the mac pro case, but I have to get my hands on a case first. Darn things are scarce.

Thanks,

AlohaCab

• 2 weeks later...

Sites having trouble processing paypal payments. Just PM me as usual for cable orders. Still waiting for my mac pro front panel to work on the new cable. Stay tuned.

Sites having trouble processing paypal payments. Just PM me as usual for cable orders. Still waiting for my mac pro front panel to work on the new cable. Stay tuned.

The PayPal system has been resolved. We are now accepting orders for cases (link). We are starting off by offering mod-ready cases rather than pre-modded cases. We will be adding pre-modded cases shortly.

Please continue ordering cables via PM through AlohaCab's profile.

$374.99

Three hundred

and 70

and 4.99

Genuinely, if you sell just one at that price, my hat goes off to you :king:

Have you ever completely disassembled a G5 case, and removed every ounce of ferrous metal, plastic, and adhesive material from it in preparation for reanodizing? If you really think it's that easy, I'll make you my supplier and knock off a couple hundy from the price so everybody here can benefit.

Have you ever completely disassembled a G5 case, and removed every ounce of ferrous metal, plastic, and adhesive material from it in preparation for reanodizing? If you really think it's that easy, I'll make you my supplier and knock off a couple hundy from the price so everybody here can benefit.

It's a lot of work, I'll give you that as I've done it myself, but lets break it down;

Lets say we use the UK minimum wage of £5.80 an hour, then double it just because, and then assume each case to require 8 hours of work (Mine took 4 hours to completely disassemble, cut a new hole in the back, remove all the plastic and adhesive {censored} -- admittedly I didn't remove any ferrous metal -- and then reassemble back after milling a fan mount out of the rear tray) ... round it up, call it £93 on top of a case that lets say you wrenched from a completely working powermac (Buy it now @ £75 in the UK for a working 1.6GHz single, I paid £82 for a working Dual 2GHz model). All the internals can then be sold at great profit, but for the purposes of trying to make a grossly inflated price, lets say you just bin them all. Then round it up again.

That's still only £170, with ludicrous assumptions over cost of parts, wages and time spent. (double for the most part)

To put it into perspective, my particular case, although not re-anodized, but crucially fully modified, cost earnt me £80 (sold the internals separately at a profit). This being after I added the price of a motherboard tray ($55 if you go the mountain mods route). I bought mine in pristine condition so it didn't need anodizing, nor do I want it re-anodizing as that would lose the apple logo and the original 'genuine' apple finish.

If I lived in the US, I would gladly churn out powermacs for that price, but alas, as you probably guessed, I'm from the UK.

It's a lot of work, I'll give you that as I've done it myself, but lets break it down;

Lets say we use the UK minimum wage of £5.80 an hour, then double it just because, and then assume each case to require 8 hours of work (Mine took 4 hours to completely disassemble, cut a new hole in the back, remove all the plastic and adhesive {censored} -- admittedly I didn't remove any ferrous metal -- and then reassemble back after milling a fan mount out of the rear tray) ... round it up, call it £93 on top of a case that lets say you wrenched from a completely working powermac (Buy it now @ £75 in the UK for a working 1.6GHz single, I paid £82 for a working Dual 2GHz model). All the internals can then be sold at great profit, but for the purposes of trying to make a grossly inflated price, lets say you just bin them all. Then round it up again.

That's still only £170, with ludicrous assumptions over cost of parts, wages and time spent. (double for the most part)

To put it into perspective, my particular case, although not re-anodized, but crucially fully modified, cost earnt me £80 (sold the internals separately at a profit). This being after I added the price of a motherboard tray ($55 if you go the mountain mods route). I bought mine in pristine condition so it didn't need anodizing, nor do I want it re-anodizing as that would lose the apple logo and the original 'genuine' apple finish.

If I lived in the US, I would gladly churn out powermacs for that price, but alas, as you probably guessed, I'm from the UK.

First of all, we don't have sweat shop workers churning out hundreds of cases at minimum wage. Each case order is treated as a custom job, and we do the work ourselves. You've also left out cost of COMPLETE REMOVAL of all adhesive (it needs to effing spotless to reanodize), media blasting, refinishing, supplies, utilities, lease of facilities, gasoline for delivery and pickup. Add up all of those things you DIDN'T have to do with your case, convert that number from GBP to USD (very important), and then come back to us with what your real costs would be if you ran this business yourself.

• 3 months later...

So do you just gut the orginal case and refinish, or do you add anything like ATX MB Standoffs, or cut out the ATX I/O Shield area, etc? Do you include all the orginal parts with the case, like the fans and the PSU, the PSU tray, etc? I can see where both of you are coming from - its a lot of work, plus you have to make it worth your while, but to make it worth our while, do you do any of the extra stuff, or is it just gutted and re-annodized?

Please dont either of you be mad at me, I am honestly curious about your process and your value-add to that process.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...