[MiniGuide] LION 10.7.3/4 on HP NC6400 (VGA Intel) & NC4400

bautzen

13 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed your OSX following this guide?

• Yes
    • No

41 posts in this topic

Pat,

I was able to install lion 10.7.3 and now I am on step 6. Can you tell where I am supposed to get default boot volume and uuid values? Can you please explain in more details how to manually install Sloce boot loader?

Thanks,

Sergey

Pat,

I was able to install lion 10.7.3 and now I am on step 6. Can you tell where I am supposed to get default boot volume and uuid values? Can you please explain in more details how to manually install Sloce boot loader?

Thanks,

Sergey

Hi senovr and thank you for your feedback!!!! About step 6 I invited you to read the linked thread about new clover: http://www.projectos...?showtopic=2304. For now it's "only" 27 pages. Anyway I follow that thread from the beginning and I have noticed that after the rev. 406, our notebook stop to boot normally. So pay attention to this. At this moment I have update the clover to rev. 430 (14.05.2012) without problems BUT I HAD TO OVERWRITE CLOVERIA32.efi with an old one (rev. 354) to be able to start with SNOW LEOPARD/LION.

I have a "special" configuration on my HDD that it different from your. So I can tell you what I have done:

MY SCENARIO:

- HDD 500GB Momentus.4 7200rpm partitioned as follow:

sh-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0
  #:		TYPE NAME			 SIZE			  IDENTIFIER
  0:		FDisk_partition_scheme		 *500.1 GB		  disk0
  1:		Apple_HFS SNOW-LEOPARD		 108.0 GB		  disk0s1
  2:		Windows_NTFS WINXP-PRO		  86.2 GB		  disk0s2
  3:		Windows_NTFS WINDOWS7		 108.3 GB		  disk0s3
  4:		 Apple_HFS LION			   43.1 GB		  disk0s5
  5:		Windows_NTFS DATA 		  154.5 GB		  disk0s6
sh-3.2#

As you can see I have MBR partition table instead of GPT. Partition 1,2,3 are primary and 4,5 are logical (over an extented one). Snow Leopard is on a primary and Lion on logical.

The boot partition is marked on /dev/disk0s1 (Snow leopard) and here I have installed Clover. With this particular configuration, I am not able to boot Windows XP and Windows 7 using Clover (some strange screens similar to Kernel Panic). For that reason If I want to boot Snow Leopard or Lion I use Clover, but if I press the key '1' immediately after HP logo, it start Chameleon (always from Snow Leopard partition) and it shows me a menu for WinXP or Win7. By this way I can quite boot all four OS.

The simple way to install Clover is using the .PKG provided from thread (olso the last one) and before restart the PC configure the /EFI folder according to the Slice documentation.

I attach to this reply my /EFI folder in ZIP format. It's formally the rev. 430 with the CLOVERIA32.efi from rev. 354

Under /EFI/ACPI/patched I have put my DSDT.aml

In /EFI/config.plist I have inserted the values to identify my NC6400 as MacBook2.1 (SMBIOS section). Enabled Graphics (Graphics section) and Inserted my Partiion NAME and Volume UUID for automatic boot procedure after timeout. The easy way to obtain these parameters is to launch from terminal: sudo diskutil info disk0sX (where 'X' means your OSX partition number). In my example will be:

sh-3.2# diskutil info disk0s1
  Device Identifier:		   disk0s1
  Device Node:			  /dev/disk0s1
  Part Of Whole:			disk0
  Device / Media Name:		 Untitled 1
  Volume Name:   =====>   SNOW-LEOPARD	 <=======================================
  Escaped with Unicode:	 SNOW-LEOPARD
  Mounted:			   Yes
  Mount Point:			  /
  Escaped with Unicode:	 /
  File System:			  Journaled HFS+
  Type:				 hfs
  Name:					 Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  Journal:				  Journal size 16384 KB at offset 0x327000
  Owners:				   Enabled
  Partition Type:		   Apple_HFS
  Bootable:				 Not bootable
  Media Type:			   Generic
  Protocol:				 SATA
  SMART Status:			 Verified
 Volume UUID:   =====>  13130871-39AC-35A6-8942-F4498EF90867	<=================================
  Total Size:			   108.0 GB (108023250944 Bytes) (exactly 210982912 512-Byte-Blocks)
  Volume Free Space:		74.8 GB (74817933312 Bytes) (exactly 146128776 512-Byte-Blocks)
  Read-Only Media:		  No
  Read-Only Volume:		 No
  Ejectable:				No
  Whole:					No
  Internal:				 Yes

Under /EFI/BOOT I have put the CLOVERIA32.efi that permits me to boot fine SL/LION on dual core mode without errors and edited refit.conf to set the initial timeout and theme.

My 2 cent

Pat

P.S.

- Please let me know if works with other configuration. For example GPT or last rev. (without overwrite cloveria or similar)

- I remember that in some rare situation, dual core works ootb (natively) with not recent BIOS version of our NC6400. On projectOSX u will found a man in that situation. The problem is that with last firmware we have T7xxx CPU support!!!!

EFI.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I tried you're Tutorial and every step but the 6th one worked. I can't boot without the argument cpus=1 busratio=11 using clover or chameleon. I have an nc6400 with a t5600 cpu and the ATI x1300 graphics card. So, there I am, stuck without a proper booting and the manual installation of clover is complete chinese for me so I used the revision 430 with the cloveria32.efi that you gave from the 354 revision, like you showed in the message above. I get the graphics working well but the cpu just shut down when i don't use the cpus=1 and busratio=11 arguments. I tried everything I found and had to reinstall it more than 10 times. Can you help me, because you look to know a lot more than I do on the subject, to get my processor working properly.

Thank you for your help.

Hi JiTee, uhmm strange your notebook behavior!!!!

1) Have you MBR partition table? Right?

2) Could you please attach your: 'diskutil list' (as in my last post)

3) Could you please attach a screen-shot or report here which options you choose during Clover installation pakage?

4) Because of your VGA card (ATI and not Intel!!!) be sure to use the right DSDT. In my zip I have Intel version (not ATI). Maybe something related to that.

5) Which BIOS version has your notebook?

6) Have you used my EFI zipped on previous file?

7) I invite you to disable "Dual core" on BIOS instead of using cpus=1

Pat

I didn't used the EFI folder, I only replaced the cloveria32.efi. Otherwise, it wasn't booting at all... Maybe I did something wrong, I'm far from an expert with boot manager.

My partition table is MBR.

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk0

1: Windows_NTFS 167.8 GB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS MacOSX 152.3 GB disk0s2

Also, I'm not quite sure about what is the DSDT and how to choose it... Sorry about that.

And, there is the option I selected.

http://imageshack.us...20606at103.jpg/

Thank you for the fast answer.

Edit: Disabling the Dual Core and removing the argument cpus=1 work great, it's even a little less choppy this way.

I also noticed that clover see my laptop as a MacPro 3,1 and you use the MacBook Pro 2,1 informations, does it matter or I make it stay how it is?

Ok, So, I got the 2 cores working. I reinstalled Clover, used your DSDT, config and cloveria32.efi.

The issue is that my gnu is not working anymore and I can't set the 1280x800x32 resolution anymore, it only boot using 1024x768x32, even if I use the ''Graphics Mode'' argument.

It's really weird... :(

Also, the fan is running very loud, like if my cpu is overheating or something...

Temperature monitor shows that both cores runs at 40 to 55 degrees.

Hi Jitee, good work!!! MacBook info are stored in config.plist file. I have used MacBook 2,1 because this seems more near to my hardware. If Clover recognize your one better as 3.1 you can update Config.plist with new informations (u can use Chameleon Wizard to generate a good smbios.plist and then update Config.plist according to that).

About DSDT, please replace in /EFI/ACPI/patched the DSDT.aml (intel VGA card) with other one that I have attached below (experimental DSDT with the same fixes but for NC6400 with ATI cards. It's Experimental because I haven't a NC6400 with ATI). By this way you should gain the Bluetooth device too (I don't see it from your picture).

About the FAN, I had the same problem (high speed FAN rotation) till I have applied an old Kext from tiger: AppleACPIThermal.kext. This kext is located under Plugins folder of AppleACPIPlatform.kext. provided with my original ZIP (SLE.zip). I noticed that it works well when FakeSMC.kext (also the last 4.2.0 version), VoodooPowerMini.kext are loaded. All these kext together permit a good speedstep (and temperature control).

I have noticed too that sometime they seem to be loaded but they are not completely, so I have tried to execute a rebuilding command from terminal after Kext Utility, something like this:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

About this please read: http://thedotnetter..../tag/kextcache/

In other words:

- Use the DSDT attached below

- If you want change your smbios.plist information (not so necessary)

- Re-run Kext Utility

- Launch the above command (to update and use right kext cache on startup boot procedure)

- Reboot

The EFI.zip provided some previous post is my working /EFI folder with the right cloveria. If you want. you can overwrite your one (created using Clover installer) and then replace the DSDT your your etc

Let me know your experiences

P.S.

Please don't forget to partecipate to the thread poll.

Pat

nc6400_ati_aml_08122011.zip

Thank you, I'll try it out. I'll edit this post with my results. For the moment, I tried some old kext for the fan and an other DSDT that I found that was compatible for snow leopard and failed to make it boot again. So, I reinstalled everything. I hope it will work this time :). I'll give you news soon.

BTW, I don't have bluethoot, they removed it, and the dvd burner for some legal issues at my school, where I bought the computer 5 years ago.

Edit 1: I'm not able to make it work using 10.7.1

Using 10.7.3, it seems to work but I always get kernel panics on some kext to I need to figure out what is problematic (Your version of VoodooHDA and VoodooBattery and the APCIs don't work on my computer or give me kernel panics).

Edit 1: I'm not able to make it work using 10.7.1

Using 10.7.3, it seems to work but I always get kernel panics on some kext to I need to figure out what is problematic (Your version of VoodooHDA and VoodooBattery and the APCIs don't work on my computer or give me kernel panics).

Hi jitee, first of all I haven't an NC6400 ati vga version, but I think that it's almost the same hardware resource.

Try to post here a picture of the variuos KP and at which step it appears.

The main kexts that you need are:

- AppleACPIPlatform.kext: original 10.7.3 kext that included under Plugins folder the AppleACPIThermal.kext from a tiger version. This plugins control the CPU fan to reduce itself based on temperature. Without this, my CPU FAN rotates always at maximum.

- FakeSMC.kext: the most important one. This kext provided in my ZIP, it's an old one (ver. 2 or 3, I don't remeber now). You can quite use a newer FakeSMC from here http://www.projectos...findpost&p=7288 . I have update mine to 4.2 version with these other plugins: ACPISensors.kext, IntelCPUMonitor.kext by this way you could use HWMonitor.app too.

- IONetworkingFamily.kext: kext that included under Plugins Folder the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext which I have modified using an HEX editor for our Wired Lan ethernet port. For MAC address you will need to add it manually at every startup

- IOPCIFamily.kext: a patched kext to enable the internal PCI addressing of south-bridge

- Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext: I don't know exactly what it's meaning, but it appears on almost every Lion's guide!!

- VoodooPowerMini.kext: this kext "enables" the SpeedSteep features without fix the DSDT part or enabling P/C states.

- VoodooPS2Controller.kext: This kext enable TouchPad and Keyboard (not the trackpad)

- VoodooHDA-2.6.2.pkg: it installs the VoodooHDA.kext and Voodoo pref panel. This is the only one that natively enable the internal MIC and 2 external jack without rebuild manually the codec. Install it and you are ok with the sound. IMPORTANT: it's INCOMPATIBLE with AppleHDA.kext and similar. Be sure to don't have any AppleHDA or other VoodooHDA under S/L/E before install it. The presence of AppleHDA or Azalia Kext, generate KP on start-up. If so, attach the HDD to another MAC and delete all audio Kext or try to start using '-s' or other way.

Instead:

- VoodooBattery.kext:it enables Battery ICON on menu bar. It's better to use AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext attached on my first post

- IOPCMCIAFamily.kext, ApplePCCard16ATA.kext and ApplePCCardATA.kext are used ONLY for enable your PCMCIA slot and using a PCMCIA card Reader for SD you can manage your memory stick instead of internal Card Reader (Texas Instruments).

Usually, the mistake is to boot in 64bit mode. Our notebook doesn't work in 64bit mode. Be aware!!!!. You must be sure to boot in 32bit (arch=i386)

Regards

Pat

• 2 months later...

Hi, sorry if my intervention is late, but I didn't had the time to play on my hackintosh lastly. But, I tryied everystep, again and again, and only managed to get the os running (fully) without QE/CI working (I'm not sure about the term, but, the fluid graphics basically). So, I got bored and installed SL 1.6.8 back and still use it as this day. Thank you for your support, I managed to install it and make everything works well on an intel version of the nc6400 (the pc of my friend). Evertyhing took less then 30 minutes and it still works, he use 10.6.3 and I disabled the uptade in case it start currupting everything. But, everything works, and works really well. He installed an SSD on his pc and 4gb of ram, and it's almost as fast as his sister's Mac Book Air (from 2011) / She's mad.

Also, you can install it without having any mac in your possession if you use a distribution, but, it makes the process a little longer. You have to install Windows, install chamelon for Windows: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=255052, and then, install mac over the Windows partition (you simply erase windows). It worked as well for both SL and Lion.

• 5 months later...

Hi bautzen! Thanks for one more detailed tutorial!!

I would like to ask if you prefer SL instead of Lion. Which one runs better on our notebooks in your opinion ?

Have you tried to update to 10.7.5 ?

I was thinking on ML, but there is no kext for ours gma950 that allows we have QE/CI.

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

First of all, thanks for the amazing tutorial! It's been really helpful in getting OSX set up.

I've installed using iAtkos L2 on my NC4400, and with the help of your BIOS whitelist flash, smbios.plist, and VoodooHDA kext, everything is working.

However, seeing as I'm wanting to use this machine for iOS development, and the latest version of Xcode requires at least 10.0.7.4, how would you recommend I update to avoid issues?

Thanks!

P.S.: I also have an issue where I'm not getting QE+CI on my graphics card...GMA950. Any suggestions? Also if I missed something else in this thread that answers my questions...my apologies.

Edited by coderkid

So - and what are the odds - I went ahead and took the plunge, and updated to 10.0.7.5, and to my shock, it went without a hitch, unless there's a surprise waiting for me on second boot. In addition to that, I got QE+CI. But that's probably due to my adding in the arch flag.

Hmm. After the update I tried adding in SleepEnabler.kext, and I got a kernel panic. Removed for now...sleep's not a biggie for me though.

Edited by mattcurtis

hi mattcurtis, about your installation method... I didn't use iAtkos L2 but only original DVD applying the above kext. About sleep, I resolved using a custom DSDT instead fo sleepenabler (this one depends from OSX level: one for 10.7.1, one for 10.7.2 etc etc). I noticed that sometimes when I wake up it from sleep, I lost bluetooth functionality. When you upgrade your os, be sure to reapply the right kext. GMA950 it's native (32bit) in OSX. Glad to hear about a succefully 10.7.5 update. Normally I use Snow Leopard 10.6.7 on my nc4400 and not more Lion. With 10.6.7 I didn't ever seen a KP!!! Really rock solid. Don't forget to vote my Poll.

Bis Bald

Pat

• Like 1

hi mattcurtis, about your installation method... I didn't use iAtkos L2 but only original DVD applying the above kext. About sleep, I resolved using a custom DSDT instead fo sleepenabler (this one depends from OSX level: one for 10.7.1, one for 10.7.2 etc etc). I noticed that sometimes when I wake up it from sleep, I lost bluetooth functionality. When you upgrade your os, be sure to reapply the right kext. GMA950 it's native (32bit) in OSX. Glad to hear about a succefully 10.7.5 update. Normally I use Snow Leopard 10.6.7 on my nc4400 and not more Lion. With 10.6.7 I didn't ever seen a KP!!! Really rock solid. Don't forget to vote my Poll.

Bis Bald

Pat

Thanks for the reply! I voted, as well.

What DSDT is that? I used the one in this thread to remove the CPUs Kernel Panic, but is there something else I didn't do or need to get...?

• 1 year later...

oke so i know this is a really old thread but i own a HP NC6320 and it is almost the same as HPNC6400 i need some help whit the clover thing this is totally new to me and i cant seem to figure out how to do this the right way please help i need a step by step how to !!