CPU Instructions

5 posts in this topic

Well I've been wondering about the CPU Instructions such as sse2 sse3 ssse3, I see that alot of people say you have to have the sse3 to run stuff and most amds do not.

Well I was looking at my cpu in windoze in cpu-z and in mac on cpu-x and on my instructions it shows: sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 sse4.1 sse4.2

What does all that mean in regards to Os X.

Thanks gurus.

I'm no Guru--here is my 2¢.

As far as I can tell, the importance of SSE3 is that all the intel processors that Apple has used since their deal, have had the SSE3 instruction set since the core-solo Mac Mini.

That would indicate that at some point the whole OS; Finder, Preferences, etc, had to be built with SSE3 instruction set in mind.

The old PPC structure was relegated to emulation. PPC emulation (Rosetta) is not possible without the SSE3 instruction set.

If Apple didn't include Rosetta in the early intel days they would have had an angry mob throwing apples all over the Loop. That would not have been a good thing.

To date, all the other instruction sets you mention are only possible on the Nehalem Processor Family; Xeon 3500, Xeon 5500, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, Xeon 3600, Xeon 5600.

So since the new intels support the same thing that my chip does.....and apple uses the new intel chips.....shouldn't I be able to (theoretically) boot with the vanilla kernel?????

The lion install (when I just try to open the installer) says I need one of those chips

I don't think intel chips support Hyper Transport. Performance-wise yours can keep up with the i5.

The architecture is vastly different, that is why you wont find a lot of answers getting OSX up on your rig.