yonyz

VLC vs. Quicktime with Perian

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I've got this screenshot comparing snapshots of a video played by VLC and QuickTime with the Perian extension. As you can see, the VLC image is pale, something about the colors. I should mention that's how VLC plays the video on Windows 7 as well. However, I prefer the QT image, but QT has some audio/video sync issues. I think it doesn't skip frames. Anyway, can I get the same quality image on VLC somehow? (the left one is VLC, right is QT)

20r02sj.png

Advertisement

Looks like the contrast level is a tiny bit higher on Quicktime.

VLC has a ton of filtering and image enhancing settings but they are hidden away deep inside the preferences menu. Click the 'show all' button and look for them in there.

Here's what I've tried: Preferences>Video>Filters>Image adjust> here I changed the contrast, and I even set brightness to almost zero, which should make the picture almost impossible to be seen. I hit the Save button, restart VLC and then start the video again, and I see no difference at all. What am I doing wrong?

I've tried messing with the settings for a few minutes, couldn't get the same quality of image, but I see some improvement. I wish QT could play 1080p mkv files smoothly.

I love VLC for its ability to play a lot of formats, but I feel like V2 has some bugs in it that maybe were not there in V1?

I haven't tested this, but some of the files of late that I've tried to play are causing V2 to stall (maybe they would cause V1 too, but I don't remember that happening).

One thing that is awesome about VLC though is it lets you choose your audio device right from the menu bar. I find that very useful.

I don't notice a picture quality difference on my set up, 1080p

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By kvonlinee
      Hi everyone!
      xubuntu 15.10 come on raid0 and encryption make me re-think ubuntu-base responsive.
      I have few small ssds around and I need a bigger storage on the boot drive that why I pick raid0 to combine for storage, I am no really looking for speed on this set-up. about the encryption is for security reason in-case of lost or stolen computer make me not worry for un-authorize access data. so we start like this:
             In case if you just want on a single disk you can get xubuntu iso from http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/#regularand install.
             now, you want raid0, get the iso on from ubuntu server 15.10 at http://releases.ubuntu.com/15.10/ubuntu-15.10-server-amd64.iso.torrentand make iso boot-able to install server first.
             on the server install first drive, partition a /boot for 500MB as ext4, the rest of drive for a partition for hardware raid. the second drive and third drive is 1 partition for hardware raid.
            configure those raid as raid0 or whatever level you like, then make its to encryption ( chose a 20 to 30 characters pharepass for high security)
            configure that encryption to LVM then make 1 group that could contain root, swap, and home. then format and mount its according to its set-up.
           now install as regular server, may chose its as ssh server, create user... done, reboot
      then to add xubuntu GUI to its.
       update 
                sudo apt-get update
                sudo systemctl enable ufw            ( for firewall auto start)
                sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop      ( it may take a-while for 500MB download and extract plus install)
      done and reboot, login and install following as optional
                sudo apt-get install vlc sshguard fail2ban
                sudo systemctl disable sshd              ( to stop ssh to your server)

turn out I can't disable sshd so I remove it it instead
                     sudo apt-get purge openssh-server    

you may want to install compton to reduce screen-tearing.
                sudo apt-get install comtpon  ( use it with file I attach)

Xubuntu 15.10 have a great performment, fast cut and paste file to samba as 50 MB/s.
      have fun and enjoy.

Edit: somehow the compton setting, it is best with radeon graphics card, mine is radeon 7950 and 8750, its provide no tearing at all. On the nvidia GTX-660ti, still has tearing and cpu process goes much higher on the same application.
      compton.zip
    • By ila225
      Hello everyone,

Perhaps someone has come across this problem already.

I'm using Mavericks with a GA-Z87-D3HP and ATi Radeon HD 7950, forcing Aji FB, and onboard GPU disabled, booting with Clover.

Everything is working fine, except that when I open QuickTime and ask it to record the screen, it only produces a lot of gibberish for the video, as such:

Has anyone seen this or would have any ideas of how to fix it or even where to start looking for a fix?

I also have another system, exactly the same, everything but the GPU, which is an ATi Radeon HD 6850 booting with Chameleon, and in that machine the capture works perfectly.

Thanks!

• By zndr
      OK, so long story short, I'm trying to create a stress script for some work

that script will play up to 12 quicktime videos at any one point. It can organise them all via tiles based on the # of windows and thats all fine. But I also want them to use quicktime x's presentation feature to set them all to full screen.

I have a ghetto script that fullscreens them all very poorly, but I'd really prefer something more efficient, as well as getting them to close.

currently the script that I've been trying to use looks like this

Ok..well posting code doesn't seem to work..lame
      so here: http://pastebin.com/Nz3mwDLx

This doesn't open every single window after window 6-9 depending
      I know that using document ID's like this must be inefficient, and creating variables in this obtuse way must not be very clean.

using quicktime x and 10.8 (but this should work in 10.7 for sure.

thanks for the help.
    • By myradon
      My hackintosh is suffering from a artifacts/ a horizontal line (shifted display) at the bottom of the page of the secondary display when starting to display Adobe Flash in the browser eg. at Youtube or displaying Quicktime-App in OS X Lion 10.7.4. Only system definition MacPro 3,1 doesn't have this problem. I want to have multiple P-states that's why I'm not using MP3,1.

<key>AtiConfig</key><string>Vervet</string> in org.chameleon.Boot.plist. 5770 and vidcard is recognized as a 5770 in System Report. Tried also stability of 5770 in Lion --> 5 hours of Unigine-Heaven-3.0 Demo no problemo.
      I've tried System definition iMac 12,2, Macmini 5,3, Macmini 5,1 and removed AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext from S/L/E still suffering from the odd line. sound is terrible.
      SD iMac 12,2 altered S/L/E IOPPlatformPluginFamily.kext --> ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext to Macbook Pro 8,3 for P-states still suffering line

I thought "well OK try my Asus nVidia 9400GT passive!" Installed it with SD iMac12,2 and bammm.... no glithces, artifacts or line when playing Youtube movie or using Quicktime-App. Only performance is not okay. Scrolling in Browser is choppy, Hardware Acceleration in Photoshop CS5.5 is choppy.
      Digging through topics here, at Tony's Forum or even Google doesn't help me much ;-(

What do I overlook guys?