Niresh 10.7.2 on Inspiron 580 (fully working non-DSDT)

themacmeister

3 posts in this topic

Well, it was only a matter of time -- but I finally installed Lion 10.7.2 on my Core i3 2.93GHz Inspiron 580 MT.

I used the N*resh Lion 10.7.2 DVD, booting and installing from DVD, with no kernel flags.

Install went incredibly smoothly, and triple boots Win7 32bit, Snow Leopard 10.6.8 retail, Niresh 10.7.2 all from Chimera.

*note* previous issues of booting with external USB drives plugged-in seems to have been solved with Chimera (this was not the case with Chameleon).

I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] install from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 4.2.1, and added 888b/887 audio codec and HDAEnabler and AppleHDA rollback to get fully working audio.

Sadly, I was not able to get built-in networking operational using a whole range of kexts (BCM5785M?) so I installed an old TG-3269 gigabit PCI card, which runs a Realtek 8169SC chipset. I simply copied the /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily/MacOS/Plug-ins/RTL8169.kext from my 10.6.8 installation to the same location in Lion installation. Then I disabled integrated NIC.

I need to run Kext Utility after making any system changes, as I am using KextCache=Yes in Chimera, and the kernel flag -f does not work (and locks up the machine) with this set. Startup is noticeably faster under Lion than Snow Leopard, I am assuming a network timeout is not occuring under Lion startup.

Using SleepEnabler 10.7.x with pmVersion=102 gives me fully working sleep (with an even faster wake than 10.6.8).

So there you have it, a fully working Lion 10.7.2 (and 10.6.8) with NO DSDT WHATSOEVER!!! (and only a cheap gigabit PCI card required). I'm sure I could get the integrated networking fully working with more time, but this solution was faster and more elegant. The TG-3269 driver works under 10.6.x and 10.7.x and Win7 without the need for drivers.

I am a little disappointed regarding performance in comparison to 10.6.8. That being said, the difference is negligible for day-to-day tasks.

WORKING FULLY:

64bit boot, kernel & extensions

Intel 5 Series SATA

ALC888b audio (shows as built-in audio -> tested all analog inputs/outputs, digital untested) -- works across sleep/hibernate

GeForce 9800GT full QE/CI support* (see below for interesting bug) -- works across sleep/hibernate DVI->VGA adaptor only

Networking (full speed) -- works across sleep/hibernate

TO-DO LIST:

Get NTFS-3g working with OSXFuse. Read-Only NTFS at the moment.

Workaround available for 15sec timeout with fusewait (requires XCode 4.1/4.2) -> https://gist.github.com/1100318

Or use Paragon NTFS 9.x

Tested with Paragon -- nice

Latest Tuxera NTFS-3g for Mac still gets the 15sec timeout warnings (but less often).

Some fullscreen 1920x1080 games no longer working fullscreen, or at correct resolution. Same issue with 10.6.8 too. This is almost certainly an issue with Chimera and "GraphicsEnabler=Yes", as this is the only difference from previous fully working Snow install. I will experiment with some other enabler/injector, and see if this improves. If another enabler/injector fixes the issue under Lion, I will try it with 10.6.8 as well. Apparently, some injector makes DVI->HDMI work again with my card, but I am not holding my breath (my monitor is VGA/HDMI only).

Check troublesome software (iCloud, Facetime etc.)

That is all so far. Best of luck! Updates as they happen...

I ruined my install, and could no longer boot Lion.

I had made changes to test NVenabler64 + custom BIOS + custom display-cfg settings (in an attetmpt to get DVI->HDMI working on my crappy card).

I have wiped the hard drive, and used it on another project, so no updates for quite a while.

Cheers.