No Volume Control

fluffy69

9 posts in this topic

I've installed Mac OS X 10.4.7. the soundchip on my mainboard is the c-media 9739a chipset. the chipset should be compatible to the ac97 v.2.2 specifications. my problem lies within volume control. i can hear the sound and i can adjust the volume within applications such as itunes and quicktime BUT everytime i adjust the global volume settings theres no effect. the volume indicator fades in and indicates that the sound is lowered or raised but there is effect. the volume stays the same. has anyone had the same experience or does anyone know a solution to my problem?

- What happens if you adjust the global volume in the sound preferences?

- Is this a brand new install?

- Which installer did you use?

Edit: better add my own sound card. I'm using Realtek ALC650 6-Channel sound output with SPDIF input/output.

Hmm, and you haven't installed anything like iTunes mod, FrontRow? I'm facing the same problem on this 10.4.7. However, I can change the global volume in SysPref. I haven't gotten to the root of the problem since it's been about 6 months since my last OS X re-install. I seem to remember the toolbar volume control used to work 3 months ago. It must be something I've installed or tweaked.

Just posting back to say that my menu bar volume control works. just a bit strange that it wasn't working 4 days ago and now out of nowhere it's working. The only explanation I have is that some other 3rd party application was taking control of global volume level. Maybe it was the keyboard volume controller I removed the other day.

• 1 year later...