macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try those suggestions but about the bootloader.

I cannot boot Lion from my hard drive. I can boot it from the installation DVD and thats it. Whenever I try to boot from hard drive it says: "Operating system not found". This leads me to believe that the boot loader did not install correctly. I have the latest Chameleon installed but it doesn't seem to do anything. I've even installed it multiple times, everything seems in order, even changed the boot priority - nothing.

I have Windows 7 on my first hard drive and Mac OSx on my second hard drive.

Did you make sure and change the partition scheme to MBR, defaults to GPT. Our bios will not boot a GPT partition scheme

Did you make sure and change the partition scheme to MBR, defaults to GPT. Our bios will not boot a GPT partition scheme

Are you serious!? I was told that didn't matter! Do I have to reformat and start again or is there are way to do it now?

@ RDGnome, Jon Lachonis

Have u guys deleted nvidia kexts it might be causing problems in getting full hd screen resolution and also scrambled screens.

Just make sure u delete these kexts Geforce.kext, GeforceGA.plugin, GeforceVADriver.bundle just delete all kexts which start with Geforce....

Now delete all nvidia fermi kexts NVDAGF100HAL.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAesman.kext, NVSMU.kext

Delete these kexts, they are located in system/library/extensions and then clear the cache, i mean delete kernel cache from

System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

Now install AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext again with the help of kextutility.app and then restart. Before restarting make sure u have DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml, org.chameleon.boot.plist and smbios.plist in place and also install latest chameleon bootloader and then finally restart.

One more thing u need to boot from bootloader installed on hard disk not with the help of iatkos l2 dvd chameleon bootloader.

Having a bizarre issue after this. Lion will not boot, it just crashes and the laptop restarts again. I booted verboase and noticed it was crashing after loading appleHDA.kext. I went back into windows, deleted it, and was able to get back into lion again. I reinstalled AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext, appleHDA.kext, and now I have the same screen dsitortion as before.

I am using a DSDT created using the process you advised, since I have an I5 version of the l702x. Thanks for your replies thus far, it's really appreciated. I'm hoping you can help me move forward once again. :D

FOLLOWUP: I put your DSDT and SSDT in and now everything is working fine. I'm a bit nervous though since your DSDT/SSDT aren't for my processor. Any advice other than "God No!" ? :D

Edited by Jon Lachonis

@ Jon lachonis

Well

AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext and AppleHDA.kext both need to be installed with kextuutilty.app other wise they will not work.

Secondly reasons for distortion issues can be many things, presence of nvidia kexts, intel gma 950, intel gma x3100 and intel hd kexts. Just remove all unnecessary kexts also remove ATI kexts. After deleting these kexts u need to clear the kernelcache. Then simply run kextutility.app it will generate a new kernelcache for the existing kexts. Just follow the guide exactly without skipping any steps.

By the way do u have 1920x1080 or 1600x900 resolution ? i have added 1920x1080 as default screen resolution in org.chameleon.boot.plist, if u have smaller resolution please change it accordingly.

Frankly speaking its not recommended to use i7 DSDT and SSDT on i5 processor. In i7 DSDT the code includes 8 cores where as i5 has 4 cores and in SSDT the p states differ due to difference in processor speeds. But with rapid development in chameleon boot loader v 2.1, We no longer need SSDT in the root of the lion partition. Just make sure u have enabled generate P states= yes generate C states= yes in org.chameleon.boot.plist and then u can delete SSDT with confidence.

I will patch ur i5 processor DSDT with applicable patches, Can u please post ur i5 DSDT.aml or DSDT.dsl generated with the help of DSDTparser DSDTEditor_Linux_Windows. Please post the vanilla ( i mean original DSDT without any modifications, patches) DSDT. Also please post the hardware details of ur laptop, i mean sound card is it ALC 665 or some other), do u have optimus ? As i need to know what i am patching.

@ RDGnome

U need to format ur hard drive to MBR not GUID partition. One more thing i would recommend u to install lion on the same hard drive where Windows 7 is installed in order to mitigate the problems. Just shrink ur current Windows 7 partition and install lion on it.

So I need to start again. Hopefully that will solve my booting problems. However I cannot install mac OS x on my windows hard drive as it has no space left.

Any advances on the resolution problem?

I'll reinstall and let you know the results.

Thanks

@ Jon lachonis Well

AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext and AppleHDA.kext both need to be installed with kextuutilty.app other wise they will not work.

Secondly reasons for distortion issues can be many things, presence of nvidia kexts, intel gma 950, intel gma x3100 and intel hd kexts. Just remove all unnecessary kexts also remove ATI kexts. After deleting these kexts u need to clear the kernelcache. Then simply run kextutility.app it will generate a new kernelcache for the existing kexts. Just follow the guide exactly without skipping any steps.

By the way do u have 1920x1080 or 1600x900 resolution ? i have added 1920x1080 as default screen resolution in org.chameleon.boot.plist, if u have smaller resolution please change it accordingly.

Frankly speaking its not recommended to use i7 DSDT and SSDT on i5 processor. In i7 DSDT the code includes 8 cores where as i5 has 4 cores and in SSDT the p states differ due to difference in processor speeds. But with rapid development in chameleon boot loader v 2.1, We no longer need SSDT in the root of the lion partition. Just make sure u have enabled generate P states= yes generate C states= yes in org.chameleon.boot.plist and then u can delete SSDT with confidence.

I will patch ur i5 processor with applicable patches, Can u please post ur i5 DSDT.aml or DSDT.dsl generated with the help of DSDTparser DSDTEditor_Linux_Windows. Please post the vanilla ( i mean original DSDT without any modifications, patches) DSDT. Also please post the hardware details of ur laptop, i mean sound card is it ALC 665 or some other), do u have optimus ? As i need to know what i am patching.

@ RDGnome

U need to format ur hard drive to MBR not GUID partition. One more thing i would recommend u to install lion on the same hard drive where Windows 7 is installed in order to mitigate the problems. Just shrink ur current Windows 7 partition and install lion on it.

Great thanks! This is the raw DSDT.dsl, I did not attempt to compile or error fix it at all. I had some problems compiling it before, I wound up commenting some lines per your instructions.

I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. Here are my specs

Dell XPS 17 L702x X17L-3333ELS

i5-2430M 2.4GHz processor

1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 550M graphics with Optimus

The audio seems to be working fine, so I'm guessing this is 100% compatible. I wasn't able to find any listing suggesting that there was a model with a different sound card.

Also, the bus ratio for the process is 24 so I've adjusted that as well as the res in org.chameleon.boot.plist.

DSDT.rar

@ Jon Lachonis

Well u have attached my i7 DSDT instead of ur i5 DSDT, Have u generated DSDT from Lion or Windows 7 ? if ur running the DSDT Parser from Lion, make sure delete DSDT.aml from the root of the lion partition and then run the DSDT parser app, otherwise it just picks the DSDT.aml from the lion partition ( which is my i7 DSDT).

If ur running the DSDT parser from Windows 7, just make sure there is no other DSDT.aml or DSDT.dsl in that drive, also check the folder of DSDTEditor-Linux-Mac-Win just remove any DSDT's from the folder and then finally run the app and generate the DSDT.dsl.

Mahesh I resinstalled and the good news is that I know have a boot loader when I boot :)

However, The resolution problem still stands. It really shouldn't be happening.

Funnily enough, in chameleon settings in system preferences, I took off graphics mode and my resolution dropped to 1024x768. Graphics enabler doesn't do anything either..

Please, I am begging you, find a solution, I even have wifi working! So close to the perfect Hackintosh!

EDIT: I have found the solution!! My XPS 17 is a 3D version so has no Intel integrated graphics! Thats why it isn't working. And seeing as I deleted all the Nvidia kexts I'm going to have to reinstall for the 5th time :(

Cheers

@ RDGnome

Can i know ur screen resolution and laptop specs ? U are not suppose to use graphicsenabler if u have optimus, it should be used only when u have 3d screen.

Have u removed all unnecessary kexts and have u cleared the kernelcache ? And then install

AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext and then install latest chameleon v2.1 bootloader and restart, it should activate graphics acceleration with QE/CI ( then it automatically switches to the native resolution of the laptop)

Update:

Check this thread http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?t=23185 , as my guide will only help people with no 3D screen.

Screen resolution: 1920x1080

Laptop: Dell XPS 17

CPU: i7 2630qm

GPU: Nvidia GT 555m 3D 1920 x1080

RAM: 6GB

2 HDDs.

Should I reinstall or is there something I can do now to allow me to get full resolution based on the facts that have just emerged?

Thanks

@ Jon Lachonis

Well u have attached my i7 DSDT instead of ur i5 DSDT, Have u generated DSDT from Lion or Windows 7 ? if ur running the DSDT Parser from Lion, make sure delete DSDT.aml from the root of the lion partition and then run the DSDT parser app, otherwise it just picks the DSDT.aml from the lion partition ( which is my i7 DSDT).

If ur running the DSDT parser from Windows 7, just make sure there is no other DSDT.aml or DSDT.dsl in that drive, also check the folder of DSDTEditor-Linux-Mac-Win just remove any DSDT's from the folder and then finally run the app and generate the DSDT.dsl.

Strange. I have deleted all instances of dsdt.dsl from windows, and it still seems to be generating an 8 core cpu reading. Do second gen I5's have 8 cores maybe? Regardless, here is one pulled from my windows after removing all appearances of DSDT.xxx

DSDT.rar

@ Jon Lachonis

Check this thread http://ark.intel.com...Cache-2_40-GHz).

Intel core i5 2430M is a dual core cpu with 4 threads. So it should show 4 cores cpu0, cpu1, cpu2 and cpu3 in the DSDT not 8 cores ( cpu0, cpu1, cpu2........cpu7). I dont know why u are not able to extract ur OEM DSDT.

I tried to follow that thread but its a little confusing.. I'm not so sure what to do and I don't want to mess anything up.

What BIOS do you have? I'm assuming A12, but I just updated my BIOS to A16. Will I be able to still use your resources with A16 BIOS? Just because the other method seem soo complicated when yours is so simple..

Thanks

Did you follow this guide?

Cheers

Sorry I just read your earlier posts and realised your a few steps behind me. I also did a clean load for the 5th time. this time I also selected the gf100 driver and added GraphicsEnabler=Yes to my smbios in the extra folder. I agree with you, the tonymax guide is very confusing, I tried a A16 dsdt from there and it left me with no USB or sound. Overall this guide has worked perfect, minus the graphics bit. But my system appears to be a third slower than its supposed to be???? I found someone with a similar problem and he was advised it could be a speedstep issue. So I'm going to update to 10.7.3 and try the powermanagement kext he was given.

WOOO HOOOO Geekbench score 10404

My bad, I forgot to delete Nullcpupowermanagement.kext.

so just to recap: if you have a 3D L702X, follow this guide but also pick gf100 driver, don't delete Geforce kexts and add GraphicsEnabler=Yes to org.chameleon.boot.plist in the extra folder.

Oh and Ive updated to 10.7.3

Edited by jupitersmoon

@ RDGnome, Jupitersmoon

Well please dont use my DSDT as it has dual Graphic cards ( Intel HD 3000 & Nvidia GT 555M) code. Where as 3D screen has a single Nvidia graphics card.

Please use StarbuckSteves A.16 DSDT & kexts and use my guide if it works for u.

I'll try that. So you can use this dsdt with the A16 BIOS? If you can I'll be happy because I was very close to getting a great Hackintosh.

yes

@ RDGnome, Jupitersmoon Well please dont use my DSDT as it has dual Graphic cards ( Intel HD 3000 & Nvidia GT 555M) code. Where as 3D screen has a single Nvidia graphics card. Please use StarbuckSteves A.16 DSDT & kexts and use my guide if it works for u.

sorry i just saw your post. i don't seem to have any issues at the moment. have you looked at starbucksteves post it has 47 pages. I tried his a16 dsdt, that was the one that stopped my usb and audio from functioning.

i am just stating it as a precaution, if something goes wrong please don't account me. Well 3D Screen DSDT code is different from Optimus DSDT. Specially in the Graphics or video card sections, if some conflicts arises then it might reduce the life of ur laptop. So be careful.

Can u send me ur Laptop DSDT or steve's DSDT, i will patch the DSDT. Preferably ur own vanilla DSDT.

Jupitersmoon, Do you choose the gf100 kext when installing? And do you follow the intelsnbgraphicfb.kext steps?

Cheers

Mahesh, Are you trying to patch the dsdt to suit our laptops? That would be awesome cheers.And what is a vanilla dsdt?

i am just stating it as a precaution, if something goes wrong please don't account me. Well 3D Screen DSDT code is different from Optimus DSDT. Specially in the Graphics or video card sections, if some conflicts arises then it might reduce the life of ur laptop. So be careful. Can u send me ur Laptop DSDT or steve's DSDT, i will patch the DSDT. Preferably ur own vanilla DSDT.

Hi. After some trial and error, I believe I have the vanilla DSDT for the i5.

dsdt.zip