RME Hammerfall DSP & OSx86

Suxx0r

7 posts in this topic

I'm into music production, have several (mostly outdated) Macs, use Logic Pro 7.2.x on a 1.25GHz PB 15" and usually need a lot of cpu power for my projects. So I had the idea in mind to build a Hackintosh and get finally the processing power that I'd need at a decent price. Started to buy parts following the HCL and assembled a machine in August 2005 that had no glitches at all. Only annoying fact: I had no good audiocard for that machine that would give me more than one output. Started to look around, compared prices, facts, reviews...

Finally, after months of doing web research, I bought the RME Hammerfall DSP CardBus, a PCMCIA card plus the external io-box Multiface. Found the neccessary PCI card as well, bought that one, installed in my Hackintosh, installed the drivers from RME's website and...bummer...nothing works :blink:

As I already expected something like that would be happening I was not disappointed, instead I contacted RME, told 'em about my problem "...that the card does not work with my Mac Pro..." what made them reply: actually it's no wonder due to PCI-x in the Mac Pro while the card is PCI. Wrote again to them, told em this time about my new idea to "...get a PCMCIA-2-USB adapter, use the Hammerfall DSP PCMCIA that way with the Mac Pro.....and...are there plans for a Universal Binary driver...". This time they replied they aren't sure if this is a good idea (latency, etc.) but "...yes, we are developing drivers already...".

Here's my question now (you may call me n00b or stupid...): if the card actually does not fit into the Mac Pro (refering to the PCI card) and Universal Binary drivers are needed in this case only for Intel-based Macs (there are working PPC drivers...), what sense does the drivers they currently develope make?

I don't assume they are supporting Hackintosh or hacked OSX installs, but what is that good for then?? Only thing I could imagine: they built a new card, PCIx-based, want to save time by recycling the existent driver and make that driver support the old PPCs, the new Intel Macs, the PCI cards and the new (maybe coming soon) PCI-x cards. Really curious about your ideas... :)

Best regards!

suxx0r

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the same problem and I was a bit afraid that I have to sell my 1000+ EUR hdsp system on ebay for 350 or whatever it is worth nowadays.

Only thing I could imagine: they built a new card, PCIx-based, want to save time by recycling the existent driver and make that driver support the old PPCs, the new Intel Macs, the PCI cards and the new (maybe coming soon) PCI-x cards. Really curious about your ideas... :compress:

I have also contacted RME support and asked, if there is a pci-express based card planned to connect a hdsp multiface. they got back very quickly with only 1 word: YES! I wrote another email - asked if they could tell me when it's going to be released, but got no answer yet.

seems we've got to sit this one out, huh?

• 2 months later...

hello? thread still alive??

i have the same problems with the hammerfall. only it is a hdsp9632 which, according to rme, is both mac and pc compatible. no g5 though, but osx86 is not bound to g5, right?

so does the above apply also to the hdsp9632??

thanks in advance...

Another unhappy Multiface/PCI camper... Funny that in "about this mac" -> "more info", there's a few odd things:

-PCI Cards: There are no reported PCI cards connected when in fact the RME PCI card is the only PCI card plugged into the system.

-Audio (Built-in): I used the Azalia/HDA patches and manged to get the onboard audio working, but it says "No Built-in Audio".

-Software\Applications\RME: The RME Settings and Mixer apps are clearly marked as "PowerPC", so new dirvers would seem to be the only way to go.

This seems to be my last hurdle on this system: OSX 10.4.8, P5W DH, 2 gigs, Nvidia 7600GT. Everything works (except probably wifi and remote, which I don't use). It would be nice to see the Multiface/PCI working as well.

limini

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...